Jagd terriers and bigger game hunting

6 hours ago, jagdforlife said:

funny to read this thread of hog hunting. I do not regonized jagdterrier all writings. I own one from german bloodlines. I have own also english bullterrier and that has nothing to give for cross anything for hunting. I own also dogo argentino and see that in thread no ones mentions nothing about breed.

i can say that jagd used for hog hunting in germany and austria. In one hunt session put down 200pcs hogs and jagd are the dogs in the hunt.

so maybe you need to study more and bought dogs where they are from.

You do not need to shock collar etc. that need is show of bad dog keeping.

True Jagd’s are intelligent and smart dogs and care of its owners will / wants.

also dogo argentinos are bred for hog hunting buy one or more from hunting lines from argentina and you have hog hunting dogs.

And dogos are a banned breed here in the uk.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've made the statement  somewhere  on here before that a 15 pound otter will test a terrier much more than a 150 lb boar.Something to that effect.  

Both would be pretty useless to tbh.Whats the point in a protection dog that can be kicked up in the air

There's a German video on YouTube of someone training jagd to retrieve to the gun,  earth work etc too with the same dog.  Don't they have to pass working tests over there to be bred from 

Posted Images

On 07/07/2021 at 20:38, Scheme_Lakeland said:

I’ve seen a lot of hog hunting videos and they all seem to favour either the jagd terrier, pitbull terrier or english bull terrier.

does the Jagd have any sort of advantage over say a patterdale or something of that type? 

No 

they’re no good for digging either

they will bolt a fox if said fox sits back 

if fox is a good winter weathered animal 

they probably won’t 

ATB .. T

• Like 2
On 03/08/2021 at 18:23, jagdforlife said:

I have own also english bullterrier and that has nothing to give for cross anything for hunting.

The EBT is probably the best ingredient in a pig dog here in OZ. Crossed with stags, mastiffs, cattle dogs, greys and the list goes on. All the best pigdogs have EBT in the mix.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 08/07/2021 at 11:25, Scheme_Lakeland said:

Patterdale just seems to be the “perfect” terrier and can do more or less anything, but I have seen a jagd terrier used as a personal protection dog which I’ve never seen from a patterdale 

Both would be pretty useless to tbh.Whats the point in a protection dog that can be kicked up in the air

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

A few year ago there seemed to be a craze going of importing ‘hard as nails’ jagd terriers going on here in Ireland on fb and on here ,some of them selling for massive money. Them same jagd terriers are nowhere to be seen now and any serious digging men are still using the same old black dogs that they have always been digging too. Tells you a lot really. Lads will keep whatever works the best and that’s the black dogs. For me a terriers job is for earthwork nothing else. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/07/2021 at 06:25, Scheme_Lakeland said:

Patterdale just seems to be the “perfect” terrier and can do more or less anything, but I have seen a jagd terrier used as a personal protection dog which I’ve never seen from a patterdale 

A small dog like a patterdale is like a hog wearing an earing on it ear. The next thing you can do is watch the hog run off with your dog dangling from its ear. Size matters. But I'm talking a out stopping a hog. JMO

On 03/08/2021 at 18:23, jagdforlife said:

funny to read this thread of hog hunting. I do not regonized jagdterrier all writings. I own one from german bloodlines. I have own also english bullterrier and that has nothing to give for cross anything for hunting. I own also dogo argentino and see that in thread no ones mentions nothing about breed.

i can say that jagd used for hog hunting in germany and austria. In one hunt session put down 200pcs hogs and jagd are the dogs in the hunt.

so maybe you need to study more and bought dogs where they are from.

You do not need to shock collar etc. that need is show of bad dog keeping.

True Jagd’s are intelligent and smart dogs and care of its owners will / wants.

also dogo argentinos are bred for hog hunting buy one or more from hunting lines from argentina and you have hog hunting dogs.

Jadgforlife the way dogs are used in Europe  in your driven hunts is very different from the way dogs are used to hunt feral pigs in Australia. Where a hound or jagd that give voice are just the ticket for driving game to guns, this is far from the method dogs are required to run silent use their nose and get quickly up on their game make a catch and hold the pig so the hunter can catch up and dispatch the game with a knife. Bull terriers both pure and cross bred  have been used for fifty years that I know and the Bull terrier brings a lot to a pig hunting dog. Not only the tenacity to see the job through to the end but but also exerlent nose and heat tollerence. As a pure bred they are a bit slow now a days as pigs have also evolved so the cross to greyhound or staghound adds the length of leg and speed to be able to foot it with the most fleet of foot pigs in all types of terrain. 

• Like 1
On 31/10/2021 at 10:17, JOHN K said:

As well as for personal protection. Man stopping needs some size. If we talking about just biting then yes any dog can bite. 

They can but most are just bluff, not man stoppers but I wouldn't try to get into a car with an attacked trained jagd and neither would most sane people.

On 06/11/2021 at 10:41, stevemac said:

Jadgforlife the way dogs are used in Europe  in your driven hunts is very different from the way dogs are used to hunt feral pigs in Australia. Where a hound or jagd that give voice are just the ticket for driving game to guns, this is far from the method dogs are required to run silent use their nose and get quickly up on their game make a catch and hold the pig so the hunter can catch up and dispatch the game with a knife. Bull terriers both pure and cross bred  have been used for fifty years that I know and the Bull terrier brings a lot to a pig hunting dog. Not only the tenacity to see the job through to the end but but also exerlent nose and heat tollerence. As a pure bred they are a bit slow now a days as pigs have also evolved so the cross to greyhound or staghound adds the length of leg and speed to be able to foot it with the most fleet of foot pigs in all types of terrain. 

Your last sentence stevemac, in regard to pigs having evolved and the dogs bred to hunt them have been developed accordingly in your country in perhaps a relatively short period of time? Great stuff! As has been the case in the developed world for centuries, the brown hare and greyhounds/competition "lurchers" in the British Isles being a prime example of the natural wild quarry improving due to being hunted and the hunting dog needing to be improved by testing and selective breeding creating the best in both. 

How the pigs and dogs used to catch them have evolved/developed I am sure would make a fascinating subject for a book.

• Like 1
On 09/11/2021 at 05:29, Aussie Whip said:

They can but most are just bluff, not man stoppers but I wouldn't try to get into a car with an attacked trained jagd and neither would most sane people.

Yes I agree with that most sane people won't. I am referring yo someone who is not a sane person coming into your home. A 90 lbs bulldog who is trained will STOP the intruder. A small dog is just a deterrent. No stopping power. A person on drugs with bad intentions can't do much with a 90 lbs dog hanging off his face. Jmo

Edited by JOHN K
4 hours ago, JOHN K said:

Yes I agree with that most sane people won't. I am referring yo someone who is not a sane person coming into your home. A 90 lbs bulldog who is trained will STOP the intruder. A small dog is just a deterrent. No stopping power. A person on drugs with bad intentions can't do much with a 90 lbs dog hanging off his face. Jmo

I agree that's why I have these pair of pit/Am bulldogs. They love family, hate strangers, no bluff in them.

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_E0818.JPG

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 2