'Proper' sized Yorkies

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They were for rodents in the mills not foxes or badgers .

even more embarrassing lol

the yorkshire terrier was originally a dog called the paisley terrier or the clydesdale terrier they went south with people looking for work  during the industrial revolution and were used around the

5 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

my sisters tea cup yorkie was taken from her garden by a fox,she saw it run through the hedge ,grab the dog and gone ,never to be seen again

Someone's chihuahua got taken in Exeter, by a seagull....?

• Haha 1
On 07/07/2021 at 03:34, Aussie Whip said:

I used to have Aust Silky Terriers, they were created from Yorky and Oz terriers, very much like a bigger yorky. No Patterdale but they were great ratters, rabbiters and would bolt foxes. This was 45 years ago, I doubt the modern version would be that useful but maybe they are ok still.

I've no experience of them myself, but I've heard that the Australian terrier is a great little vermin dog. Kind of similar to the old Yorkshire, Norfolk or Norwich terriers in character. I've always assumed the Australian terrier was basically the "original" Yorkshire but without being ruined by showing. What's the difference between them and the silky? Is it simply coat type?

4 hours ago, Neal said:

I've no experience of them myself, but I've heard that the Australian terrier is a great little vermin dog. Kind of similar to the old Yorkshire, Norfolk or Norwich terriers in character. I've always assumed the Australian terrier was basically the "original" Yorkshire but without being ruined by showing. What's the difference between them and the silky? Is it simply coat type?

The Silkies are lighter built with the Yorkshire coat, bred as pets mainly but they still have the terrier vermin killing ability, or they did. They do show Oz terriers too but both breeds are pretty scarce now over here. I remember a notorious doberman got out to attack me walking the silkies off lead as a kid and the terriers kicked it's ass, lol.

Edited by Aussie Whip
1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

The Silkies are lighter built with the Yorkshire coat, bred as pets mainly but they still have the terrier vermin killing ability, or they did. They do show Oz terriers too but both breeds are pretty scarce now over here. I remember a notorious doberman got out to attack me walking the silkies off lead as a kid and the terriers kicked it's ass, lol.

Thanks for the information.?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2021 at 11:12, forest of dean redneck said:

They were for rodents in the mills not foxes or badgers .

Yes and no. They were primarily used and developed for controlling rodent population in mills but were also used for hunting fox and badger. If you search it up you can find info on that

paisley terriers became extinct or at least there are no records of them after world war 1 but they were shown in the early shows and one called huddersfield ben was the show standard and they have the sky terrier which is one of the oldest terriers in their make up(greyfriars bobby) they varied in height and weight some as light as 15lb up to 35lb some had wire coats and some had a long silky coat they all had a short snout not a brachycephalic like a bulldog. they were used around farms as small vermin dogs and when people moved to the mills for work they used them for ratting but their were better terriers at this. 

I'm thinking of getting me a bitch of one of these here special Yorkies. My plan is to take a couple of straws from Dickhead, see if the Yorkie makes the grade and get me some coursing teacups ?

Fuucking chihuahua taken by a seagull? Fuuck right off ?

• Haha 2