Feral traits.

During my years of keeping working dog’s I’ve noticed that those that show ‘feral’ traits from a young age tend to make the better workers. 
things like burying bits of food even when eating with their litter mates, padding their beds down and happily crawling into dark tight spots to sleep, instinctively grabbing anything that go past them, they have that instinct to hunt and kill from a very young age, naturally gravitate towards you as the alpha and want to please you and be around you. 
these are just a few things and obviously other pups will display some of these traits but in general the I have found that ones with that wild dingo wolf way about them invariably make the better workers. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

During my years of keeping working dog’s I’ve noticed that those that show ‘feral’ traits from a young age tend to make the better workers.  things like burying bits of food even when eating with th

its hardly surprising is it....i mean look at the owner.....your pretty feral looking fooker ya self ken   

They are the ones that taught me hunting.

I’ve always let pups be pups and play on with the to help boost there confidence up.Then once they get that confident after a good few months the teaching starts before they start taking the pee.It’s worked for me with lurches and terriers but each to there own.

8 hours ago, socks said:

During my years of keeping working dog’s I’ve noticed that those that show ‘feral’ traits from a young age tend to make the better workers. 
things like burying bits of food even when eating with their litter mates, padding their beds down and happily crawling into dark tight spots to sleep, instinctively grabbing anything that go past them, they have that instinct to hunt and kill from a very young age, naturally gravitate towards you as the alpha and want to please you and be around you. 
these are just a few things and obviously other pups will display some of these traits but in general the I have found that ones with that wild dingo wolf way about them invariably make the better workers. 

I've got a world beater then ??

Cheers, D.

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

All my best terriers used to shit in their water bowls and Up off the floor on lamposts etc..never on the ground?

I'm the same always shitting up lampposts and in my water bowls 

• Haha 1
On 07/07/2021 at 12:38, socks said:

Most of the good dogs I've had, have been teeth on legs as pups, with no respect for anyone or anything, and yet loyal and biddable in a lot of ways. If that makes sense. They also when watching them play fight and hunt the rest of the pack as little pups, they display a lot of natural skills, funny stuff like the way they move their legs not to get bitten, always have a back of getting the throat and dont give a hoot about being bitten back.

• Like 2

Had a bitch just as you described about 10 year ago. She never lost her feral traits either she would carry a rabbit all the way home from a nights lamping. Prefer to eat her food off the ground rather then the dish.. she was the sliest thing I’ve ever seen on 4 legs. She didn’t like to be made a fuss over and preferred the solitary of her own kennel and wouldn’t accept any other dog or bitch  in her kennel.. abit of a moody bitch to be fair but bomb proof with other dogs when out and in the motor or  working.. the only time she would get all geared up as when she knew it was time for a look about with the lamp but totally laid back when in the kennel. Possibly a dog of a life time who knows.. made some good memories with the bitch that il never forget, if you took your eye off her for a second she’d take a sandwich from your hand 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, LamperNM said:

Had a bitch just as you described about 10 year ago. She never lost her feral traits either she would carry a rabbit all the way home from a nights lamping. Prefer to eat her food off the ground rather then the dish.. she was the sliest thing I’ve ever seen on 4 legs. She didn’t like to be made a fuss over and preferred the solitary of her own kennel and wouldn’t accept any other dog or bitch  in her kennel.. abit of a moody bitch to be fair but bomb proof with other dogs when out and in the motor or  working.. the only time she would get all geared up as when she knew it was time for a look about with the lamp but totally laid back when in the kennel. Possibly a dog of a life time who knows.. made some good memories with the bitch that il never forget, if you took your eye off her for a second she’d take a sandwich from your hand 

Sounds like one I've got now ,she takes feed from bowl and eating another place 

• Like 1