Let’s see your collie x greyhounds.

The Border Collie as a breed, is fairly varied in both type, size and shape, therefore,..when we see a variety of lurchers created from differing Sires and Dams,..there will frequently be an amazing array of miscellaneous examples.

I've bred a few lurcher from Pastoral lines and whilst some have turned out racy,.whilst still looking like, thick set Greyhounds, a few have shown large chunky heads,... and taken on the look of a Bull Terrier hybrid? 

It is only when you start to line breed a family of lurchers , or when they are bred, as a commercial project, frequently using the same Sires ad infinitum , that one starts to get a more uniform, end product...

Personally, I preferred it when I found a nice working cur that had that certain something that attracted me, and I put him across a chosen, well used running dog type...

The results were invariably, 'varied',..but it was always exciting...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 13

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 3 year old Collie/Greyhound stands 25 inches. 

I'm biased but he's probably as good as you could get as an all round collie greyhound,  his only downfall is his owners past his prime ?

The Border Collie as a breed, is fairly varied in both type, size and shape, therefore,..when we see a variety of lurchers created from differing Sires and Dams,..there will frequently be an amazing a

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

The Border Collie as a breed, is fairly varied in both type, size and shape, therefore,..when we see a variety of lurchers created from differing Sires and Dams,..there will frequently be an amazing array of miscellaneous examples.

I've bred a few lurcher from Pastoral lines and whilst some have turned out racy,.whilst still looking like, thick set Greyhounds, a few have shown large chunky heads,... and taken on the look of a Bull Terrier hybrid? 

It is only when you start to line breed a family of lurchers , or when they are bred, as a commercial project, frequently using the same Sires ad infinitum , that one starts to get a more uniform, end product...

Personally, I preferred it when I found a nice working cur that had that certain something that attracted me, and I put him across a chosen, well used running dog type...

The results were invariably, 'varied',..but it was always exciting...?

Sock's Tegan...?

_DSC0205.jpg

Firstly, another cracking photo Phil ?

Just coming back to those bully looking collie crosses. I had one, back in the early 90's. 

The litter was a f1 collie/grey cross and a lad i knew took the biggest dog from the litter. All growed up, this dog had a cracking athletic/racy frame but with a head like a bull cross. Looking at him head on anyone would have thought he was simply that.

At around 11 months his owner offered him to me and i gladly near snapped his hand off. I got him tuned in to me and match fit and took him for a night on the dunes. He was superb, and i came home real excited about the future with this dog.

The next venture out seen him catch a couple, then drop to the floor and have a seizure. He came round and was groggy and i took him to the vet.

Seems he had a fault on one of his hearts non-return valves and excitement or strain would cause blood to back flow and cause the fit. Thing was, i had no idea if it would strike on his first or 21'st run and once it came, it was home time.

Sadly we parted company and he went to a pet home...

Mack on the left, with a young collie lurcher...

20210630_124709.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rabbiting man said:

I get asked or worse been told my dog got Bull in him. It doesn't bother me in the  slightest as I know what in my dog and what he can do. 

It’s not anything to be ashamed of ?

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I wonder if 'barking mad wildcamping' bill was right, when he reckoned most breeds of dog have got 'bulldog/bull terrier blood in em, from yeeears ago?  ?

Technically most things with greyhound blood in, will carry bull dog blood from a long long time ago. 

37 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Technically most things with greyhound blood in, will carry bull dog blood from a long long time ago. 

I don't think I'll agree with that, sheepy.  With whippets, yes, but not the majority of early greyhounds.

Indeed, if you research 'bull blood in greyhounds', there are a couple of early breeders etc, that totally refute that belief, as I myself am want to do.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I don't think I'll agree with that, sheepy.  With whippets, yes, but not the majority of early greyhounds.

Indeed, if you research 'bull blood in greyhounds', there are a couple of early breeders etc, that totally refute that belief, as I myself am want to do.

I honestly dont know enough about it mate. Just remember reading about .... Lord orford? Something like that?

• Like 1