What’s people’s preferred cross for a rabbit dog!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? I know you are not too keen on the Blue Merles,..so I always fetch one along, just to annoy ya? The wee bitch that you might have seen run, one or two shushis, would be Angel.. I remember,

just for lamping I'd go for a pure whippet, for daytime bushing/ferreting i'd add a bit of beddy/grey but keep it 3/4 sighthound.  Beddy/whippet X grey, 23 inches, basically a bred down grew with

Would have to agree with you TOMO?  Facts are, IF...you can get a fast type to slow down, use his head, instead of his muscles, then the quarry is half way into the bag. You have proved it yourse

Posted Images

Personally,...?...

I would use (and have used) any type of canine, that can get me a result...?

Obviously,...some varieties are better adapted to do the job than others..?

This could be a really interesting and informative thread,.so lets hear everyone's opinions?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4

Me personally don't care what way its Bred as long as it does the job for me but saying that I really like the whippet x greyhound for the rabbiting ferreting game and lamping I have had all types of lurchers for this game put each to there own 

• Like 2

My 3/4 grey 1/8 beardie 1/8th border was a smashing rabbit dog fastest dog ive ever owned took alot of hares to and the occasional fox but wouldn't have cut it doing heavy amounts of fox.but would work during day with the ferrets then go lampin and probley lamp 5 nights a week in season sometimes  more so if I was to get another rabbit dog wouldn't look much further than that solid dog never laid up speed stamia brains easy to train but I am biased to my collie crosses 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

Personally,...?...

I would use (and have used) any type of canine, that can get me a result...?

Obviously,...some varieties are better adapted to do the job than others..?

This could be a really interesting and informative thread,.so lets hear everyone's opinions?

scan0020.jpg

How is the dog in pic bred.. collie based at a guess 

• Like 1

Of 3 first cross collie greyhounds I've had they have all been great dogs to own and work, excellent ferreting companions but in all honesty none of them could regularly catch rabbits on a sports field. The dice needed to be loaded in some way so rough grass / lamping / ferreting and so on.  Other lurcher to lurcher crosses with more sighthound blood were more versatile on other quarry but no better on rabbits so I have never been interested in 3/4 greys. The best dog I had on rabbits, over 40 years ago (sadly for her the first I owned so she could have been even better with experience) was a 22 inch broken haired lurcher to lurcher cross that had amazing take off speed, agility and desire to catch. She could catch rabbits solo mouching in all terrain in the East, often on really short runs although often by not applying the brakes as cover loomed large, its not all great as she died in a collision before she was 3 so I am less fussed about prey drive these days. Where I live in east anglia, driving 4WD around fields after hares has f....d what was left of hunting dog credibility.  Anything the size of a saluki cross attracts the wrong type of attention so I will be on the look out for small whippet types in future

• Like 3
1 hour ago, LamperNM said:

Very nice I do like a beddy cross or grew I wouldn’t get away with a straight whippet up here.. my experience they can’t handle a good night in the worst of weather 

Incoming 

Prepare 2 do battle wi hordes o crack crazed whippet enthusiast's 

• Haha 3