Hedgehog numbers

2 minutes ago, Arry said:

I have come under the ferret hutch every night even in the winter. One one in the winter was tiny never thought he would make it through but he did and he's there early about 5pm to beat all the others. Two there last night side by side to a vid but no still. I have holes cut at the Botton of my fence and gate I do encourage them with a bowl of ferret food. Had five in the garden in one night before now been coming for years.

P1220226.JPG.7adf347c4ecfed1758097c652835c8de.JPG

P1220227.JPG.1df4fd45b619a7194cf57188b38d28fc.JPG

Cheers Arry

Perhaps you might like to edit that first sentence mate ???

Cheers, D.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Lived in the same area for my whole 28 years on this planet and only last year I spotted my first ever hedgehog. I'm not sure if there is a rescue or something releasing them locally but I've seen more than 10 in the last few months and quite a few more dead on the roads. I can't recall seeing any dead before that either. 

We have very few, if any badgers here so I hope the hogs do well in years to come.

18 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Just happened to come upon this lad today. Been ages since I've seen one. Out in the middle of the day, beside a busy road. 

Myself and the daughter picked him up and brought him far side of the road, where there's an overgrown garden, and left it off there.

20210623_151438.jpg

Well done Eddie, the old hedgehog the gardeners fiend 100% they kill slugs and snails that wreak your green stuff. Funny thing last night, I took the dogs over the fields by me, the wheat  about 2ft, old Bryn was walking by me, Buck just went of,  then I heard him barking at somthing, thought it not a fox,  as bring them back to me in the past, thought  can't be a badger, as this was right in the middle of the field, and wouldn't have stayed there, them things try get coveror a earth, though what fook he barking at lol.?. Went over to him and he looking at the floor. Couldn't see nothing at  1st, then had real good luck, and was a hedgehog, in  ball   Buck moved it with paw lol, I glad he didn't grab it really am, I just left and held Buck collar for 6-7 mins  got well past then loose him?

• Like 1

I agree with the OP . I’m seeing a lot more hedgehogs around . Not just dead on the roads but with my thermal spotter when out foxing . I am convinced that the badger cull has benefited their numbers. 
          A little story for you . I was driving back home after being out lamping and I was behind a car with some young traveler lads in from the local sight . I spotted a hedgehog starting to cross the road ahead of them , I couldn’t believe it when they actually swerved to flatten it . I was gutted , there was no way that I was going to follow them or confront them . But I was so pissed off that I rang up one of the older travelers  the next day who is a decent chap and told him about what happened, he said he was disgusted, he asked me what car it was and assured me he would deal with them . I don’t know the outcome, but even though I go out shooting and regularly kill stuff that mindless act really upset me. 

• Like 4
  • 1 year later...

Just been outside, local Chinese woman calling "Hoggie.... Hoggie... Hoggie" I asked had she lost her dog thinking she couldn't pronounce Doggie properly, No she said one of my pet hedgehogs ? she opened her bag ?

IMG_20220830_211224.jpg

• Like 1