Jagd terriers and bigger game hunting

8 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Someone I know shifted there’s on pretty quick. Complete fruit cakes 

He said he would never have another but has had about 4 of them,I think lesson would of been learnt after the second one.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've made the statement  somewhere  on here before that a 15 pound otter will test a terrier much more than a 150 lb boar.Something to that effect.  

Both would be pretty useless to tbh.Whats the point in a protection dog that can be kicked up in the air

There's a German video on YouTube of someone training jagd to retrieve to the gun,  earth work etc too with the same dog.  Don't they have to pass working tests over there to be bred from 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I've made the statement  somewhere  on here before that a 15 pound otter will test a terrier much more than a 150 lb boar.Something to that effect.

That’s fair enough, don’t know much about otters but I can imagine they’re a difficult animal to get a hold of 

question to the people who got experience with jagd terriers. from the few people i know of who got experience with jagds i heard that they kind of have a will of their own. and so are way more difficult to control and to learn things than say a patterdale. for instance they said to me that they had such an high prey drive that it would be as good as impossible to for instance catch rats in a chicken pen without also killing all the chickens.  how do the people here think about stories like that? are they controlable or not?

2 hours ago, huckelberry said:

question to the people who got experience with jagd terriers. from the few people i know of who got experience with jagds i heard that they kind of have a will of their own. and so are way more difficult to control and to learn things than say a patterdale. for instance they said to me that they had such an high prey drive that it would be as good as impossible to for instance catch rats in a chicken pen without also killing all the chickens.  how do the people here think about stories like that? are they controlable or not?

I haven't owned one but imagine their over the top drive to destroy would overide their survival instinct and sense. Maybe a lot have been bred with exaggerated courage making them a danger to themselves more than heightened ability on game. I wouldn't want one for hunting in Oz.

My father  could only control his jagterriers with shock collars.A jagdterrier who is independent  enough to run a hog alone for several miles doesn't really care what his owner thinks or wants.He works for himself.A will of his own.The way I controlled the one I had was I hunted her on big islands where she couldn't leave and everything  on the island was fair game.The last canine in the world I would choose to take in an active henhouse would be a jagdterrier.Just my opinion. 

• Like 2

A Ukrainian  brought a certified jag here to hunt one night for hog.The only thing the dog found was a neighbors cow and clamped down on its nose.?

The certifications they do doesn't make it a good hogdog or digging dog.

I have been disappointed  by a few "certified" jagterriers I have seen.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I'm not saying the certificate means it's a good worker it just shows that they are trainable unlike others have said. 

You are right I should explain  a little better.There is certified jagdterriers who are great retrievers and bloodtrailers who i have seen trained to a high degree.The good hogdogs and digging dogs were generally  uncertified. absolute  lunatics  who couldn't be released without a shocking collar and garmin tracker.Different dogs bred for different  purposes. ?

• Like 2
18 hours ago, BEARINATOR said:

Earth tests are artificial tunnels with a animal placed in and it has to stay for so long 

I think they get tested as all round hunting dogs rather than just earth work?

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

funny to read this thread of hog hunting. I do not regonized jagdterrier all writings. I own one from german bloodlines. I have own also english bullterrier and that has nothing to give for cross anything for hunting. I own also dogo argentino and see that in thread no ones mentions nothing about breed.

i can say that jagd used for hog hunting in germany and austria. In one hunt session put down 200pcs hogs and jagd are the dogs in the hunt.

so maybe you need to study more and bought dogs where they are from.

You do not need to shock collar etc. that need is show of bad dog keeping.

True Jagd’s are intelligent and smart dogs and care of its owners will / wants.

also dogo argentinos are bred for hog hunting buy one or more from hunting lines from argentina and you have hog hunting dogs.

• Like 4