Any genuine collie x whippets still about!!??

2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Lot of collies and their crosses up here in the mountains around Oberon hunting pigs, but it's a cold place. These smaller dogs are ok until they run into a big mountain boar, that's why we always used big dane, mastiff, bull mixes. No tracking collars needed they stayed with you until they picked up fresh scent.

We always ran teams some dogs were multi purpose, nose, holder, runner, I I had a monster called horse dane x ridge x bull Hunted all over this country and seen just about every type going at some point, only time I seen collie was in the bull arabs and it was never a standout in the look of the dog. I never used trackers like you weren't really needed

1 hour ago, Sirblessed said:

We always ran teams some dogs were multi purpose, nose, holder, runner, I I had a monster called horse dane x ridge x bull Hunted all over this country and seen just about every type going at some point, only time I seen collie was in the bull arabs and it was never a standout in the look of the dog. I never used trackers like you weren't really needed

I did a bit of pig dogging when younger but the mrs did it full time and ran a chiller. She tried all types but the big dogs did everything needed, they were big , surprisingly fast  had stamina and good nose. I laugh when I hear people saying bull breeds have no brains, they might be stubborn but they are very crafty and clever when hunting. As you say they use all types for pigs but I find the little fast dogs on small game more interesting these days.

2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I did a bit of pig dogging when younger but the mrs did it full time and ran a chiller. She tried all types but the big dogs did everything needed, they were big , surprisingly fast  had stamina and good nose. I laugh when I hear people saying bull breeds have no brains, they might be stubborn but they are very crafty and clever when hunting. As you say they use all types for pigs but I find the little fast dogs on small game more interesting these days.

your mrs ran a team of dogs mate ...and a chiller.....not often you find women in to the hunting....there are some of course ...

i knew kangaroos were harvested commercially... but thought the pigs out there was just sport....was there much money in hunting the wild pigs? 

I recon the reason you don’t see many first crosses is because of the lack of decent base blood to use to create a genuine f1 of any cross be it herder or terrier type.people look at it why take the risk creating a lurcher that will be found wanting in most cases when what your trying to create is already here an available In front of us. Most first crosses or heavy base blood Lurchers are hard pushed in modern times to catch stuff regularly unless dropped on top of stuff or if the land you hunt is bountiful

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, TOMO said:

your mrs ran a team of dogs mate ...and a chiller.....not often you find women in to the hunting....there are some of course ...

i knew kangaroos were harvested commercially... but thought the pigs out there was just sport....was there much money in hunting the wild pigs? 

The mrs is from Birmingham over your way and came over as a kid. She got into hunting living in the bush here. She had more than 20 pig dogs at one time. Back in the 90's they were paying $1.50 a kg for wild pig meat to export to Germany, the ranker the boar the better so a 100kg pig was big money back then, all caught with the dogs. The money isn't in it now with most going for dog food. Just to add, her dogs were very well cared for, much better than a lot of pig dogs these days.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

The mrs is from Birmingham over your way and came over as a kid. She got into hunting living in the bush here. She had more than 20 pig dogs at one time. Back in the 90's they were paying $1.50 a kg for wild pig meat to export to Germany, the ranker the boar the better so a 100kg pig was big money back then, all caught with the dogs. The money isn't in it now with most going for dog food. Just to add, her dogs were very well cared for, much better than a lot of pig dogs these days.

i bet her mum and dad were ten pound poms...got two ozzy mates that i worked with ...there parents were the same..

good money back then  mate....well worth the effort 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

Found an old picture of Horse he was some animal.

Horse.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

i bet her mum and dad were ten pound poms...got two ozzy mates that i worked with ...there parents were the same..

Lol, yeah I think that's what they were known as. Her dad was a real hard army bloke and her mum who died recently was the nicest lady I've ever met, unusual for a mother in law, lol. The mrs definitely took after her dad, lol.

• Haha 1