What’s people’s preferred cross for a rabbit dog!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? I know you are not too keen on the Blue Merles,..so I always fetch one along, just to annoy ya? The wee bitch that you might have seen run, one or two shushis, would be Angel.. I remember,

just for lamping I'd go for a pure whippet, for daytime bushing/ferreting i'd add a bit of beddy/grey but keep it 3/4 sighthound.  Beddy/whippet X grey, 23 inches, basically a bred down grew with

Would have to agree with you TOMO?  Facts are, IF...you can get a fast type to slow down, use his head, instead of his muscles, then the quarry is half way into the bag. You have proved it yourse

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Good thing about rabbiting is you have a huge choice of dogs that all do the job, as long as it's at least 3/4 whippet, lol.

Absolutely ? One we bred trevs ol bitch ped whippet  

5F9D8B14-F06F-46CF-B8A6-47CBCE5859BD.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, LuckyLamper said:

Whippets great for rabbits unless your working real rough terrain I’d prefer a cross with tougher feet so wherever I’d go the dog can work 

Pretty hard stony ground where I hunt and I've never had problems with whippets feet, even the one with 1/4 grey in her.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, LamperNM said:

Old school type., I remember a mate had one very similar stamp to this blue and white collie greyhound.. has to be one of the best rabbit catchers I’ve seen in the lamp ?

That dog was a twat with people but my mate had him trained like a spaniel and what a dog to watch on.Even though he just looked like a big collie he could shift and caught plenty of hares and bigger stuff.You had to wait for him to come to you for a stroke then he would be fine with you,but if you just went over and stroked him ya would have no hand left that’s why is was a twat ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is his deerhound greyhound xbeardie greyhound he has him trained the same way,if you can zoom into the pic you will what he had the dog watching and he won’t move till he tells him to.ANd the dog has had a good few of them what he’s watching.

D8B61BD9-23A5-49DA-9091-D65412296CA1.png

4CB1F14C-E64C-42B3-830D-788DCD8E377F.png

Edited by lurchers
15 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Good thing about rabbiting is you have a huge choice of dogs that all do the job, as long as it's at least 3/4 whippet, lol.

Until you decide to lamp the 3/4 whippet on stoney moorland type of land 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

?  heathen!

I've owned 2 with collie in them..and some prick stole them...I wasn't overly bothered as I  didn't have a bond with em.. I don't like clingy/needy dogs..terriers or lurchers,and only keep bitches as a rule..only owned 3 male terriers and 1male runner that went to a member on here in 30 yrs..

I've seen some handy collie types but they not for me?

• Like 6
21 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

I've owned 2 with collie in them..and some prick stole them...I wasn't overly bothered as I  didn't have a bond with em.. I don't like clingy/needy dogs..terriers or lurchers,and only keep bitches as a rule..only owned 3 male terriers and 1male runner that went to a member on here in 30 yrs..

I've seen some handy collie types but they not for me?

I don't know what this clingy, needy caper is about, to be honest d c.  I've had a few dogs with a fair amount of collie in, and NONE were clingy or needy, one of them was actually the most independant minded, obstinate c**t of a dog you'd be likely to ever see!  c**t did my head in, BUT, he was sired by hancock's taffy, so I lay the blame on the bearded collie in him.

And since him, I've not owned another lurcher with beardie blood!  Lol  ?

Edited by shaaark
3 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Pretty hard stony ground where I hunt and I've never had problems with whippets feet, even the one with 1/4 grey in her.

I suppose good and bad feet with every breed I’ve just known them to be more prone to foot injuries to others 

• Like 1