Saluki's and their crosses.

9 minutes ago, sandymere said:

The genetics are what they are, the Moroccans ruled are large part of Spain for centuries hence Galgos and Sloughis being closely related.

Spain was invaded more than any other country  maybe for the galgos blood ?

Edited by green lurchers
  • Haha 1

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rambo, 10 months old ready to start learning his job over the spring 

My rabbiting bitch . Keeps me happy

Right,I'll tell ye this ,once only,....cause I don't bother with the horseshit shovelled out in these pathetic debates,Katchum came with another bloke,he transported back 6 of the pups to England ,he

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, TOMO said:

lets start at the beginning.....lol......

first of all that aint spain its south america....you might think so what....but they are European brown hares not Iberian...

theres 4 dogs at one point on a hare....

that vid is not going to convince me that our british dogs might struggle in spain...

i would love for our dogs to be superior....of course i would....i just dont believe you can say they are by watching spanish galgos on vid in spain.....you would have to go there and do it...to know for sure   

a sloughi looks like a saluki mate a galgos looks like a greyhound 

• Like 1

The Galgo has a long history. Their ancestors can be traced back to ancient Egypt, Asia and Celtic Europeans, as far back as 8 A.D. Greyhounds, in general, are often referred to as one of the oldest purebred dogs

i wonder what ancestor can be traced back to ancient egypt ??

3 hours ago, mC HULL said:

the spectacle was for the rich mate any one else was a hunter?

Rich Arabs Medes Persians didn’t own Salukis ? ? Arrian quote you kill hares dropped or watever we course fir the love of sport killings easy 

7637CDC9-3C0C-4793-9FB5-ED28C0C5F88A.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers
8 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

a sloughi looks like a saluki mate a galgos looks like a greyhound 

mC, I don't want to sound condescending or patronising, but Morocco is in North Africa, Saudi is the Arabian peninsula, many, many miles apart. 

Saudi is Arab, and has only existed as a country for less than 100 years, Morocco is also Arab, but also Berber, Touareg and african. Even the Arabic they speak is different.

But down to dogs; North Africa has its sloughis and azawhaks, head east into the Fertile Crescent , Persia, (Iran) and the Arabian peninsula and they have their Salukis, go north a bit into the Caucasus region and you'll find tazi, Afghan hound, go further north into Russia and the Eurasian steppes and you get the borzoi and the Horta, turn West into Eastern Europe and you'll find the chartpolski, the Magyar agar, amongst others.

Then into Western Europe and you get the galgo, grey hound, whippet etc.

I could go on to India, china and points east for their running type dogs, but I'm sure you get my gist.

Anyhow, if you go far enough back in time, all these dogs will have had a common ancestor, but time , climate, conditions, quarry and selective breeding has honed them into the individual breeds they now are.

And so endeth the lesson ! ? !

Cheers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

The Galgo has a long history. Their ancestors can be traced back to ancient Egypt, Asia and Celtic Europeans, as far back as 8 A.D. Greyhounds, in general, are often referred to as one of the oldest purebred dogs

i wonder what ancestor can be traced back to ancient egypt ??

Lol wheres that from the boys book of doggies lol, there's a lot of tosh written about sighthounds but thankfully genetics are sorting the wheat from the chaff. The sighthounds in general are all whats known as ancient breeds meaning they have no other ancestor within their genetic makeup, other than the greyhound which although old is developed from a collie type likely at the time the hare was introduced to Britain by the Romans. The Romans likely brought ancient sighthounds with them, quite possibly  galgos as their were Spanish legions in northern Europe and they extolled their value in their writings but not enough to leave a genetic trace. The locals thought we'll have some of that and set about creating their own sighthound and develop the fastest dog ever bred, the English greyhound.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

In modern-day Saudi Arabia, the Saluki is still revered to by many as “The Dog of Kings.” 

I don’t doubt that but if you go Mid East youl struggle to see a run thers fk all left maybe if you kniw a prince youl get to see action it might be dropped tho if you go North Africa they ditched dogs and use ak 47 to feed thers fk all ther as well , will add I see gazelle in Abu Dhabi but they were off sharpish think they thought I was driving your motor lol but if anyone sets out to catch them other than the royals you doing a stretch  b*****ds them rich cnts eh lol 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Haha 2
42 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

?

is there lads here sandy with galsos what are  daytime dogs ?

There's a few now and some just starting but not enough to get a decent genetic base. I've gotten a stud agreed for future use that has a bit of size which I like, both my youngsters are only 24" but might still bring on over in the future.

11 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

mC, I don't want to sound condescending or patronising, but Morocco is in North Africa, Saudi is the Arabian peninsula, many, many miles apart. 

Saudi is Arab, and has only existed as a country for less than 100 years, Morocco is also Arab, but also Berber, Touareg and african. Even the Arabic they speak is different.

But down to dogs; North Africa has its sloughis and azawhaks, head east into the Fertile Crescent , Persia, (Iran) and the Arabian peninsula and they have their Salukis, go north a bit into the Caucasus region and you'll find tazi, Afghan hound, go further north into Russia and the Eurasian steppes and you get the borzoi and the Horta, turn West into Eastern Europe and you'll find the chartpolski, the Magyar agar, amongst others.

I could go on to India, china and points east for their running type dogs, but I'm sure you get my gist.

Anyhow, if you go far enough back in time, all these dogs will have had a common ancestor, but time , climate, conditions, quarry and selective breeding has honed them into the individual breeds they now are.

Cheers.

Very erudite, oh great sage!  ? ?

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

I don’t doubt that but if you go Mid East youl struggle to see a run thers fk all left maybe if you kniw a prince youl get to see action it might be dropped tho if you go North Africa they ditched dogs and use ak 47 to feed thers fk all ther as well , will add I see gazelle in Abu Dhabi but they were off sharpish think they thought I was driving your motor lol but if anyone sets out to catch them other than the royals you doing a stretch  b*****ds them rich cnts eh lol 

Still plenty of game in some parts of North Africa/Mediterranean basin I was offered a job in a hospital out there and one of the sweeteners was going out with the managers brother and his sloughi/lurchers and having my own dogs. I like the dog bit but didn't fancy leaving my family for weeks at a time. His brother is a decent sort though and I keep in contact with them just to see what they're up to .

Edited by sandymere
18 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

north africa charts aye lol but muslim mate 

good read of differengt types mate