Running dogs.

What’s people’s preferred method of running dogs. Wether it be general mooching.. ferreting/bolting to the dog /lamping /bushing etc!

Il start mine is lamping.. but i do like a good ratch about first light on the hedges / woodland.. try get out a few times a season with a ferret bolting a few also. But down and out it’s got to be lamping for me ?

• Like 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Daytime mooching moors or reed beds or bolting for the dogs  

Hill , hill and more hill , out day time hunting can’t beat it ! I do a little bit of lamping and bushing but my true game is the hill ! 

Done all kinds of lamping with lurchers from the 70’s but for the past few years I’ve found it boring , I think I went 3 times last season even tho I’ve got a lot land I can lamp all over Yorkshire. I

Posted Images

I think a lots changed for me I used to be mad for ferreting I’d mooch for miles as much as I could an lamp as much as I could but ive noticed the games changing around me an there’s more to life than just giving all my time to keeping a few different dogs for various things an hunting. I mainly lamp now 2-3 nights a week through out the season sometimes more I’ll ferret a bit but not much an mooch a bit but if I’m lamping that night there’s not much point in using energy up when if can be saved for the lamp I’ve only 2 bitches now one is retired damaged goods an old bones and the other is active an used ive only one bitch to find enough work for now days so life’s good an easy. I’ve had stupid ideas in my head recently of maybe fetching another pup in but soon talked my self out of it feck that!  I’d rather plow all my time and effort in to one bitch an actually put work in front of her than keep fecking about having to many dogs on the go 

• Like 3

Ferrets Bolting rabbits to the dogs got to be my favourite and you karnt beat a good days ferreting with a juckel that knows its job but rabbit numbers local is at all time low and don't look to be changing so for now its few night on lamp and mooching early mornings see if we can put something up ,only got one runner and a busher type and unless things change I think the runner will be my last .love to take a litter out her but I really couldn't justify taking a litter without keeping a pup myself .

• Like 1

Everything and anything I can. End up doing a lot of lamping so have to work in the day, but try for at least a day or two (not full days) in the winter out doing some proper bushing. And lamp as much as I can. Enjoy a bit of digging also. 

• Like 2

Sometimes I think I’m a bit over dogged ? but the Mrs is a star for running them, and I will never put myself in the position of having nothing to run again. It’s so easy to start the season with a full team and quickly have dogs in sick bay or worse. 

• Like 3