Never really post on here but needs must .looking some advice I'm moving to Scotland Aberdeenshire in July from Northern Ireland. hunting is very easy going in Ireland never get any bother of any farmers or anyone most of the time and hardly ever ask permission we just hunt away and nobody even notices we are there there is lots of game and we have plenty to go at  we lamp the whole island of Ireland for foxes and very rarely we get bother what's it like in Scotland?

I think it wont be as easy  going meaby I'm wrong. I can only take a few dogs over with me and I thought I would never get rid of my terriers but I'm wondering is there much point taking the terriers will I get nothing but trouble or if I talk to a few farmers or gamekeepers could I get some digging. it took me near 15 years to get the dogs I have and lots of sweat and tears I just wouldn't want to give them up so easy. 

Or would I just be safer bring over a few lurchers hunt away and hope for the best. 

Been to Scotland many a times and seen loads to go at ??

Any advice greatly appreciated 

2 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

I lived in Aberdeenshire for 7 years, you won’t get away. It’s all heavily gamekeepered. I’m from Ireland too. Get in to the beating and opportunities will come up. There’s an awful lot of keepers with an awful lots of shit terriers. Loads of game to go at. Plenty for the lurchers. After a few years I had more permission then what I needed. Where abouts in Aberdeenshire you going? PM if you want. I might be able to put you on to a lad or two. It depends if they want to help though. 

Cheers mate will pm you soon have alot off experience in the shooting industry as I was a beet keeper for 2 years and a part time keeper for 3 was brought up around game shooting and was beating and picking up on shoots since I was 5 just got more into the hunting as i got older.

That's what the purpose of the post was all about I thought it would be a well keeperd area and would be hard enough to hunt in and get away than home

Will pm you later mate thanks for your comment ?

• Like 1

We went up for a weekend sport with a couple of mates of mates LOL , we did a bit of there ground then unknown to us they just jumped the fence farmer drove past us and just waved , other place someone came over to see what we where up to and said have a go on my place if you want . My daughters up in Aberdeen area i find them the nicest friendliest folk out and i would move up there  

1 hour ago, The one said:

We went up for a weekend sport with a couple of mates of mates LOL , we did a bit of there ground then unknown to us they just jumped the fence farmer drove past us and just waved , other place someone came over to see what we where up to and said have a go on my place if you want . My daughters up in Aberdeen area i find them the nicest friendliest folk out and i would move up there  

Yea cheers mate been up there many a time people are great was just wondering what the hunting would be like. Suppose just like everywhere else just ask for permission or chance it

Sometimes when your 4 foot down and a mountain of soil on the bank people aren't so friendly ? atlest with a lurcher you can slip away.

Just was looking to know really to know it permission was hard got or were the landowners keepers easy going.

Forget it I moved up 40 years ago closed shop mate keepers won't take you on untill den time for terrier work that's April 15th you no might get a couple weeks work for your terrier then nothing till next year an a lot don't like digging, I ended up starting my own Fox control society with hounds to get work for my terriers sadly it ended a few years ago. As for lurchers  you will find it very difficult to get ground to run them. Get a couple well behav ed spanels and the doors will open?

1 hour ago, bodach said:

Forget it I moved up 40 years ago closed shop mate keepers won't take you on untill den time for terrier work that's April 15th you no might get a couple weeks work for your terrier then nothing till next year an a lot don't like digging, I ended up starting my own Fox control society with hounds to get work for my terriers sadly it ended a few years ago. As for lurchers  you will find it very difficult to get ground to run them. Get a couple well behav ed spanels and the doors will open?

Cheers mate thought as much I knew it wouldn't be like Ireland were spoilt over here and I know it even know we complain ? was going to move over 10 years ago but the dogs and hunting  were the only reason to say here here. Last spaniel died last year.

2 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

Plenty of terrier and lurcher work if you look in the right places. But your right about the denning. Also a couple of ferrets will open the doors for lamping with a lurcher too. You just need to gain their trust. Plenty to go at south in Angus too. 

Cheers lad there seems to be plenty about just be abit different to what I'm used to.

As rich with stuff to go at as you could wish for mate, a couple little hound packs have a lot of the ground tied up, and I’ve the rest?, keep the terriers, you’d regret getting rid once you get mooching about?

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, BIG TRG said:

As rich with stuff to go at as you could wish for mate, a couple little hound packs have a lot of the ground tied up, and I’ve the rest?, keep the terriers, you’d regret getting rid once you get mooching about?

?I think il keep them meaby bump into you out and about ???

used to have hounds myself but work and family ment they had to go.

10 hours ago, Sammy666 said:

?I think il keep them meaby bump into you out and about ???

used to have hounds myself but work and family ment they had to go.

I would mate, get beating and you’ll soon land with some permission or someone to tag along with, but you want permission as it is a heavily keepered area and once your names tarred that’ll be it 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Wideboy said:

Little hound packs?? I know one pack has about 30 couple. 

I know who your talking about near Stonehaven, I know 3 more north of them, lads keep to themselves and you wouldn’t know unless you knew them. 

• Like 2