Patterdale x whippet

31 minutes ago, LamperNM said:

Just my opinion I’ve seen them do it.. yapping out of frustration and they weren’t entered bad either or to young ?? 

That's right some dogs do it no matter what way they are entered I think it's in the dog itself to do it iam talking I've seen all cross x lurchers do this it's just one of the thing I think 

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reckon he could teach most pure whippets a thing or two. First x whippet Russell. Probably not as fast as a straight whippet but hardy, clever and brave. I wish I could have him back at that age aga

Russell X 3/4 grey 1/4 collie. This lad done way, way more than I ever expected. 22" ? Cheers, D.    

its a funny subject isn't it ....this hole thing of a dog opening up....yapping... as lurcher lads we are so programed to hate and detest opening up....its to point where most lads would never ad

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, LamperNM said:

Just my opinion I’ve seen them do it.. yapping out of frustration and they weren’t entered bad either or to young ?? 

8 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I'll be truthful I don't know much about whippets or their crosses but I have one here as a family pet and I've had it lamping a few times along with its sister and they've been mute as is both their parents while working. 

I've owned and worked four kc reg whippets, and none of them yapped when in pursuit, not once. 

Don't really agree with this 'whippets opening up/yapping' mullarkey myself.  I know most dogs, whippets, greyhounds and lurchers yap like f**k when watching other dogs, and the 'hare' at racing tracks etc, and I wonder if it's that that leads people to think whippets are more 'vocal'?

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I've owned and worked four kc reg whippets, and none of them yapped when in pursuit, not once. 

Don't really agree with this 'whippets opening up/yapping' mullarkey myself.  I know most dogs, whippets, greyhounds and lurchers yap like f**k when watching other dogs, and the 'hare' at racing tracks etc, and I wonder if it's that that leads people to think whippets are more 'vocal'?

Seen it first hand with whippets maybe it’s just the ones I’ve seen?? Frustrated yapping when they can’t pick it up who knows 

17 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Ye wanna hear this mutt when it sees next doors cat through the fence . Somersaulting and squealing like a banshee.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, LamperNM said:

Seen it first hand with whippets maybe it’s just the ones I’ve seen?? Frustrated yapping when they can’t pick it up who knows 

Seen alsorts of lurchers yapping. But my terrier will hunt completely mute on top even when a fox is right in front of her 

11 hours ago, LamperNM said:

Yeah, I get what you're saying.  But a lot of people just dismiss whippets automatically as yappers, when in fact almost all crosses, pures etc,  will yap if they're unfit, 'maybe' carrying an unseen injury, might simply be not fast or agile enough, or when run too young etc.

• Like 2
On 16/06/2021 at 21:02, Moocher71 said:

Mates got a lakeland x greyhound, she's getting on now but she put some stuff away .

Moocher, what height is she? a proven game leggy terrier over a big running hound is something I am eager to do.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ijf said:

Moocher, what height is she? a proven game leggy terrier over a big running hound is something I am eager to do.

Russell X 3/4 grey 1/4 collie. This lad done way, way more than I ever expected. 22" ?

Cheers, D.

001.JPG

• Like 10
1 hour ago, downsouth said:

Surely its got to be a better choice than a beddy whippet as lets be honest how many proper working Bedlingtons exist these days out of a line of working bedlingtons.

You have a point there.. although there is still a few good working bedlingtons about 

2 minutes ago, baker boy said:

It is in some cases but not as important the last 40 yrs

Why mate ? Locater collars still need noise electrics fails so lads been breeding them to not be vocal then mate ?

do bushers need to be vocal ?

1 minute ago, baker boy said:

You can still hear a terrier below ground most of the time even if its not baying theres nearly always some noise to give a rough idea where they are, locators just make it a lot easier and quicker in the main, I know nothing of bushing dogs

?so terriers have become quieter since locater collars were invented mate ?

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Theres terriers and terriers mate, some are as you say very vocal some not so much

So a quality terrier is quiet ?

I thought that be the equivalent of a sighthound not chasing on sight ?