Grass Snake

I realy don't know a whole load about these, see them from time to time but saw one yesterday approx 18inches (45cm) long, and it got me thinking.

How old would that be, surely to big to have been born this year, but how long do they take to reach maturity (full length)?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Cheers, I've a pretty good idea how long they can get, I'm curious as to how quickly they grow and how long it takes them to get to full length, can't seem to find any meaningful informaion on that!!

:thumbs:

6 minutes ago, Deker said:

Cheers, I've a pretty good idea how long they can get, I'm curious as to how quickly they grow and how long it takes them to get to full length, can't seem to find any meaningful informaion on that!!

My brother thought he had a heron visiting one of  his ponds last year as he was loosing lots of small koi so he dropped the water down about 18" to stop it reaching through the netting.It was only a couple of days after dropping the levels he spotted a grass snake in there about 5ft long.Once he dropped the levels it had either dropped in or was already hiding in there and couldnt get back out.Scoffed pretty much a whole years worth of youngsters

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

No sure how long it takes but saw some crackers, South Wales is full of them?

Had one for 5/6yrs got to about 5ft as a pet when I was a kid,used to catch tons of them and slow worms..they spray you like a skunk when threatened ?

• Like 5
42 minutes ago, Deker said:

Would of thought abundance of food plays a part...my kids got cornsnakes took 15 months to grow them up to 3ft from around 10",one meal a week?

5 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Had one for 5/6yrs got to about 5ft as a pet when I was a kid,used to catch tons of them and slow worms..they spray you like a skunk when threatened ?

Always wanted one since I was a kid, we haven't got them round here or I would have had them.

• Like 1

Same here, Gnip. Always wanted one. Probably only ever even seen one or two in my life! And the one I remember was just something extremely long, extremely fast! Glimpse of black as is shot through these low cut bamboo stems. No way I was throwing myself after That one then.

Had the odd snake since. Blue Racer would be extremely similar. Fukking thing scared me to death though. Moved like greased lightening and was ever happy to strike at me. Fukking thing.

I prefer amphibians.

9 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Had a few slow worms as "pets" when I was a kid, but never a snake...

Saw a big one last year at.the place we have the comp, swam across the silver fish lake when I was stood with Dave, he said he sees a fair few there...

On 15/06/2021 at 07:48, Deker said:

I realy don't know a whole load about these, see them from time to time but saw one yesterday approx 18inches (45cm) long, and it got me thinking.

How old would that be, surely to big to have been born this year, but how long do they take to reach maturity (full length)?

Any ideas?

Cheers

3 years to reach maturity and there about 7 inch when born 

We came across 10 or 12 last week, mostly road kill. They were about 6" long with bright yellow spots on their heads. I reckon they had recently hatched and headed for the road as it would have remained warm as the evening temperatures dropped. Some were stirrring and heading towards the verge.