Saluki's and their crosses.

29 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Has any pures won any competitions then that have included coursing dogs? 

I bet many pure aficionados had to admit through gritted teeth that the coursing bred dogs were superior to pures on the UK hare. 

Does it really matter though as long as they are having fun. 

That Shady won against crosses, and did well in the forley. 

Not much in it with some of them

• Like 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rambo, 10 months old ready to start learning his job over the spring 

My rabbiting bitch . Keeps me happy

Right,I'll tell ye this ,once only,....cause I don't bother with the horseshit shovelled out in these pathetic debates,Katchum came with another bloke,he transported back 6 of the pups to England ,he

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Why did he prefer the pures, out of loyalty or did he think they were better animals? 

Stuff that, give me the best possible. 

he thought they was stronger runners relentless a good one will run all day 

but now a days i’d go coursing bred me self mate 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Are you thinking of getting a pure Greb ? If so I wouldn’t bother the good ones are few and far between, only asking because you are asking a lot of questions about them 

Not really a pure mate but will be seeing what these coursing bred dogs are about if any decent litters pop up. 

Only been in to the bull crosses for teeth and bigger gear when I used to go out lamping and then ended up getting a 3/4 collie cross that was a decent hare killer. 

It was impressive tbh seeing how much more capable he was on hares than dogs my mates had. 

The more I went out with him the more I preferred running hares than teeth, at the end of the day those big rabbits are running machines and it takes a decent dog to catch them regularly. 

Ideally I will be looking for one next year after I remortgage the house but I'll see. 

Just got to box cleverly with my house and job and then I'll be good to go. 

I've already planted the seed with our lass and she's not put her feet down. ?

If anything pops up in the meantime I'm going cards in. ?

Regarding pures, just interesting to read the history, even dogs hundreds or maybe thousands of years old can be improved by us Brits. 

Praise to all those breeding such animals. ?

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Not really a pure mate but will be seeing what these coursing bred dogs are about if any decent litters pop up. 

Only been in to the bull crosses for teeth and bigger gear when I used to go out lamping and then ended up getting a 3/4 collie cross that was a decent hare killer. 

It was impressive tbh seeing how much more capable he was on hares than dogs my mates had. 

The more I went out with him the more I preferred running hares than teeth, at the end of the day those big rabbits are running machines and it takes a decent dog to catch them regularly. 

Try another collie cross, you never know but I’ve heard a lot of them are a bit keen to use there handbrake if they get any real kosh, to clever for there own good, pick and choose there runs, don’t like it when they meet mr right ?

3 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

Do they even call them Afghan hounds in their coo, I thought that was a name put on them by the KC

I expect they call them the local term for sight hound  be that greyhound   saluki,  galgo or whatever it amounts to the same thing.

3 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Try another collie cross, you never know but I’ve heard a lot of them are a bit keen to use there handbrake if they get any real kosh, to clever for there own good, pick and choose there runs, don’t like it when they meet mr right ?

I'm going to try the real deal mate. 

He never jacked on any runs, he did have his faults though. 

Occasionally he would yap when he knew the hare was getting near cover. 

Obviously he would never compete with a saluki cross on a proper taxing run but it would take a good dog to out run him for one course with a short to mid slip. 

Now I'm not going to kid myself and say I travelled the country looking for the best hares but he was very decent out on a mooch. 

He did catch 3/3 one day, admittedly they weren't all gruelling runs and I doubt they were in January from what i remember.