Old meat cleaver

My dads moving to a smaller house so is on with tidying out his sheds n has given me an old meat cleaver that belonged to a old butcher my nan cleaned for about 20 years ago ( he was retried then ) so knife could be 100 years old ish ? Any one know best way of cleaning it up ? I quite like it 

IMG-20210703-WA0010.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Arry said:

Find these good on a Angle Grinder.

shopping.png.e601ed922e721f86b37c0f9e55275043.png

Cheers Arry

Those are way to abrasive for a cleaver mate and will mark the Steele ….. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, socks said:

Those are way to abrasive for a cleaver mate and will mark the Steele ….. 

Did this one I found out ferreting in the middle of a hedge it was just total rust Ken. As long as you are not to heavy handed I find them fine, not having the luxury of better gear.

P1200629.JPG.168c4bbf99271483455ef0e2d55cfebe.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

That sounds cool will it bring all rust off etc ,? Looks like its been abused at some point afew dings in the edge etc 

Yea was in a rough state and christ knows how it got where it was. Cleaned it up as a surprise for my ferreting mate. his father was in Army gliders in the Second World War and they used them for cutting them self out if needed after crashing. He told me his father had his from the war but it went missing. At first I had left it in the hedge but after he told me about his dad I went back and got it and cleaned it up the best I could then gave it to him. He put a shaft on it after that.

Cheers carry

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

That sounds cool will it bring all rust off etc ,? Looks like its been abused at some point afew dings in the edge etc 

If that post was for me then yes mate it will completely clean it up and if the damage isn’t to bad I will be able to grind it back to its proper shape if you want. 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, socks said:

If that post was for me then yes mate it will completely clean it up and if the damage isn’t to bad I will be able to grind it back to its proper shape if you want. 

You have a pm mate 

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...