Wild Camping, Hiking, Back pack, Tent talk, Mini camper etc.......

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spent a few days living out of my kayak along a secluded river.    

Iv'e just bought a old horsebox lorry to convert into a camper/living truck as such,a 1985 Bedford TL and a good chance it's the newest lorry i have ever bought ,mind you full service history and only

Not exactly wild camping but camping at our feild , wanted to take kids away n every thing elce fully booked or very busy so thort balls we will just go to feild    Kids loved it 2 of me mates co

Posted Images

Good thread this folks.

I'm going full circle. Used to have a good 3 man Eurohike dome tent that me and my mrs went everywhere in 25 plus years ago. Scotland right upto John O'groats.. Wales etc.. had a some right good trips. All on on proper camping sites though. Fast forward a few year and with the arrival of 2 daughters we brought a nice big 6 or 8 man ploe tent.. i can't quite remember..  Outwell...Montana was the modle i think. Cracking tent.. we had that for 3 years. Again.. had some great trips with it whilst my daughters where still young.. youngest one was still in nappies even!! Anyway.. after one too many arguments whilst pitching that tent with my mrs (she is a headstrong nasty f**ker lol) we got a  6 birth caravan. It was always on the cards i suppose.. but my teenage girls have now outgrown it... and i actually sold the caravan last month.. 8 years to the week after buying it!!

So yes.. I'm ready for going back to basics and getting under some canvas again. Just a little set up for myself. Think I'm going with the Terra Nove Helm compact tent wise. 

I could do with some pointers on the sleeping bag and mat front if anyone's got any advice or suggestions??

Will be used mostly for wild camping after a decent hike. Looking at middle of the road gear/ price wise.  I would want a good 3 season bag though.

This is probably my first spot I'd camp at. West side of Kinder Scout in Derbyshire. I took this pic a few weeks back. Can just make out Manchester over to the right but with the bins i could see for miles over the Cheshire plains...even make out the edge of Snowdonia!!

20220709_100924.jpg.7b9a733bfa6c287ed1cdb48926e1a0cb.jpg

Any bag and mat recommendations fellas??

• Like 6
5 hours ago, jigsaw said:

Do you need to spend a bit more for a higher standard,what would you recommend,say a 2-3 man tent

It was fine for what I needed, just chucking in the car and having a few days away here and there, my Mrs survived in it too and she hates anything like that!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, dai dogs said:

Look at this f***ing lot the mrs going camping for 1 night ffs

621499D9-AF7F-46F1-8DB1-C96F40D8642F.jpeg

Something missing there dai,  as an avid wild camper and minimalist and ultralight weight aficionado. You may want to consider the ............

Kitchen sink .........pmsl 

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, lurchers said:

728C67B9-EAA2-43AA-8F8A-D130D3072D95.jpeg

I'm completely new to this,and a bit long in the tooth to be starting camping but fuk it,I'll be dead long enough ,I'll check with Amazon,see if they stock them... ,thanks 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Good thread this folks.

I'm going full circle. Used to have a good 3 man Eurohike dome tent that me and my mrs went everywhere in 25 plus years ago. Scotland right upto John O'groats.. Wales etc.. had a some right good trips. All on on proper camping sites though. Fast forward a few year and with the arrival of 2 daughters we brought a nice big 6 or 8 man ploe tent.. i can't quite remember..  Outwell...Montana was the modle i think. Cracking tent.. we had that for 3 years. Again.. had some great trips with it whilst my daughters where still young.. youngest one was still in nappies even!! Anyway.. after one too many arguments whilst pitching that tent with my mrs (she is a headstrong nasty f**ker lol) we got a  6 birth caravan. It was always on the cards i suppose.. but my teenage girls have now outgrown it... and i actually sold the caravan last month.. 8 years to the week after buying it!!

So yes.. I'm ready for going back to basics and getting under some canvas again. Just a little set up for myself. Think I'm going with the Terra Nove Helm compact tent wise. 

I could do with some pointers on the sleeping bag and mat front if anyone's got any advice or suggestions??

Will be used mostly for wild camping after a decent hike. Looking at middle of the road gear/ price wise.  I would want a good 3 season bag though.

This is probably my first spot I'd camp at. West side of Kinder Scout in Derbyshire. I took this pic a few weeks back. Can just make out Manchester over to the right but with the bins i could see for miles over the Cheshire plains...even make out the edge of Snowdonia!!

20220709_100924.jpg.7b9a733bfa6c287ed1cdb48926e1a0cb.jpg

Any bag and mat recommendations fellas??

all depends on budget and how comfortable you want to be along with how cold/bad conditions are…

Trekology UL80 are meant to be great sleeping mats if you hit on a good one, it’s 50/50 whether it leaks or last years from what I’ve heard…

Quality mats are Seatosummit Ether XT insulated, Thermarest X-therm or an Exped Synmat (all will be good for 4 season and lifetime guarantee but pricey)

Sleeping bags (down are lighter and more compact) - 3 season

Rab Ascent 600/700

OEX Leviathan 600

Alpkit Skyhigh 500/700

4 season bags

Rab Ascent 900/1100

OEX Leviathan 900

Alpkit Skyehigh 900

Alpkit Alpine dream 800

All depends on whether you sleep hot or cold, also when looking at bags look at the comfort rating as that’s the important one…

Mats have an R-value, the higher the value the more insulted they are and stop the cold comb from the ground, you can also use a foil windscreen sheet to put under a mat to help the R-value and also helps protect from punctures and cheap as chips…

You could also look at quilts but would 100% need a quality mat… 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JyzeYynM8gk

Have a watch of this channel - Andy knows his stuff and camps in all conditions all year round, predominantly the Peak District but also the lakes, Scotland and Wales ?

https://m.youtube.com/c/AndrewBeavers/videos

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, zandy01 said:

all depends on budget and how comfortable you want to be along with how cold/bad conditions are…

Trekology UL80 are meant to be great sleeping mats if you hit on a good one, it’s 50/50 whether it leaks or last years from what I’ve heard…

Quality mats are Seatosummit Ether XT insulated, Thermarest X-therm or an Exped Synmat (all will be good for 4 season and lifetime guarantee but pricey)

Sleeping bags (down are lighter and more compact) - 3 season

Rab Ascent 600/700

OEX Leviathan 600

Alpkit Skyhigh 500/700

4 season bags

Rab Ascent 900/1100

OEX Leviathan 900

Alpkit Skyehigh 900

Alpkit Alpine dream 800

All depends on whether you sleep hot or cold, also when looking at bags look at the comfort rating as that’s the important one…

Mats have an R-value, the higher the value the more insulted they are and stop the cold comb from the ground, you can also use a foil windscreen sheet to put under a mat to help the R-value and also helps protect from punctures and cheap as chips…

You could also look at quilts but would 100% need a quality mat… 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JyzeYynM8gk

Have a watch of this channel - Andy knows his stuff and camps in all conditions all year round, predominantly the Peak District but also the lakes, Scotland and Wales ?

https://m.youtube.com/c/AndrewBeavers/videos

Yes Zany thanks mate.. just what i was after. Plenty to get my teeth into there thanks.

I'm already .. albeit recently, subscribed to Andrew's YouTube channel. Absolutely love his South Yorkshire accent!  Watter is watter. Just as as my grandad taught me!!  lol!!

I was up in your manor back in the February half term for a few nights mate. Cracking spot for heading up and down the coast.. some cracking beaches, Newcastle upto Amble. Young girl in the chippy at Amble did struggle with my Nottinghamshire twang though!!?

20220224_163730.jpg.d23678715ad2eccdae967c51436ec4d8.jpg

20220224_163608.jpg.ea0a21bd6070991d902bb3f5950031ac.jpg

• Like 1