High mileage motors

Just now, dodger said:

Real shame that after it served you so well but just goes to show what some will do if looked after do you think I modern diesels are as capable even tho there's more that can go wrong compared to older simpler diesels

The 1.9tdi VW engine will run forever .

• Like 6

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 1.9tdi VW engine will run forever .

My brothers 4.2 landcruiser Amazon has 400,000 miles on , it’s used most days , starts before you finish turning the key , tows a three ton digger on a one and a half ton plant trailer up stupidly ste

When father died mother sold his Volvo 244 to a local milkman (1979), that car was last year to be still running on nearly 400K. Depends how they've been driven/serviced/repaired. We've just put

Posted Images

1 minute ago, sid g said:

i never spend more than a grand on a car use em till they cant be used anymore i`ve always had a decent van for work cars dont mean much to me i`ve got through the last 7 year with 1400 quids worth of car and i had 360 quid back in scrap from them 

Will you get another van mate ? 
I know you like to keep your hand in and ticking over.

16 minutes ago, WILF said:

I think modern motors are built to sell parts mate, there’s f**k all money in selling you the motor, all the money is in parts and repairs. 

Exactly that. Fit a new part a lot got to be programmed to the car now. Will kill the little one man band in the end. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, sid g said:

i never spend more than a grand on a car use em till they cant be used anymore i`ve always had a decent van for work cars dont mean much to me i`ve got through the last 7 year with 1400 quids worth of car and i had 360 quid back in scrap from them 

I get were your coming from there must be a lot of money lost from people chopping n changing motors over a lifetime if it doesn't let me down is reliable n good on juice I'll keep It

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Exactly that. Fit a new part a lot got to be programmed to the car now. Will kill the little one man band in the end. 

I can’t afford to think about brand new motors anymore these days but even when it didn’t matter I wouldn’t have bought a brand new van.

Something chain driven, good nic, decent make, few bills round it and enough room in the price for a proper mechanic to go right through it properly and that’s where I’m at.

Mileage on anything German don’t really scare me.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, WILF said:

I can’t afford to think about brand new motors anymore these days but even when it didn’t matter I wouldn’t have bought a brand new van.

Something chain driven, good nic, decent make, few bills round it and enough room in the price for a proper mechanic to go right through it properly and that’s where I’m at.

The way our tractors are going it’s a nightmare. Can’t just change a injector anymore got to be programmed to tell tractor it’s had a new one etc. And with dpf valves egr valves. Ad blue is a joke £500 a valve. £1000 for the pump. And that blue is corrosive as feck. 

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

The way our tractors are going it’s a nightmare. Can’t just change a injector anymore got to be programmed to tell tractor it’s had a new one etc. And with dpf valves egr valves. Ad blue is a joke £500 a valve. £1000 for the pump. And that blue is corrosive as feck. 

That’s pure robbery mate.

Just now, WILF said:

That’s pure robbery mate.

£600 to switch it off ? but things are getting stupid hourly rate £75 plus mileage for call out. Nearest dealership 30 mile. Boss is changing brand now to our nearest dealer 6 mile 

2 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

£600 to switch it off ? but things are getting stupid hourly rate £75 plus mileage for call out. Nearest dealership 30 mile. Boss is changing brand now to our nearest dealer 6 mile 

I left the key to my ML350 at Gare Du Nord station years ago ! ……2 hours out of Paris I’m tapping my pocket looking for the key “bollocks !” 

That little turn out came to a monkey and that was nearly 20 years ago ! Ouch ! 

3 minutes ago, sid g said:

i buy old fords keep em running with 2nd hand parts i get em through 1 mot then scrap em or get something different i had a ford ka full mot cost me 230 quid sprayed the back windows took the back seat out used it as a little van scrapped it for 120 after a year , 

Every pounds a prisoner lol 

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
7 hours ago, WILF said:

Having a timing chain instead of a belt means nothing nowadays , some belts have a better life than chains , my chain went on my car at 60 thousand mile at 3 1/2 year old ..

Some belts now last 100/150 thousand mile 

• Like 3

got 220 thou on this Citroen berlingo ...cost me £600  about 4-5 year ago....its a 2l tdi....does 50 to the gallon...previouse owner had it remaped or something ....so it shifts as well....

just keeps going ...engin seems sweet as 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, TOMO said:

got 220 thou on this Citroen berlingo ...cost me £600  about 4-5 year ago....its a 2l tdi....does 50 to the gallon...previouse owner had it remaped or something ....so it shifts as well....

just keeps going ...engin seems sweet as 

Always heard good things about belingos 

8 hours ago, Chid said:

Having a timing chain instead of a belt means nothing nowadays , some belts have a better life than chains , my chain went on my car at 60 thousand mile at 3 1/2 year old ..

Some belts now last 100/150 thousand mile 

Exactly that mate.Had a duplex twin timing chain kit fitted on my pathfinder as them and the navaras are known for snapping the standard chains resulting in full engine rebuilds.Heard a few vauxhall's that run chains are bad for it too.