Vintage Tackle Tope

After a couple of cancelled trips we finally managed to get out boat fishing. 

The catch included mackerel,bream,bass ,conger and undulate rays.  Though l didn't catch any conger or rays myself l did end up as Tope Catching King.  All day long the mini-sharks ,mostly between 10 and 20lbs,  kept hoovering-up my badly presented baits. 

What made it fun was that l was using an old cane rod and a reel that is best described as a quirky but well considered bit of British engineering.

Made by Grice and Young ,The Orlando looks like a simple drum reel  apart from a weird  sticky-out thing at the front.

With the press of a lever the spool comes away from its back- plate and slides onto the sticky- out thing and voila; Bob  and Fanny are suddenly related to your parents......

Not only that,but suddenly you have a thing known as a side-caster ; basically a  fixed spool reel . 

You cast in fixed spool mode ,then clip the spool back into the  winch position for reeling-in.

This causes the line to twist and get all loopy .   But no; British engineering has the answer to that.

By popping the spool onto the sticky-out casting thingy in a different way each time - handles forward for one cast, handles back for the next - line  twist is neutralised.

Ah yes British engineering had an answer for everything.   ..   Well nearly everything ; just imagine what might happen if a decent fish took the bait while you were changing from casting to retrieving modes!

20210616_084405.jpg.96c9134fb0ad5c3a5251d2eb1ee7f1d7.jpg20210615_111811_resized(1).jpg.2e2d45b2d1be93ed1e21763e6215cbd3.jpg20210615_182351.jpg.f7849140726c012c133a825dd60f08ae.jpg

• Like 12

About ten or twelve years ago I had this mad idea to catch one using fly tackle off my kayak. I rigged up a strong mono trace with a lure made from large white feathers, big hook and attached the leader to a downrigger so the fly would be kept near to the bottom while I drifted over the sandbanks off Filey. Never got a touch. ?

Then I had another mad idea about trying to catch a halibut like the Yanks do off California by trailing a chain from the downrigger with a leader to a  lure clipped to the top end. Another failed effort. 

I never make it easy for myself ?

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Hayling Island near you? Due there anytime

Nearer you than me mate :thumbs:,we get them a few miles out here and just waiting for some nice weather to get further out on the new boat..

• Like 1