Saluki's and their crosses.

Just now, TOMO said:

we british do like to think our hare is the hardest to catch....this opinion is ussualy based on nothing more than pride.....

cos lets be honest there will be very few of us that have took a dog to other countries to find out

I think a lot of that is to do with the land we run, especially in winter. 

The slop definitely taxes a dog and stacks the odds in the hares favour. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rambo, 10 months old ready to start learning his job over the spring 

My rabbiting bitch . Keeps me happy

Right,I'll tell ye this ,once only,....cause I don't bother with the horseshit shovelled out in these pathetic debates,Katchum came with another bloke,he transported back 6 of the pups to England ,he

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I think a lot of that is to do with the land we run, especially in winter. 

The slop definitely taxes a dog and stacks the odds in the hares favour. 

i must admit i would like to hear mc view on what he means exactly by "slop".....because i usualy find when its particularly muddy and the hares feet are getting balled up same as my dogs....the dogs catch easier... 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, two crows said:

our old saluki blood from micks flash is traceable back to 1890 in iraq same blood comes forwards to modern coursing dogs via your dads dogs as well, 

And there we have why mchull is so smitten,daddy used to breed them ..

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

we british do like to think our hare is the hardest to catch....this opinion is ussualy based on nothing more than pride.....

cos lets be honest there will be very few of us that have took a dog to other countries to find out

That's quite possible, tomo.  But the british 'european brown hare' is far larger than a lot of those middle east etc hares.

2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

That's quite possible, tomo.  But the british 'european brown hare' is far larger than a lot of those middle east etc hares.

it might be bigger ...but im not sure that makes it faster...or perhaps harder to catch...

all the times ive been out coursing and spoke to lads more experienced than myself will often remark that the best hares they have ran have been the smaller jacks around six or seven pounds rather than the big 8 or 9 pound whoppers you sometimes get ...

its an interesting subject and open for debate of course....cos there are dozens of hare species around the world...

and i see lads on here dismissing the spanish hare saying our coursing dogs would muller them....i would love to see that cos i recon they might be in for a shock...would love to see it though

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

IMG_20191227_205322.jpg.131741653e21965cf06a5607efbac07b.jpgIMG_20191227_205220.jpg.32fbb6c401d961e31fad38c1abfff8f0.jpg

A Galgo X Saluki.IMG_20200530_143001.jpg.ad16452b5c517303d656a2d13b900874.jpg

I don’t know any rich Arabs with saluki kennels but through my work I do have a few contacts with less well set up people from North Africa and the Arabian Peninsula through a shared interest in sighthounds. I must say i’ve found it interesting to see the dogs they use to work out there. They have a love of the saluki in an aesthetic way and because of the history but very few run pure salukis; rather they run Saluki type that is laced with blood from Galgos and Greyhounds for smaller game, starting on Jerboa then onto Hares and they use Sloughi types for bigger game, fox jackal and wolf. There appears to be a bit of a divergence between pedigree type salukis and working ones which seems to happen with most breeds in recent years. So If I were after importing a saluki I’d avoid a pure and go for something from working stock, indeed I was offered a pup from proven stock but haven’t the room for more than one type.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, TOMO said:

it might be bigger ...but im not sure that makes it faster...or perhaps harder to catch...

all the times ive been out coursing and spoke to lads more experienced than myself will often remark that the best hares they have ran have been the smaller jacks around six or seven pounds rather than the big 8 or 9 pound whoppers you sometimes get ...

its an interesting subject and open for debate of course....cos there are dozens of hare species around the world...

and i see lads on here dismissing the spanish hare saying our coursing dogs would muller them....i would love to see that cos i recon they might be in for a shock...would love to see it though

Yep, I'll agree there, some of the smaller sized hares my dogs have caught were very hard to catch.

And again, those galgos coursing in spain, very impressive, far more so than the salukis.

• Like 1

The world is becoming a smaller place which is allowing  breeds to travel, the saluki is used in South America to breed into their working dogs, although they're still importing Galgo in the main, creating another galgo/greyhound/saluki type although there is a fair bit of collie in them as well, a good few show merle coats. As I say the world is getting smaller, these days I can get an invite to go to North Africa to see their dogs run or a question from Argentina about how i condition my dogs or from Uruguay about how to  treat an injury or a question from a coursing man from the UK on how to import a Galgo from Spain, its a big planet with lots of people breeding and working dogs so the idea that we are the best.....

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, TOMO said:

i must admit i would like to hear mc view on what he means exactly by "slop".....because i usualy find when its particularly muddy and the hares feet are getting balled up same as my dogs....the dogs catch easier... 

Lol a bit a rain on clay may get balled up lol 

On slop mate real wet clay sandy clay no balling at all mate no sticking just sinking 

And never been on peat balls 

Normally just clay with a bit a wetness that balls up mate ? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

I've seen vid pures from here over Spain stopping them mate easier than they would here ? 

Smaller type here go well mate but I've had big gingers up on tops pull and pull hit a good one its no different ? ?

Food what there eating will have a massive influence them Spanish hares not getting fed like ours land isn't as rich for things to grow ?

2 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I've seen vid pures from here over Spain stopping them mate easier than they would here ? 

Smaller type here go well mate but I've had big gingers up on tops pull and pull hit a good one its no different ? ?

Food what there eating will have a massive influence them Spanish hares not getting fed like ours land isn't as rich for things to grow ?

The Spanish coursers I've asked have felt that the Iberian hare runs better than the European in the north of Spain where they have both types.