'Proper' sized Yorkies

I was out a walk today and came across a guy with a yorkshire terrier about the size of a parson russel. 

It made me think but it was probably the first time I'd ever seen one that size in person. Why do people make toy sized ones much more often? Is there a benefit to them being smaller for any sort of work? tried to find one for sale ages ago but only the dinky looking toy sized ones available. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They were for rodents in the mills not foxes or badgers .

even more embarrassing lol

the yorkshire terrier was originally a dog called the paisley terrier or the clydesdale terrier they went south with people looking for work  during the industrial revolution and were used around the

woman at the end of my street had two yorkies in fact a few her sisters had them aswell early 90,s like you said proper looking wee terriers haha but they still had ribbons in there hair back then....ankle biting wee feckers

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, jackthelad said:

woman at the end of my street had two yorkies in fact a few her sisters had them aswell early 90,s like you said proper looking wee terriers haha but they still had ribbons in there hair back then....ankle biting wee feckers

would love to have ones like that common again

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

would love to have ones like that common again

I used to have Aust Silky Terriers, they were created from Yorky and Oz terriers, very much like a bigger yorky. No Patterdale but they were great ratters, rabbiters and would bolt foxes. This was 45 years ago, I doubt the modern version would be that useful but maybe they are ok still.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I used to have Aust Silky Terriers, they were created from Yorky and Oz terriers, very much like a bigger yorky. No Patterdale but they were great ratters, rabbiters and would bolt foxes. This was 45 years ago, I doubt the modern version would be that useful but maybe they are ok still.

don't have to be anything special tbf, sometimes its just nice to see a dog different from usual 

5 minutes ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

don't have to be anything special tbf, sometimes its just nice to see a dog different from usual 

My mates when we were kids gave me a hard time with the Silkies until they seen them in action on the rats. They are an easy breed to live with compared to most terriers and good watch dogs.

1 minute ago, Aussie Whip said:

My mates when we were kids gave me a hard time with the Silkies until they seen them in action on the rats. They are an easy breed to live with compared to most terriers and good watch dogs.

I think I've always liked yorkies because of how good they are with allergies, so one of the few dogs i knew we could potentially have in my family. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

As a yorkshire terrier owner and working terrier enthusiast, their small size is alot more beneficial then looks. Most Yorkies (preferably ?) have long bodies following along their small frame, my theory for this is how they were also used for fox and badger huntin’, similar to the purpose of the daschunds long body, what Im getting at is that these bodies (followed along with short legs) helped them travel in tunnels easier/quicker. This isn’t really only a theory though, as I’ve seen my yorkie be able to move around in earth easier because of this feature. They also usually will have perfect chest width when they are this small, meaning they can actually enter the earth which is a must if you are lookin for a well earth terrier, its also a slight must itself because of their origins, and they shouldn’t be far off from their original shape as original shape has purpose when the world wasn’t breeding for cuteness or exotic colors ?. A big Yorkie is usually not a good Yorkie physics wise when in the field , as the little fella probably cant enter earth or move as well. If you want a bigger sized Yorkie I think one that is 8 pounds would be quite right, nothing like 10+ pounds though. I prefer my Yorkshire terriers being 6 pounds though, as they still have their beneficial toy shape but have that bigger almost patterdale look to them and more strength and durableness to em. Yorkies that are 4 pounds always gave me a weird feel though , as their structure is so frail they are more sensitive to pain , which a terrier should preferably have that pain resistance.  

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
On 10/09/2021 at 00:46, Spunky5 said:

As a yorkshire terrier owner and working terrier enthusiast, their small size is alot more beneficial then looks. Most Yorkies (preferably ?) have long bodies following along their small frame, my theory for this is how they were also used for fox and badger huntin’, similar to the purpose of the daschunds long body, what Im getting at is that these bodies (followed along with short legs) helped them travel in tunnels easier/quicker. This isn’t really only a theory though, as I’ve seen my yorkie be able to move around in earth easier because of this feature. They also usually will have perfect chest width when they are this small, meaning they can actually enter the earth which is a must if you are lookin for a well earth terrier, its also a slight must itself because of their origins, and they shouldn’t be far off from their original shape as original shape has purpose when the world wasn’t breeding for cuteness or exotic colors ?. A big Yorkie is usually not a good Yorkie physics wise when in the field , as the little fella probably cant enter earth or move as well. If you want a bigger sized Yorkie I think one that is 8 pounds would be quite right, nothing like 10+ pounds though. I prefer my Yorkshire terriers being 6 pounds though, as they still have their beneficial toy shape but have that bigger almost patterdale look to them and more strength and durableness to em. Yorkies that are 4 pounds always gave me a weird feel though , as their structure is so frail they are more sensitive to pain , which a terrier should preferably have that pain resistance.  

?

• Haha 3

the yorkshire terrier was originally a dog called the paisley terrier or the clydesdale terrier they went south with people looking for work  during the industrial revolution and were used around the mills as ratters and vermin control, they were the larger size, they have had maltese and other small or toy breed introduced into their breed and are now classed as toy rather than terrier class for show purposes the original breed was shown as a scotch terrier (not scottish ) in the early shows during the 19 century

• Like 4
On 10/09/2021 at 00:46, Spunky5 said:

They were for rodents in the mills not foxes or badgers .

• Like 4