Patterdale x whippet

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reckon he could teach most pure whippets a thing or two. First x whippet Russell. Probably not as fast as a straight whippet but hardy, clever and brave. I wish I could have him back at that age aga

Russell X 3/4 grey 1/4 collie. This lad done way, way more than I ever expected. 22" ? Cheers, D.    

its a funny subject isn't it ....this hole thing of a dog opening up....yapping... as lurcher lads we are so programed to hate and detest opening up....its to point where most lads would never ad

Posted Images

Clearly a good lamping dog that will provide good hauls of freshly caught rabbits must undoubtedly be thoroughly clever but more importantly it must be mute in order to  be a lamping mans four legged companion!!! A running dog which gives tounge is not worth having to be perfectly honest and truthful .Those that do open up are best left for day work with ferreting and webs they can then be used to bay at the entrance hole of rabbits Warren's. So all is not lost so to speak. With all probability I am of the opinion from a personal perspective believe that anything that is particularly frustrated whenever it is unable to keep up with its chosen quarry is undoubtedly  going to open up this i believe is more likely to be inherited from  hounds or terrier 

10 minutes ago, Rudeboy 1 said:

Clearly a good lamping dog that will provide good hauls of freshly caught rabbits must undoubtedly be thoroughly clever but more importantly it must be mute in order to  be a lamping mans four legged companion!!! A running dog which gives tounge is not worth having to be perfectly honest and truthful .Those that do open up are best left for day work with ferreting and webs they can then be used to bay at the entrance hole of rabbits Warren's. So all is not lost so to speak. With all probability I am of the opinion from a personal perspective believe that anything that is particularly frustrated whenever it is unable to keep up with its chosen quarry is undoubtedly  going to open up this i believe is more likely to be inherited from  hounds or terrier 

Don’t know if I’m going mad but sure you posted the same post yesterday telling people that actually get out an hunt what they need in a dog……it’s becoming like Groundhog Day on here lately 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 26/06/2021 at 22:42, AndyD89 said:

Aye remember reading about working Airedale’s in the states , think there’s a strain called redline Airedale’s or something like that, look slightly different. 

Think skycat had airedale lurchers ,first x wouldn't be my choice but 3q bred probably make a good juckel but its all down to land we work .penny wrote few good articles about ones she kept .

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Think skycat had airedale lurchers ,first x wouldn't be my choice but 3q bred probably make a good juckel but its all down to land we work .penny wrote few good articles about ones she kept .

Just see that others already stated skycat worked this x .

10 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Yeh had a ratch back through the archives on here and found some threads done by skycat about a litter she bred. Liked the look of them. The search also highlighted other posts from the past with Airedale blooded lurchers mentioned, some really smart looking animals. It’s definitely something il look into at some point in life.

Do you think a first x could be abit slow?? Don’t think it would be the end of the world for me. I have this deer/grey x whip  pup here , don’t think she’ll be lacking in pace department. So I think something like that could be really handy addition for ferreting. Like an Airedale with abit more legs.  I got on really well with  the Airedale I had, bloody loved him.  But I suppose the lack of working Airedale’s around is always Gona be a big stumbling block for the idea ?

• Like 1

I think that the reason my Airedale lurchers were fast enough was that they weren't a first cross Airedale Greyhound. Depending on the Greyhound used, of course, it would be more likely they'd be heavier than the ones I had, which were actually Saluki coursing dog to a Redline Airedale. The Airedale herself was built like a brick outhouse, but the Saluki gave the offspring a much lighter build and longer legs than many first cross Greyhounds I've seen when put to a stocky breed of dog.

Like AndyD89, I love the Airedale temperament and intelligence. Really honest, hard working dogs.

Schuck had most of what I needed.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, skycat said:

I think that the reason my Airedale lurchers were fast enough was that they weren't a first cross Airedale Greyhound. Depending on the Greyhound used, of course, it would be more likely they'd be heavier than the ones I had, which were actually Saluki coursing dog to a Redline Airedale. The Airedale herself was built like a brick outhouse, but the Saluki gave the offspring a much lighter build and longer legs than many first cross Greyhounds I've seen when put to a stocky breed of dog.

Like AndyD89, I love the Airedale temperament and intelligence. Really honest, hard working dogs.

Is it the angle of the pic, skycat, or is that dog/bitch a bit short coupled and boxy?  

2 hours ago, skycat said:

Never seen an Airedale that’s  brindle ?