Italian Greyhounds (and crosses)

I was out a wander with the pup yesterday and came across two beautiful retired greyhounds. I've always loved them and these are probably the first I've seen in person. 

Unfortunately, due to their size and the allergy problem we wouldn't ever be able to own greyhounds. We could have the smaller, hypoallergenic Italian greyhounds though. Are they any use at catching anything? I've heard they're fragile, could this be fixed by breeding them with a hardier dog like a terrier or similar? 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are a Toy breed. Useless for any hunting. Biggest health problem with them is breaking their legs jumping off the sofa. If you want a "mini greyhound" get a Whippet ? Cheers.

An Australian Borzoi, Im sure the owner won't mind me posting the pic, in fact, I think he may be a member on here; A UK Borzoi I judged at a show some years ago; Cheers.

Believe it or not, I will be more than likely jumped on , but this Italian stops plenty rabbits, it had plenty  of drive ,it’s crazy when it gets a scent but the same as last time this topic arose ,th

Posted Images

1 minute ago, chartpolski said:

They are a Toy breed. Useless for any hunting. Biggest health problem with them is breaking their legs jumping off the sofa.

If you want a "mini greyhound" get a Whippet ?

Cheers.

i love whippets and lurchers, just the allergy problem that stopped us from getting a whippet, although that can be fixed with a bedlington whippet cross. shame the italians are so shite 

7 minutes ago, lurchers said:

I’ve always liked the Italian greyhounds a lad near me his mate has 2 and he says he can’t let the off the leads because one has broke its leg before sprinting about.

thats a gutter, i feel if they were done right and toughened up with breeding they could be be brillaint pocket sized little lurchers but i cant see them being worth the effort 

Just now, Scheme_Lakeland said:

thats a gutter, i feel if they were done right and toughened up with breeding they could be be brillaint pocket sized little lurchers but i cant see them being worth the effort 

That’s what put me off the breed as I was getting it for the wife till I looked into them.

2 minutes ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

did he mention whether they still had any drive at all? or was that bred out of them ?

They are just lap dogs mate that’s what the breed is but they shouldn’t have brittle bones like that but it’s a breed fault.And at the time they were £800 a pup I thought I would rather save my money.

8 minutes ago, lurchers said:

They are just lap dogs mate that’s what the breed is but they shouldn’t have brittle bones like that but it’s a breed fault.And at the time they were £800 a pup I thought I would rather save my money.

definitely would be better off with the cash in that case

9 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Plenty of people in sweden, scandinavia, race them regularly.  The ones I've watched certainly have plenty of drive etc, and are not fragile.

? you make me chuckle mate not fragile ? plenty a drive ? 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Plenty of people in sweden, scandinavia, race them regularly.  The ones I've watched certainly have plenty of drive etc, and are not fragile.

purebreed italian greyhound? only reason I'm so interested is because i want a lurcher type pup and its either that or a bedlingotn whippet to go along with families allergies