Taking the plunge.

8 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Do what you want to do, simples. If it means tightening the belt buckle a bit an cutting down the outgoings you’ll soon get used to it, money don’t buy time pal ?

By outgoings I meant the costs of being self employed. 

Once you've payed for cars and such are you actually any better off than being on a lower rate with van and fuel card. 

I'm sat here still in two minds with what to do. 

I could pack my bag and go down London until Friday and carry on as per usual or I could make the break. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh thank f**k you've told us we've all been so worried

Ironically the guy you’ve constantly been calling a skiver and dole scrounger is probably best placed to answer any concerns you might have …….

I’ve got to the stage in my business now that the price is the price and I don’t lower it for anybody. Pay me what I’m asking or find somebody else. 

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Cheers pal. 

Just a heads up, I did a day for the agency today. 

They are doing muck away and filling jobs on future housing sites. 

With my daughter being under the weather I was going to have a few days off work cos the doctors are pissing me off so trying to get to the bottom of things. 

The agency rang me on Monday desperate for a roller driver, they're paying me £19 per hour. 

Tbh mate with my £100 food allowance I'm dragging more than £800 a week when working away, that's with a Saturday morning as well so nothing amazing. 

My old man has done his best to talk me out of it today. 

He's obviously looking out for me with me having a mortgage and all that, the fear factor has put some serious doubts in my mind. 

What about if the country shuts down again? 

What about winter time when the work drys up? 

Having to buy another car or a work van, tax and insurance? 

Once you've payed all your outgoings is that few extra quid a hour worth it over job security? 

Fcuk knows what to do. 

I'm working in a quarry..and they didn't have a single day off when covid hit mate..no rain offs as working with rock..not a single ton of topsoil or subsoil to be seen..lots of lads been there 15+ yrs 1 lad 37yrs..

Muckshifting is seasonal work really when I started 27yrs ago I done my telehandler ticket to jump on the building sites through winter.once spring came around back on the muckshift..

To be honest the place I just started is the most relaxed place I've ever worked.

Leave the hole at 10 to for break in the cabin for 5 to and walk out the cabin at 20 to and not a single word said even the foreman is on valium I'm sure lol..breaks supposed to be 30 mins..

Leave the hole at 5:30 park by the changing room and leave at 15mins to 6 foreman says I will clock you out.and everyone fecks off..

No rushing about trucks running about 8mph all day.and years and years of solid easy work there mate..

Find a few local quarry's near you and give them a ring. it ain't amazing money but it's on the doorstep and job security for years to come..I've chased the money and lived in caravans all around the uk..even spent 2 months on solsbury hill in a caravan ? but that's a sore subject on here ?and pissed nearly everything against the pub toilet.yea it was a good laugh working away.but feck it now mate..i just want an easy life..

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jackthelad said:

same as yourself mate left a cushty number last week easy graft but was working with erseholes...on the A9 dualing doing the dry stone walls now better money but pushed for 5 metres a day 

Takes some doing 5m a day 

14 hours ago, Greyman said:

If it’s any consolation mate just jack if your not happy, I will be jacking at the boatyard on Friday myself, love the job people in there are backward retards, there is no loyalty or crack with your work mates and it’s a very toxic attitude, have nothing to go to but not willing to have the life sucked out of me, if your willing to graft something will always come along ??

Shame that hasn't worked out for you mate... but the short time I've spent in your company and yapping on here I pretty much know you'll be onto the next thing to make you happy pretty quick....Good luck with whatever that is...

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, king said:

I'm working in a quarry..and they didn't have a single day off when covid hit mate..no rain offs as working with rock..not a single ton of topsoil or subsoil to be seen..lots of lads been there 15+ yrs 1 lad 37yrs..

Muckshifting is seasonal work really when I started 27yrs ago I done my telehandler ticket to jump on the building sites through winter.once spring came around back on the muckshift..

To be honest the place I just started is the most relaxed place I've ever worked.

Leave the hole at 10 to for break in the cabin for 5 to and walk out the cabin at 20 to and not a single word said even the foreman is on valium I'm sure lol..breaks supposed to be 30 mins..

Leave the hole at 5:30 park by the changing room and leave at 15mins to 6 foreman says I will clock you out.and everyone fecks off..

No rushing about trucks running about 8mph all day.and years and years of solid easy work there mate..

Find a few local quarry's near you and give them a ring. it ain't amazing money but it's on the doorstep and job security for years to come..I've chased the money and lived in caravans all around the uk..even spent 2 months on solsbury hill in a caravan ? but that's a sore subject on here ?and pissed nearly everything against the pub toilet.yea it was a good laugh working away.but feck it now mate..i just want an easy life..

The games have already started though. 

I told the agency I don't want to go umbrella and to pay me CIS, well today the payroll company who they use rang me, even for CIS they charge you £18 a week, supposedly that's for public liability insurance and admin. 

They have asked me to stay on with this muckshifting firm for a 17 week job in Leeds only 30 mins from my house. 

They do all the prep work for Kiers and Wates. 

Again though it's just roller work and banking wagons in, I've told them I've got my 360 and want to help out with them. 

Obviously agencies can tell you anything but I'm only going by what they're saying. 

I don't think many jobs are really secure,and some shit paying jobs became good money earners during covid,and some other booming industries, jobs went to shit.i couldn't  work away unless it was double dollar,time away from family is not good,miss alot of time with kids etc,and that's not for me.

• Like 1

This might mean feck all but I stopped smoking after 35yrs for 4yrs and was comfortable working for the pest control on the council,I got a call off a lad I know who is a manager at a milk place offering me a yardmans/driver job and said it’s the same pay I was on.The job was on my doorstep and after been there a month and a half I was back on the fags.It was like working with fecking kids so I sharpe binned that and went bag on the wagons for 2yrs till the pest control company I’m with now offered me a job so I’m back on that and happy doing it.Mainly because I’m left alone and get no chew as all my work and callouts are done which suits me.But I’m always on my 1st job for 6-6.30 on a morning and home for 2-2.30.Like said mate sometimes the grass isn’t greener on the other side but I’ve just been off red a job on the wagons again £5000 a year more than I’m on I’m 51 now and not getting no younger and it’s delivering to pubs and I can’t be arsed carrying them heavy kegs day in day out.

Edited by lurchers
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, Qbgrey said:

I don't think many jobs are really secure,and some shit paying jobs became good money earners during covid,and some other booming industries, jobs went to shit.i couldn't  work away unless it was double dollar,time away from family is not good,miss alot of time with kids etc,and that's not for me.

That's it really, in two years with this firm I'd only done a week away from home and since having the little one in March I've been away just about every day since then, sods law that. 

8 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

The games have already started though. 

I told the agency I don't want to go umbrella and to pay me CIS, well today the payroll company who they use rang me, even for CIS they charge you £18 a week, supposedly that's for public liability insurance and admin. 

They have asked me to stay on with this muckshifting firm for a 17 week job in Leeds only 30 mins from my house. 

They do all the prep work for Kiers and Wates. 

Again though it's just roller work and banking wagons in, I've told them I've got my 360 and want to help out with them. 

Obviously agencies can tell you anything but I'm only going by what they're saying. 

Have the crack with the site manager mate.about working direct to them on the books...they will save money by not paying the agencies fees..ring around the local quarry's tomorrow..just google quarry's in your county on google maps and they will all be there..ring them starting closest to you and work out distance wise if that's the route you want to take..all the quarry's will pay a similar rate mate..

Just now, king said:

Have the crack with the site manager mate.about working direct to them on the books...they will save money by not paying the agencies fees..ring around the local quarry's tomorrow..just google quarry's in your county on google maps and they will all be there..ring them starting closest to you and work out distance wise if that's the route you want to take..all the quarry's will pay a similar rate mate..

What rates do you think they'll be paying? 

Doesn't that get a bit tedious like? 

3 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

That's it really, in two years with this firm I'd only done a week away from home and since having the little one in March I've been away just about every day since then, sods law that. 

That's the thing I tell my young lads,use you,re hard earned wisely, cause once you get a mortgage, kids etc you won't see much of them cause your be working to fund it.but they still want thier kids,wife's,dogs,thiers,birthdays off work.ffs

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

That's the thing I tell my young lads,use you,re hard earned wisely, cause once you get a mortgage, kids etc you won't see much of them cause your be working to fund it.but they still want thier kids,wife's,dogs,thiers,birthdays off work.ffs

Ya not wrong there 

1 minute ago, Greb147 said:

What rates do you think they'll be paying? 

Doesn't that get a bit tedious like? 

About 30k a year 2.5k a month 625 a week..not amazing money no..but 100% job security untill you retire if you want to stay in a quarry mate..

Is pulling the levers on a dozer or digger tedious mate..not really your hands work on there own without any thought from you once you are used to the machines mate..radio on bottle of water and relax and crack on...sitting on your arse all day..

4 minutes ago, king said:

About 30k a year 2.5k a month 625 a week..not amazing money no..but 100% job security untill you retire if you want to stay in a quarry mate..

Is pulling the levers on a dozer or digger tedious mate..not really your hands work on there own without any thought from you once you are used to the machines mate..radio on bottle of water and relax and crack on...sitting on your arse all day..

Sounds a Cushty job king. But does it not get boring in the same place day in day out? Give me my tractor and the countryside every time. Plenty of hours if you want them. But in quiet times can get a day off next day as long as all the work is done etc ??

• Like 1