Helium balloons should be banned

I don’t subscribe to the nanny state  , where everything should be banned. But when folk release these helium filled balloons or for that matter fire lanterns, they are no longer responsible for what happens to them when they reach the ground . Most of us don’t throw  our litter on the street, so why is it alright to release it into the sky to land who knows where ? 
        Not only is it an ugly litter nuisance they have the potential to kill livestock. The guys from our local pack pick up fallen stock and when they skin them they often do a bit of a PM if the farmer isn’t sure why the beast is dead , and one of the big killers is helium balloons. 
            On the other hand I watched a balloon drift down and land by an old oak tree . I went to pick it up and there was a note attached. The balloon had been released in Wales and had travelled some 90 miles to Gloucestershire. There was a message and phone number on it . It was released after the death of a 9 year old girl who had batted cancer . I rang the number and it was the girls mother , I told her the balloon had gently landed under an oak tree in a beautiful setting . She sobbed and thanked me for ringing, that was quite moving. What are your thoughts?

30B7D578-2C67-489D-B120-01F82F6A441F.jpeg

• Like 2

Reading the first half you wrote mate I thought yes ban them...

But reading the second part I thought keep me them. So I don't know what's best..but fair play for ringing the mum of that child ?

• Like 6

They are a pain in the arse we get them wrapped around the overheads in work and my job is to remove them it’s what we call a show stopper trains at a stand and overheads switched off. 

• Like 2

I can pick up half a dozen on a walk, they are a blot on the land, the story of the baby is sad but the lady could have just gone and planted a tree for here daughter, it’s quite nice that it landed were it did, but could have just as easily been eaten by a cow etc ?

• Like 3
On 13/07/2021 at 15:11, shovel leaner said:

I don’t subscribe to the nanny state  , where everything should be banned. But when folk release these helium filled balloons or for that matter fire lanterns, they are no longer responsible for what happens to them when they reach the ground . Most of us don’t throw  our litter on the street, so why is it alright to release it into the sky to land who knows where ? 
        Not only is it an ugly litter nuisance they have the potential to kill livestock. The guys from our local pack pick up fallen stock and when they skin them they often do a bit of a PM if the farmer isn’t sure why the beast is dead , and one of the big killers is helium balloons. 
            On the other hand I watched a balloon drift down and land by an old oak tree . I went to pick it up and there was a note attached. The balloon had been released in Wales and had travelled some 90 miles to Gloucestershire. There was a message and phone number on it . It was released after the death of a 9 year old girl who had batted cancer . I rang the number and it was the girls mother , I told her the balloon had gently landed under an oak tree in a beautiful setting . She sobbed and thanked me for ringing, that was quite moving. What are your thoughts?

30B7D578-2C67-489D-B120-01F82F6A441F.jpeg

Fair do mate for ringing , nice of you that

A couple of weeks ago i was 7 miles off shore fishing and one was being blown along on top of the water,nice little story but a gentle bit of education to the mother also maybe wouldn't have gone a miss as they might feck a load more up in remembrance or something due to the success of the balloon you found...Feck it even plant a tree for her daughter then ask the mum not to fly any more but come see how much the tree has grown every year or something.

• Like 1