John winch

I thought this would be the appropriate section to post this. , John passed away peacefully on Friday 25 June , John amongst others founded the Durham and Northumberland working terrier club , he will be greatly missed . 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

He was probably the first posh person that I met. Used to love his announcements at shows "Jeck Russell dogs ring one, Laykie bitches ring two", just sounded so different. I say posh (and I am sure others here will know far better than me) but believe he was born into a mining family and funded his own education to eventually become a barrister. Some achievement for a lad from a pit village, particularly back then. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Barrie said:

John's achievements in both his personal and professional life were considerable and he was very well respected within the legal profession. Yet first and foremost he was always a terrier man both at heart and in practice. He was a true “Son of The North”.

John did honourable service as a member of the Fell & Moorland W.T.C. and then went on along with others, to form the well respected and highly successful Durham & Northumberland W.T.C. He and his late wife Esme formed the backbone of that Club in an area where fools are not suffered gladly. He was a lifelong terrier enthusiast and through his long association with the D.& N.W.T.C. was one of the founding members of the National Working Terrier Federation.

For many decades both the N.W.T.F. and the terrier world at large benefitted from John’s support, his exceptional legal brain and as a practicing Barrister the legal advice which he so freely gave. Having had the privilege of standing alongside John in Court where he defended terrier men charged with the most dubious of offences, and one case in particular which would have had longer term implications for the future of terrierwork, I know more than most just how significant his contribution has been.

R.I.P. Old Friend you will be sadly missed. - Barrie

How very well put,Barrie 

• Thanks 1