Cow hocked pup

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How old is the pup? With very fast growing pups they often outgrow themselves in sometimes bizarre ways. If he's destined to be big and leggy with it, it could be he's just going through a horrible st

U could be walking into big problems mate me personally I would get it a pet home iam not telling u watt to do now that's just.me all the best ferret man ?

All these boys telling u do.this do that just ask urself would they keep that pup if they had it for a working dog try this try that my advice is try and get it a new home and get urself a good pup al

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TOM HEAVY said:

Cheers for you in put lads, is there anyone on here with 1st hand experience with a dog which had/has this condition??

Yes that's watt iam trying to tell u mate I've had running dogs for 50 years now and not too many cow hocked dogs will make the grade there mite be some exception But very few and far between mate is it going to be worth the risk for u ?

• Like 2

Cheers for you in put lads, is there anyone on here with 1st hand experience with a dog which had/has this condition??

Yes that's watt iam trying to tell u mate I've had running dogs for 50 years now and not too many cow hocked dogs will make the grade there mite be some exception But very few and far between mate is it going to be worth the risk for u ?

Just now, Ferretman65 said:

Why u say it twice billy

How old is the pup? With very fast growing pups they often outgrow themselves in sometimes bizarre ways. If he's destined to be big and leggy with it, it could be he's just going through a horrible stage. As Socks says, get him on a properly balanced raw diet: meat, bone, offal, minced veg. Don't exercise him too much or let him gallop about like a nutter all the time. There's a time and place for serious exercise, and whilst pups do need regular exercise, it shouldn't be charging around flat out. A bit of lead walking, let him run around for an hour every day, but don't try and build up muscle until he has finished his skeletal growth.

Could be he'll always be a bit cow hocked, but I've had a couple who were slightly cow hocked and they worked just fine and carried on working to a ripe old age.

• Like 8
15 hours ago, TOM HEAVY said:

Evening lads, 

wondering if anyone can shed a bit of light on this as my pup has the above condition and i am obviously concerned about the longevity of his working career or if it even worth entering him!??

gutted is an understatement!!

ive put alot of time in and he has taken to most thing very naturally, he’s got a great temperament and showing great potential, i just cant see him lasting very long the way his hind legs are. Is it worth a try or should i start again?? any advise from anyone with experience would be helpful and appreciated.

ATB thanks in advance

6F911B1F-AA17-4E1A-A9E4-776A0474D8FB.jpeg

6A5AA657-698B-4579-BDDB-D74E14B18D72.png

Obviously the dog is cow hocked , but i also notice it has week looking wrists also its shoulders look very straight , i wonder if it has to stand awkwardly when feeding from his bowl . The life of a working lurcher can be a hard one and a  dog needs to be sound of limb if it is going to be worked as intended if not it will soon be found out . I hope you resolve your dilemma .

Just now, Moocher71 said:

You never no ,pup might turn out good worker ,see how it goes [BANNED TEXT] you give up on the pup   

Got one here a bit cow hocked who made a great worker and retired now he's 11 yr old ,wouldn't let him go as he's a joy to have and put some stuff away in his time .don't right the pup off just yet ,but its down to you  and how you feel about the dog 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, skycat said:

How old is the pup? With very fast growing pups they often outgrow themselves in sometimes bizarre ways. If he's destined to be big and leggy with it, it could be he's just going through a horrible stage. As Socks says, get him on a properly balanced raw diet: meat, bone, offal, minced veg. Don't exercise him too much or let him gallop about like a nutter all the time. There's a time and place for serious exercise, and whilst pups do need regular exercise, it shouldn't be charging around flat out. A bit of lead walking, let him run around for an hour every day, but don't try and build up muscle until he has finished his skeletal growth.

Could be he'll always be a bit cow hocked, but I've had a couple who were slightly cow hocked and they worked just fine and carried on working to a ripe old age.

Good advice once again ?