Best dog you’ve owned - past or present

1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Was pretty crap on rabbits, just didn't really want them.  Neither did I.

Is that ok, or maybe you don't understand.  With you being SO EXPERIENCED?!  ?

faacking hell mate you not had your meds today or what ?the old 3/4 grey abit a hancock didnt want rabbits wasnt a hare dog so must a like bambi 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3/4 saluki grey my best friend from 15 + never have another like her took it for granted the standard she set a old Shepard told me you’ll never have another better than your first an he was right I’l

Beddy/bull/grey bitch...best all-rounder I've owned,came to me at 18 months old after a friend went over the wall.a dog that just seemed to make things happen and catch where ever we went, worked with

I’ll start. My father got this bitch off a traveller when she was around 1 year old I was about 12/13 at the time we never fully knew what was in her just told it was beddy whippet with a bitta G

Posted Images

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Spit it out haha sounds like it’s been eating you up ??

i tried a few coursing dogs a while ago an couldn’t get on with them tbh, but the best lurchers iv ever had were lamping dogs crosses to coursing dogs go figure ? 

Lol katch, there are a couple of guys on here, very recently, that seen my old dog in action, AND based their whole LYING breeding spiel off the back of MY dog, not theirs.  LIES LIES and MORE LIES.

THEIR 'coursing bred' dogs couldn't live with my old dog.  Take off speed, he left them for dead.  Speed and pace, he left them looking like 12 month old pups.

They know who they are.  I won't embarass them anymore, just to say, 'f***ing hell, what a dog?'

They know who they are, and they know who I am.  And with past history, I WILL sleep soundly for many years lol.  Wankers, they know who they are lol ?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

faacking hell mate you not had your meds today or what ?the old 3/4 grey abit a hancock didnt want rabbits wasnt a hare dog so must a like bambi 

He was a VERY good dog on hare and deer.  Not with proper law on hares ?

I had a 3/4 bred, bred down from a Hancock bitch, she as quater both border and beardie an half greyhound, put to a real fast coursing grey they threw some pretty impressive animals, mine was so fast he could almost beat the beam to the rabbits ? we laughed about it a lot, I’d let strangers slip him just so they could feel the dirt being threw up at them when he took off, but anymore than 2 nights a week an the condition fell off him, and at time not only was we out more like 4/5 nights a week with lads coming from all over to come have a brew at mine before all going an lamping the dales ? the dog made a proper nuisance of himself in kennel when I was out with other mutts so that sorta sealed his fate? I never pass dogs on.  An have only ever done so twice, well this big dog was one of them an a member off here took him for his sister, an the dog got the graft but not too much to lose his condition am looking like a bag a  bones, I’ll dig a pic out, few been on here before tho ?

good write up that katch didnt know you had it in you lol?

• Like 1

I got wife to do it ? it’s a shame you missed this place years ago pal, I know your a wind up an like a bicker, yous a loved it years ago, was so many folk on here an all wrote about there days an nights out, was some proper good writing, never mind the tips info an pure experience some the guys had, it was awesome ?

i been on years mate didnt have to entertain meself back then plenty a characters and bickering lol

Back 35 odd years ago, I brought a 8 month old small pure bred whippet dog ,grey in color ,with wee ears that grew no hair due to a what we term here, a hall fost when he was a pup .The owner ,a rabbitter had sadly passed & his friend was tidying up all the loose ends ,so the wee dog had to be  rehomed .He had been, at that point, very lightly started over ferrets I was told.I paid the asking price of $400 nz or about 200 BPs on the condistion that If the dog didnt suit I could bring him back at any stage .I re started him at about 14 months & over the next 3 years he acounted for loads of rabbits & the odd possum .The rabbit board foreman use to call around and pick him up for a days bushing along with 4 other dogs & he commented one day that "Jet" was a true one man band and didnt require another dog to work with ,he had the nack of taking seated daylight rabbits before they knew he was there when walked from down wind .He was a small dog but he had the special x factor ,if my ferret pushed out a rabbit he would chase & return with it ,60 daylight rabbits he took in one day ,at the time I thought nothing of it ,I knew he was a good dog but its only now I look back and think wow he really was a dog of a life time .The one thing that sticks in my mind is the sight of him going at full pace and swopping end for end several times without breaking pace ,I myself have not seen another dog do that & since New Zealand is lacking in numbers of coney hunters I have no idea if this is unsual or not.At the time I didnt realy have the work for Jet as I send him to a high country Station, 4 hours away, that had a major rabbit problem .I chose not to inquire  as to how jet was going ,I wanted to remember him doing his wee swop trick & flying across the ground after a bushed coney .Jet didnt look anything special ,a wee weedy whippet but when he went to work everybody along for the walk were smiling as we drove home . He was without doubt a "goodie".

I am very surpised, after reading several posts here, on this subject,how many really good dogs have been picked up free or for a very cheap price ,some were of unknown breeding but the one single fact ,they all share or did share ,is ,they just had that x factor in buckets..... .ATB  TB.

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 8
38 minutes ago, toolebox said:

Back 35 odd years ago, I brought a 8 month old small pure bred whippet dog ,grey in color ,with wee ears that grew no hair due to a what we term here, a hall fost when he was a pup .The owner ,a rabbitter had sadly passed & his friend was tidying up all the loose ends ,so the wee dog had to be  rehomed .He had been, at that point, very lightly started over ferrets I was told.I paid the asking price of $400 nz or about 200 BPs on the condistion that If the dog didnt suit I could bring him back at any stage .I re started him at about 14 months & over the next 3 years he acounted for loads of rabbits & the odd possum .The rabbit board foreman use to call around and pick him up for a days bushing along with 4 other dogs & he commented one day that "Jet" was a true one man band and didnt require another dog to work with ,he had the nack of taking seated daylight rabbits before they knew he was there when walked from down wind .He was a small dog but he had the special x factor ,if my ferret pushed out a rabbit he would chase & return with it ,60 daylight rabbits he took in one day ,at the time I thought nothing of it ,I knew he was a good dog but its only now I look back and think wow he really was a dog of a life time .The one thing that sticks in my mind is the sight of him going at full pace and swopping end for end several times without breaking pace ,I myself have not seen another dog do that & since New Zealand is lacking in numbers of coney hunters I have no idea if this is unsual or not.At the time I didnt realy have the work for Jet as I send him to a high country Station, 4 hours away, that had a major rabbit problem .I chose not to inquire  as to how jet was going ,I wanted to remember him doing his wee swop trick & flying across the ground after a bushed coney .Jet didnt look anything special ,a wee weedy whippet but when he went to work everybody along for the walk were smiling as we drove home . He was without doubt a "goodie".

I am very surpised, after reading several posts here, on this subject,how many really good dogs have been picked up free or for a very cheap price ,some were of unknown breeding but the one single fact ,they all share or did share ,is ,they just had that x factor in buckets..... .ATB  TB.

Taking 60 daytime rabbits in a single day makes him one special dog imo, a rabbit is a damn sight harder to catch in daylight compared to moonlight 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I remember judging the heat when I think it was a young lad who travelled from Down South with a dog called Storm I think. This dog hadn't ran rabbits before and beat one of the favourites which had caught thousands ?

Was the dog a blue Merle collie/greyhound?, 

Edited by Countryman62
  • Like 2

The best dog I've owned of any breed is my now aging blue whippet/stag. She's caught countless rabbits, the odd hare and fox, battled rogue roos in my defence and mixed it with pigs on occasion. She has her own lounge and is a much loved family dog. Her black and white sister in the pic was also becoming a champ but died at 2.

20150730_135732 (1).jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Countryman62 said:

Taking 60 daytime rabbits in a single day makes him one special dog imo, a rabbit is a damn sight harder to catch in daylight compared to moonlight 

That was up in the open country of the Mckenzie basin before the RHD came here ,I doubt they had seen a running dog ,the only dogs encounted would of been just pets walked up the river bed while their lazy owners drove alongside in their motor ,even so he was making hard work of by days end .I didnt know if that was some feat or not ,at the time it was just a fact & still is .About the only comment I can make now is what a feckn fool I was to onsell him .Im gutted because I dont have a picture of him .

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

The best dog I've owned of any breed is my now aging blue whippet/stag. She's caught countless rabbits, the odd hare and fox, battled rogue roos in my defence and mixed it with pigs on occasion. She has her own lounge and is a much loved family dog. Her black and white sister in the pic was also becoming a champ but died at 2.

20150730_135732 (1).jpg

Why the bloody hell do the good ones die early when the average potlicker has no lucky escapes & lives to old age ,its a question Ive yet to find a answer too Aussie whip.

Edited by toolebox