What makes a good breading box

What makes a good size sleeping box for a Jill who is expecting kits. The size of my cages are two story 2.5 meters long and 1 meter wide. I am going to close of one of them and will be putting in a sleeping in the bottom one. My main question is what would be a good size for her and her kits and what is the best type of bedding to use. In the past I have used clean rags and not had a problem with that. But the box that she was in the last couple of years was a meter wide and 900 long. At the moment that is where all 6 of them sleep together with out a problem. I won’t need it for another couple of months but due to being in lockdown I thought I would make a start on it. All ideas will be taken on board. Thanks. 

Yes I have heard of ferrets going into season with artificial light but mine are kept where they don’t get any light except during day time their is no artificial light source from anywhere. The last thing I am trying to avoid is my Jill going into season more than once as I have two jills and trying to of load anywhere up to 20 + kits once a year is not so easy. As I like to turn over a ferret or two each year for my stock. Also it’s good for my two kids as they do get involved in looking after them. One old timer I know he floods the market every year and and normally offloads them very quickly but last year he didn’t do so well and still has ferrets left over. Possibly due to COVID and lockdowns. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Guss33 said:

Forgot to ask what type of bedding do people use for their ferrets. I have being using clean rags that get changed on a weakly basis. Or am I better of using straw or hay. 

The only thing with rags is you have to watch out the kits don't get wound up in them and can't feed, I've done alright with clean, not dusty straw. I once lost a jill when I put sugar cane mulch for bedding, I don't know if it had anything to do with it, whether it had chemical spray on it or something but it didn't hurt the kits and had to hand raise them.

• Like 1

Nice fresh, soft Barley Straw allows the ferrets to make a good secure nest...

Nothing better than gently parting the straw to see your Bitch, nursing her kits....

I miss little things like that....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Nice fresh, soft Barley Straw allows the ferrets to make a good secure nest...

Nothing better than gently parting the straw to see your Bitch, nursing her kits....

I miss little things like that....?

PICT0049.tif.jpg

been doing that for the last week phil.....got a jill here with just two kits a week old ...a hob and jill that are  growing well...would have liked a few more and ran the hole litter on but there you go ..they are Chuckles grand children...

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, socks said:

They will be far superior now he using a Jill from exceptional working lines ??? ……….

lol....

i have a hob that Newkid gave me last year ....been a cracking worker in his first year....newkid said the hob was out of some of your stuff you gave him a few year back...so all good mate...

of course Vin recons all your good stock is out of Chuckels anyway....cos he sent you and james a ton of kits years ago....lol

Yep, Chuckles was as good as I've seen ,...he had a phenomenal prey drive,..quite unusual and had to be seen to be believed...?

Mind you, he nearly didn't get into the Hall of Fame.....

My Cur bitch was waiting on a bolt, and a corker of a large buck shot out of a hole just behind...

She turned and struck it like a cobra,...job over,...?

Unfortunately, Chuckles was attached and riding the Buck, like a mustiline Frankie Detori....?

It did not look good....❗

I gave the old ferret a wee bit of resuscitation (well I shook him until he responded).. mercifully,  all was well..

But, it was an emotional few minutes and Vin was running to get Excalibur , my much-loved, much used, digging spade...

Whether he was going to bury the luckless pug or my wee lurcher, I never got to find out..?

Anyway, I used a revitalised Chuckles over my own Black polecat bitch, and the resulting progeny turned out to be exceptional...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

lol....

i have a hob that Newkid gave me last year ....been a cracking worker in his first year....newkid said the hob was out of some of your stuff you gave him a few year back...so all good mate...

of course Vin recons all your good stock is out of Chuckels anyway....cos he sent you and james a ton of kits years ago....lol

??? all those are dead ???