Cow hocked pup

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How old is the pup? With very fast growing pups they often outgrow themselves in sometimes bizarre ways. If he's destined to be big and leggy with it, it could be he's just going through a horrible st

U could be walking into big problems mate me personally I would get it a pet home iam not telling u watt to do now that's just.me all the best ferret man ?

All these boys telling u do.this do that just ask urself would they keep that pup if they had it for a working dog try this try that my advice is try and get it a new home and get urself a good pup al

Posted Images

On 11/07/2021 at 20:53, TOM HEAVY said:

Cheers for you in put lads, is there anyone on here with 1st hand experience with a dog which had/has this condition??

Yep had a lurcher cow legged he was a good dog his mind didn’t worry bout his legs he was jumping 5 bars at 12 it’s a leg situation dog won’t know that keep on if he’s smart hel over come it  

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1

Some of the best bred ain’t got the mind  might have the looks but  , bent legs won’t affect a savvy catch dog  in lurcher work day ferreting lamp I’d rather a cow hocked with a good hunting catch brain than a show stopper with a brain like a fish 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 2

That’s like put someone on callipers to someone with normal legs in a hundred meters dash,they won’t win simple as but yer it might be ok for ferret work but it will get left behind on a good run across the fields.The best thing for the dog it pet home or pts as I don’t care if it turned out to be a top rabbit dog ya wouldn’t breed off it.

• Like 2

Pups are 6 months old on Friday. My bitch has been fed everything as per Phil's post and more; 70% bone and raw, 20% Orijen / Gain puppy, 10% fish, scraps etc.

I've not been over enthusiastic by giving her 30 mile hikes or beastings through the spring time slop. Just gentle walks up to an hour 3 times a day.

At 5 months old she was bigger than my whippet lad and is very keen. I'm more than happy with her so far and will see how it goes. 

Are her legs a cause for concern? My experience on this subject is limited.

Cheers 

A.

20210712_182638.jpg

20210607_153931.jpg

20210713_200151.jpg

15 minutes ago, AgronaSGL said:

Pups are 6 months old on Friday. My bitch has been fed everything as per Phil's post and more; 70% bone and raw, 20% Orijen / Gain puppy, 10% fish, scraps etc.

I've not been over enthusiastic by giving her 30 mile hikes or beastings through the spring time slop. Just gentle walks up to an hour 3 times a day.

At 5 months old she was bigger than my whippet lad and is very keen. I'm more than happy with her so far and will see how it goes. 

Cheers 

A.

20210712_182638.jpg

20210607_153931.jpg

20210713_200151.jpg

Ow that pic doesn’t look as bad as the 1st pic you put up,if you are happy with the dog just keep doing what ya do and enjoy it.If at anytime time you think it’s getting worse and the dog is uncomfortable just do the right thing for the dog.Hope it catches loads for you and lives a happy life but just remember it is a fault and don’t breed it into any pups you fancy from it atb.

22 minutes ago, lurchers said:

Ow that pic doesn’t look as bad as the 1st pic you put up,if you are happy with the dog just keep doing what ya do and enjoy it.If at anytime time you think it’s getting worse and the dog is uncomfortable just do the right thing for the dog.Hope it catches loads for you and lives a happy life but just remember it is a fault and don’t breed it into any pups you fancy from it atb.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse or hijack the thread. I've got a pup out of this littler too.

Had my Whippets 6/7 years and they've been 100% for me but I still chose not to breed them; even when prices went up ten fold. Won't breed this bitch if she's not up to scratch, end of but couldn't bring meself to do a Bill Hardy and "drop her in the Trent" if she doesn't make the grade. Could do with his input now actually; he had a few Mali's and Shepherds through his kennels if I recall... Bill?

In the original post,  the pup is very coo hocked. However,  he looks all over the place in his growth . And pictures can make things look worse . A little video of him walking and playing might give lads with a bit of experience of this a better advantage to pass comment,. Personally I'd stick to short regular walks and a bit of free running,  as for the feeding . If hes on too much protein,  it might not be doing him favours as hes growing too fast . So I will go against the grain with advice and if it was me I'd stick with a very good complete puppy diet for next 5 months with a good chicken thigh for breakfast.  Seen it so many times fix bow legged pups . Yes I know this is a different condition.  Just to say , I've seen coo hocked dogs make good workers . But not as bad as that picture shows . Atb whatever you decide 

Edited by The drover
  • Like 1
59 minutes ago, The drover said:

In the original post,  the pup is very coo hocked. However,  he looks all over the place in his growth . And pictures can make things look worse . A little video of him walking and playing might give lads with a bit of experience of this a better advantage to pass comment,. Personally I'd stick to short regular walks and a bit of free running,  as for the feeding . If hes on too much protein,  it might not be doing him favours as hes growing too fast . So I will go against the grain with advice and if it was me I'd stick with a very good complete puppy diet for next 5 months with a good chicken thigh for breakfast.  Seen it so many times fix bow legged pups . Yes I know this is a different condition.  Just to say , I've seen coo hocked dogs make good workers . But not as bad as that picture shows . Atb whatever you decide 

It's not the same pup I don't think it's a Different lad with same condition I could be wrong 

I wouldn't right the dog off just yet ,as been said its only young and with good feed and plenty of Rd work and field work the pup might turn out a good un ,

I see lirchers you not think catch a rabbit in a box but looks mean nothing .

• Like 1
19 hours ago, AgronaSGL said:

Cheers 

A.

20210712_182638.jpg

20210607_153931.jpg

20210713_200151.jpg

That looks cow hocked aswell mate? parents and them 2 not worth breeding from or the full litter to be honest ?

Edited by mC HULL
  • Like 2