If you could only have one dog

7 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

To be fair, yes, I like a drop of bull blood in a lurcher. I worked half crosses long enough to know both their strenghths and weaknesses and I just get on with them, we worked well together.

Thing is, my game has changed so much over these past years. I really don't need such an animal anymore. As an opportunist hunter, what i need is what i put in the post before, something fast enough to be able to catch day and night. I'm just hoping this current youngster has got enough speed for them daytime runs. And if not, i'd need more coursing blood but i don't want, nor need a 'full' coursing dog and i know that because i'm no stranger to them, or Ormskirk magistraites either... ?

Full coursing dog bosun a good one has a better brain in its head than out mate cover reading land etc some just can not be shook off no matter what the quarry tries ive never seen this with any other type mate ? 

What puts you off full.coursing bred?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’d say my choice would be what I’ve got now I only have one dog for everything I do there’s better dogs out there for individual jobs but I use a collie greyhound beddy greyhound x I think this cross

My choice would be a we beddy whippet greyhound 

?Its a difficult choice to make,...its been a long old life with lurchers...? Regarding lurchers,.. I seem to have undergone a sequence of evolutionary changes over the years, and what suited me 

Posted Images

Never had a bull blooded dog, (had a pure bull bitch once, but that's another story !), 

Absolutely nothing against bull x's, I've seen some good 'uns, but the work I do and the quarry I hunt doesn't need the special attributes that bull blood brings.

Cheers.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Never had a bull blooded dog, (had a pure bull bitch once, but that's another story !), 

Absolutely nothing against bull x's, I've seen some good 'uns, but the work I do and the quarry I hunt doesn't need the special attributes that bull blood brings.

Cheers.

Daytime single charts be better with a catapult mate ? unless its daytime with a spade and terrier ? 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Daytime single charts be better with a catapult mate ? unless its daytime with a spade and terrier ? 

Tried the spade and Terrier lark once, long ago, before locatators ! Soon kicked that into touch, the only spade work I do these days is in my Allotments ! ? !

Cheers.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Tried the spade and Terrier lark once, long ago, before locatators ! Soon kicked that into touch, the only spade work I do these days is in my Allotments ! ? !

Cheers.

I've found it the same with a locater mate ? had respect for them little terriers but alot a faacking about for a fox ? 

Been reminiscing of dogs i have had and seen in the past one dog comes to mind even though i did not own it i believe it was a mix of saluki / greyhound and collie and his blood was in lucky the dark destroyers pedigree way back . A big strong dog that could take any edible quarry and loved a fox its the type of dog i would love around me if i was to live off grid on a remote island surrounded by edible quarry.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Full coursing dog bosun a good one has a better brain in its head than out mate cover reading land etc some just can not be shook off no matter what the quarry tries ive never seen this with any other type mate ? 

What puts you off full.coursing bred?

I've not owned a coursing dog for over 30 years but now i'd want a dog that will try to stop a hare in one field, not run it over three. I also want sommat that will return almost as fast as it went out. I've always had a problem with dogs that didn't. Maybe i'll go back to full coursing blood but not yet...

I'm hoping that the coursing blood in my little bitch does what i was told it tries to do, which is pressure it's quarry and try to kill it quick and the bull blood in her will have her return to my side asap and i'll gel with her better too!

Sadly, knowing my luck, i'll have a three field plodder that can't catch shit and is so indifferent to me, that she spends more time with the local dog warden. Where's that fecking gun..! ?‍♂️ ?

6 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Been there my self mate soon figured out my little arms weren’t cut out for shifting dirt ?fair play to the lads shifting it though. Same as you I stick to the allotment/no dig ?

1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

Its not baiting mate ??thats what the hare would do if the bull x did get near it mate let it strike then nip its arse in at the last second ??

You don’t just bring the match to the fire ? you bring the fuel ⛽️ I like it ??

13 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Been reminiscing of dogs i have had and seen in the past one dog comes to mind even though i did not own it i believe it was a mix of saluki / greyhound and collie and his blood was in lucky the dark destroyers pedigree way back . A big strong dog that could take any edible quarry and loved a fox its the type of dog i would love around me if i was to live off grid on a remote island surrounded by edible quarry.

Seen some good un's bred the same Tat's. Though many would not take foxes.

35 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Seen some good un's bred the same Tat's. Though many would not take foxes.

I never saw this said dog take fox but had it off reliable lads this dog would bust a gut for one. I know it's no big deal but the first time this dog run on the harsh moors above Sheffield and was not a young dog gave a good account of himself and as i watched him and how he handled the terrain was impressive.

?Its a difficult choice to make,...its been a long old life with lurchers...?

Regarding lurchers,.. I seem to have undergone a sequence of evolutionary changes over the years, and what suited me then,.sure wouldn't suit me now..?

One type of hunter that I feel might possibly fill the bill, would be Mercedes...

She was a good old stick, bred me some nice pups and got me the cash to put down on my little house...

We worked together for several years, and her efforts sure did help in paying the Mortgage...

I valued her assistance financially, but I never really liked her all that much,..we did not see eye to eye ,..and accordingly I was not the best of men with her... I regret this...?

Anyway, I would still have to place her high on my list of genuine jukels, and she could certainly stop most critters..?

Nice to look back lads,..but times have changed....

Go careful Brothers, stay safe, OldPhil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 8