Padengo x Collie

14 hours ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

Anyone ever heard of this cross being used ?  Purely out of curiosity because I know someone whos adopted one from Spain and at eight months it already looks to be one of the quickest dogs I’ve seen.

Tough skin, good feet andst, would be interesting to see on crossed with a greyhound. 

6 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Tough skin, good feet andst, would be interesting to see on crossed with a greyhound. 

You answered the question whilst I was writing my last post! From the ones I’ve seen and whippets I’ve owned (admittedly a small sample size) would still prefer a whippet

31 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

You answered the question whilst I was writing my last post! From the ones I’ve seen and whippets I’ve owned (admittedly a small sample size) would still prefer a whippet

Each to their own re types.  As to a working type podenco crossed with a greyhound ?I would guess something similar to a collie re feet, bone, stamina, nose etc with decent height but faster, they tell me that they have the pace to take a rabbit in the open not just in cover, with good height for a general purpose type. A 1st crosses, F1, litter would likely be very level coming out similar to a 3/4 grey/collie. I don't expect I'll ever see one but conjecture costs nothing. 

Ps, a friend had a pod, it was reasonably biddable,  could have been better with a bit of training. 

1 hour ago, Bobtheferret said:

The Podenco’s I have seen were very unbiddable and not as fast as a whippet so not sure what advantage over a whippet they have? Keen to understand the thinking. 

I see pack of ibiza hounds working with guns in Spain few yr ago ,they tuff as old boots but a noisy bunch just like the owners but it was a good day out  

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Each to their own re types.  As to a working type podenco crossed with a greyhound ?I would guess something similar to a collie re feet, bone, stamina, nose etc with decent height but faster, they tell me that they have the pace to take a rabbit in the open not just in cover, with good height for a general purpose type. A 1st crosses, F1, litter would likely be very level coming out similar to a 3/4 grey/collie. I don't expect I'll ever see one but conjecture costs nothing. 

Ps, a friend had a pod, it was reasonably biddable,  could have been better with a bit of training. 

I see the type work rabbits in Spain and they do the job with ease sandy and they worked scrub land and open fields. They noisy bunch but so was the owners ,but great people and everyone made welcome. 

• Like 2