Anyone finding many wasps yet. 

They seem really late. I've done a handful of small Queen nests size of a golf ball. 

I was seeing Queens still flying around up until a couple of weeks ago 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sat on a dumper in work this morning and a f****r stung me on the back of my neck?

Big nest in the side of a hot tub 

Went out to clear a fallen tree today and had to take some webbing straps off the back of the pick up. I found 12 Queens all very still and in hibernation on and under the straps. Put them all in a bu

Posted Images

Seem to have dissapeared here in north Essex.

I have some old sheds and panel fences in the garden and normally these would have wasps on them harvesting pulp, but there's nothing.

Also been looking in other people's gardens in the course of my mole work - nothing.

Plenty of bees of all species though.

1 hour ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

Seem to have dissapeared here in north Essex.

I have some old sheds and panel fences in the garden and normally these would have wasps on them harvesting pulp, but there's nothing.

Also been looking in other people's gardens in the course of my mole work - nothing.

Plenty of bees of all species though.

Same here in France. Loads of bees and butterfies, some species I don't recognise. But hardly any wopsts or hornets.

That's worrying that your not getting them down south. 

A mate of mine got called to a nest at the beginning of June, turns out it was last years nest and it was crawling with queen's. It was like they had hibernated in the nest and where only just waking up at the start of June! 

Around the same time I was getting calls for wasps, when I asked them to send me a pic it was queen's. People were finding them dead and dying in there homes. That normally happens but a month earlier, when they wake up in lofts and find their way inside the house rather than outside. 

It's like they are a month late. That could be a good thing if its got them past the risky cold snaps in spring....but I think something isn't right. Time will tell 

1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

That's worrying that your not getting them down south. 

A mate of mine got called to a nest at the beginning of June, turns out it was last years nest and it was crawling with queen's. It was like they had hibernated in the nest and where only just waking up at the start of June! 

Around the same time I was getting calls for wasps, when I asked them to send me a pic it was queen's. People were finding them dead and dying in there homes. That normally happens but a month earlier, when they wake up in lofts and find their way inside the house rather than outside. 

It's like they are a month late. That could be a good thing if its got them past the risky cold snaps in spring....but I think something isn't right. Time will tell 

Yes - I was called out to a kitchen a few weeks back, described as being 'swarming with wasps' - same thing - lots of dozy queens had ingressed from an old nest in a ceiling void.

At the time I thought we're in for a bumper year. But those queens have dissapeared totally.

Where are the foraging wasps in the hedges and shrubs? I'm seeing nothing here.

Yeah,..I've managed to get into double figures, but as some lads have said, 'Something is wrong' ?

I think that August will be hectic and we will possibly have a late season, dragging well into October,..but, yeah,...it ain't good is it..?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, tilimangro said:

Time to pay attention I think

How Dare You?!

Gnip; I was noticing ~ forty years ago, just walking down the road in the city ~ how the robin was singing, the privet blossoming out of time.

Now? Michael Stipe has become my doppelganger! WTF?!

I had a flurry at the begining of June . Then nothing until the end of last week when l did half a dozen  when the Sun came out for a couple of days.  

Hopefully it will become s bit busier.

Lots of foraging hornets about though so l'll polish my armour for the end of July?

Edited by comanche
1 hour ago, mole trapper said:

I've now done more hornets than wasps which is totally arse backwards 

I've seen none of either, even down the sewage works where they breed. Good.

Cheers, D.