Trout fishing in New Zealand

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh how I love fishing ,both fresh & salt water .

Posted Images

4 hours ago, bell said:

Some superb fish there mate, you own a fly rod ?

Each season I try to think up some different approach, with fly fishing Id go the whole season using either a nymph, dry or streamer ,then it was just the one pattern .I fly fished this way for many years ,tying my own flies by the hundreds ,but I saw with the onset of older age some members of the fishing club I belong to, were struggling with failing eyesight and shoulders .I decided to learn as much as I could about soft baiting trout before my body told me to do so .This was also seen by others in the group ,whom gave me the job of getting these great older people up to speed on  soft bait fishing, I also noted that the older they were the harder it  was to teach old dogs new tricks . That's where I'm at the moment any new tricks I can pick up means I can pass it onto those older guys . Its fair to say I like to get really good at something new before I move on ,it makes life interesting ,so to answer your question bell yes I own a number of different rods & lines & have also enjoyed saltwater fly fishing in FNQ Aussie and in the far north Island of new Zealand where the fishing is off the scale . Fishing is a cool way to spends ones time doing & I do it a lot and have no plans to slow down any time soon. You as a fellow fisherman will understand ......... 

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 5

Above is the river below my house ,during winter river levels changes after the  floods & the river bottom shifts ,so each spring when the new season starts in oct the  level at most of my fishing spots is different .The lower Mataura is well known for its format of pools ,ripples, pools, ripples, that is found in the lower reaches of this great water way ,that incudles the water below home .When a hatch starts the fish stack up in the ripples or skinnie water to feed on the flies and its there that Id like to target them with a beadhead nymph & a piece of dry white sheeps wool .At times I will go several seasons before I bother going down fishing there because while Im still semi fit I like to visit other streams to fish ,we are certainly spoiled for choice in new Zealand ,however nothing stays the same, the world moves on each day ,and as we get older we find ourselves left behind ,that suits me nicely thank you  & I intend to carry on enjoying myself until ,the final whisle blows time .

Edited by toolebox
14 hours ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Do you get huge sea trout? Like the ones in argentina?

Not as big as those fish but yes we get sea runners ,they can be found in good numbers and in a range of sizes  at certain times of the year as they enter the river systems .There is a canal system up in the Mckenzie country that has several fish farms located on them & its these waters  that hold truely huge wild browns ,rainbows and escaped salmon.All feed on the lost fish pellets,a big type of olive water snail and bullies found in huge numbers there .I use to go and target those fish and my PB was a rainbow, that weighted 33lbs but since Ive mastered those waterways as much as I want to , I moved on to other challenges a number of years ago .  I still like the area for its manyrivers & lakes ,all hold good numbers of both rainbows & browns .

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1

All of my pictures show you,the unknown people that Im one of the many that enjoys the great outdoors,it does not make me better than the next personnor does it atest to  me knowing more than anyone else  ,its simply just a record of my enjoyment .I came to realize many years ago that no matter what color ,age or country we are found in ,we may not be all the same on the outside,but we all want the same things from our choosen sport ,these pages are a great place to share our opinions ,the highs and the lows .....its what makes us human ... ......  

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, toolebox said:

Not as big as those fish but yes we get sea runners ,they can be found in good numbers and in a range of sizes  at certain times of the year as they enter the river systems .There is a canal system up in the Mckenzie country that has several fish farms located on them & its these waters  that hold truely huge wild browns ,rainbows and escaped salmon.All feed on the lost fish pellets,a big type of olive water snail and bullies found in huge numbers there .I use to go and target those fish and my PB was a rainbow, that weighted 33lbs but since Ive mastered those waterways as much as I want to , I moved on to other challenges a number of years ago .  I still like the area for its manyrivers & lakes ,all hold good numbers of both rainbows & browns .

Sounds like game fishing paradise to me, its amazing how the rainbows n browns adapted so well in NZ away from their native homes

I have found that by & large sea fish pull lots more string than our fresh water trout ,with them its all about the brain ,tricking them ,even if they fall off ,is  the whole purpose for me ,also they look nice with different pattern spots on each fish .

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1