small ratting breeds

what are the smaller ratting dog breeds? i would love to find a good ratting dog that is small enough able to go after rats that are hiding under pallets and such. my patterdale can sometimes get under a bit but not enough and certainly not quick enough to catch them.  yes my ferrets can also do the same job but they are not so simple to control as a dog. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

for some reason google decided to put one picture upsidedown and i didn't understand how to rotate it back to normal

Be pretty good at fitting underneath pallets

Hi Huckleberry,...I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying your rat hunting forays? I used to do a lot of ratting with terriers, collies, whippets, etc , indeed, at one time in my life, I would

Posted Images

I had a pack of Australian silky terriers ( a product of Aussie and Yorkshire terriers} as a kid who were small and excellent ratters, even climbing up into shrubs to catch. Also over here mini fox terriers are great farm vermin killers, like a very small smooth Russell. Some councils over here even had teams of mini foxies and their handlers working full time at one stage.

• Like 3

the topic  on the lurcher sec  pat/whippet  , they are brill for ratting , there vid about them , there about 20in  and racy build ,lthey catch loads of rats in barns , rubbish tips etc , real nice little dogs , great little bushing dogs, if i was really into little dogs,  as these seem hard to get/find  i prob try breed my own .

• Like 1

A Game keeper pal of mine where i do some terrier work has two sausage dogs,both under a year old and one is as much a ratter as any of the other terriers we went out last week or so with,it's only down fall as such is it gets pushed out the way by the other terriers when it marks a hole..

• Like 1
On 27/06/2021 at 15:58, downsouth said:

I cant see any dog that can fit underneath a pallet being much good for anything

my patterdale  started joining our rat pack when she was only about 9 weeks old. and she did fit under pallets when she was that young and she helped us with killing loads of rats. so got to disagree on that. 

9 weeks and ratting under pallets....

No dog has ever been ruined by late entering but plenty have been ruined by starting them too early...

I do know of a bloke who has mini bushing dogs, tiny little yorkie looking things. No idea what they are like on rats but they can run through an earth like its the Mersey Tunnel. Wouldn't know if they could fit under pallets either, that job would best suit a big hob ferret imo.

If its tiny ratters you want, breed your own. It's a risk but there are loads of toy breeds you could use. You'd just have to find one with attitude.

Funny though, there are some serious lads who rat on this site and on the ratting FB sites i'm on. Lads that take huge numbers every year. None of them have ever needed mini anything to the job and standard sized mutts have done just fine.

My guess is that your ego wants a tiny dog. Let it squeeze under pallets because your too lazy to move them yourself. You'd buzz off a mini dog all marked up with rat bites and risking it in places others wouldn't put a dog in. Same with your post wanting micro ferrets, when a good standard jill works just fine on the rats. You just want your ego massaged, showing off your mini's...

Think you need to re-evaluate what your doing in this game... ?

5 hours ago, huckelberry said:

my patterdale  started joining our rat pack when she was only about 9 weeks old. and she did fit under pallets when she was that young and she helped us with killing loads of rats. so got to disagree on that. 

A nine week old pup won’t have the teeth or jaw strength to kill a rat so stop talking shit. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

No dog has ever been ruined by late entering but plenty have been ruined by starting them too early...

I do know of a bloke who has mini bushing dogs, tiny little yorkie looking things. No idea what they are like on rats but they can run through an earth like its the Mersey Tunnel. Wouldn't know if they could fit under pallets either, that job would best suit a big hob ferret imo.

If its tiny ratters you want, breed your own. It's a risk but there are loads of toy breeds you could use. You'd just have to find one with attitude.

Funny though, there are some serious lads who rat on this site and on the ratting FB sites i'm on. Lads that take huge numbers every year. None of them have ever needed mini anything to the job and standard sized mutts have done just fine.

My guess is that your ego wants a tiny dog. Let it squeeze under pallets because your too lazy to move them yourself. You'd buzz off a mini dog all marked up with rat bites and risking it in places others wouldn't put a dog in. Same with your post wanting micro ferrets, when a good standard jill works just fine on the rats. You just want your ego massaged, showing off your mini's...

bravo ? 

5 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Excellent post ?

12 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

What a horrible man 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

that is quite some assumptions, without really knowing me.