Pike fishing

The only pike I've caught was a little jack on maggots when I was fishing for roach. 

There's a massive lake up the road with some of the biggest pike in the country and a lot of double figure stuff and I fancy actually fishing for them.

Do people still use snap tackle and wire traces? I read only yesterday that tope fisherman now use heavy mono instead of wire and wondered if that applied to pike too.

I'll probably be float fishing deadbaits. Would a 2.75lb carp rod and a reel with 15lb line do the job?

That tackle would be OK. Use soft wire though and a trout bait. Regards deep hooking: if you strike as soon as the pike takes then you won't deep hook them. Float fishing is ideal for that.

• Like 4

I’ll lure fish for them but not bait fish in summer but if you do want to bait fish don’t mess about , don’t use the John Wilson method of watching the fish run to the next county before striking , hit them straight away and don’t keep them out of the water for long because they are pretty delicate . For traces don’t use the heavy flouro/mono because no matter how heavy you go they can go through it like it’s nothing . I know flouro is getting more popular with some of the youtubers because of what they see over in Scandinavia and the states but they rarely if ever show the bite off’s they get . Cyril chauquet had a few bite offs using 100lb flouro on the fishing adventurer on tv and switched to wire because of it .

Edited by neil r
Missed a word
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, ollieollie said:

I fish for pike in the winter but I know some people fish year round for them but in very deep water where the water temp stays cooler

When I used to fish Ladybower Res for trout I had a fish finder on the boat. All the larger fish, that I guess were pike, were sitting just under the thermocline around 30 to 35 foot deep even  in the 100 feet plus zone. They were laying in the colder water, just above the dead zone where there is little or no oxygen in summer. I would imagine that the water Walshie is going to fish will share the same characteristics, deep steep sided reservoir full of trout.

Edited by Nicepix
1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

When I used to fish Ladybower Res for trout I had a fish finder on the boat. All the larger fish, that I guess were pike, were sitting just under the thermocline around 30 to 35 foot deep even  in the 100 feet plus zone. They were laying in the colder water, just above the dead zone where there is little or no oxygen in summer. I would imagine that the water Walshie is going to fish will share the same characteristics, deep steep sided reservoir full of trout.

It's not actually. It's 25-30ft deep max and known for coarse fish, especially pike. 

This is the one I'm after. :laugh: The Afanc.

CRYPTOZOO-OSCITY.BLOGSPOT.COM

Llangorse Lake in Wales is a glacial lake about a mile (1.6 km) long and fairly shallow in parts about 10 feet (3 meters ) deep on a...

Altohugh I'd be happy to just catch a double to begin with.

13 minutes ago, walshie said:

It's not actually. It's 25-30ft deep max and known for coarse fish, especially pike. 

This is the one I'm after. :laugh: The Afanc.

CRYPTOZOO-OSCITY.BLOGSPOT.COM

Llangorse Lake in Wales is a glacial lake about a mile (1.6 km) long and fairly shallow in parts about 10 feet (3 meters ) deep on a...

Altohugh I'd be happy to just catch a double to begin with.

I thought it might be one of those steep sided valley reservoirs. In your case I would fish into the wind when it is blowing into deeper water using a ledgered or float ledgered  bait. If there is a fish farm near you ask if they have any casualties for sale. Or nobble some small bream.

That legendary pike might be a wels catfish.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, walshie said:

The only pike I've caught was a little jack on maggots when I was fishing for roach. 

There's a massive lake up the road with some of the biggest pike in the country and a lot of double figure stuff and I fancy actually fishing for them.

Do people still use snap tackle and wire traces? I read only yesterday that tope fisherman now use heavy mono instead of wire and wondered if that applied to pike too.

I'll probably be float fishing deadbaits. Would a 2.75lb carp rod and a reel with 15lb line do the job?

I fish for them all year round, theres no season on them so its your choice, i dead bait for them too in summer, and havent killed a pike yet, theyre more active in summer and can have fun on lures and spinners, just get the big long disgorgers or crush 2 exposed barbs if your worried about damaging them. And get them back in soon as possible, youll have good fun catching them as you dont know how big the one biting at the time is.

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...
On 24/06/2021 at 18:58, walshie said:

Don’t often look In this section as I posted something years back when I first joined and got told I dint have a clue.. only fished for 40 years?

fox do really soft trace wire, make your own as shop bought ones are shite?

thought you might be interested in this, thought about giving this book to kanny or raffling it off as a freebie to be passed round the lads who enjoy pike fishing. 
6F144C71-A04F-4BF7-A084-0D2E82677EF8.jpeg.d7649a1bb7bd13e059cb544b0123ae46.jpeg96950DD1-DBB7-4198-8C0F-15B334B6848D.jpeg.0ddfa814bea74e1ca9a8f968e3bfc420.jpegF6EA0FB5-B31F-4447-A11A-E9DE03B9C767.jpeg.07093f67414bbbd68fb4ca06740f5570.jpeg

• Like 5
29 minutes ago, si brown said:

Don’t often look In this section as I posted something years back when I first joined and got told I dint have a clue.. only fished for 40 years?

fox do really soft trace wire, make your own as shop bought ones are shite?

thought you might be interested in this, thought about giving this book to kanny or raffling it off as a freebie to be passed round the lads who enjoy pike fishing. 
6F144C71-A04F-4BF7-A084-0D2E82677EF8.jpeg.d7649a1bb7bd13e059cb544b0123ae46.jpeg96950DD1-DBB7-4198-8C0F-15B334B6848D.jpeg.0ddfa814bea74e1ca9a8f968e3bfc420.jpegF6EA0FB5-B31F-4447-A11A-E9DE03B9C767.jpeg.07093f67414bbbd68fb4ca06740f5570.jpeg

I've actually heard of Neville Fickling from years ago. If Kanny has first dibs on it, can I have second? Or put my name on the list for the raffle. Whatever you decide to do. Cheers. 

24 minutes ago, walshie said:

I've actually heard of Neville Fickling from years ago. If Kanny has first dibs on it, can I have second? Or put my name on the list for the raffle. Whatever you decide to do. Cheers. 

I’ll pm kanny and see if he wants a butchers at it, I look in on his lure making.. the mans got skill when it comes to making them!

he can send it on to you then you can raffle it off and donate the money to the fishing charity if you can be doing with the hassle?

• Like 2