Taking the plunge.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh thank f**k you've told us we've all been so worried

Ironically the guy you’ve constantly been calling a skiver and dole scrounger is probably best placed to answer any concerns you might have …….

I’ve got to the stage in my business now that the price is the price and I don’t lower it for anybody. Pay me what I’m asking or find somebody else. 

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Greb147 said:

The closer to countdown the less chance of it happening. 

I'm still employed by the way so I could easily get up in the morning and drive to London and carry on as usual or I could throw another sickie or two and see how it is. 

My hard hat is down on the job as well so after fish about for one if I'm going to do it. 

Our lass is very dubious, paranoid we'll be skint by the end of the month. ?

I never knew Richard Whiteley was on the railway

If it’s any consolation mate just jack if your not happy, I will be jacking at the boatyard on Friday myself, love the job people in there are backward retards, there is no loyalty or crack with your work mates and it’s a very toxic attitude, have nothing to go to but not willing to have the life sucked out of me, if your willing to graft something will always come along ??

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, Greyman said:

If it’s any consolation mate just jack if your not happy, I will be jacking at the boatyard on Friday myself, love the job people in there are backward retards, there is no loyalty or crack with your work mates and it’s a very toxic attitude, have nothing to go to but not willing to have the life sucked out of me, if your willing to graft something will always come along ??

Sorry to hear that mate - my last job ended up like that...... a change of management and a few new dickheads in the mix made it a horrible place to be.

That boatyard looked like a nice job, especially in this weather.

Bit of a dilemma do what's best for you only experience of working away i had was in the 84/85 strike accepted a job in a Scottish steelworks subbing for Plybrico lining a furnace and was offered jobs working abroad for silly money feck that i went back to the pit after the strike working away was not for me for any amount of money family kids and dogs come first.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Greyman said:

Well done Brother,..life is too short to waste it being around negative thinkers and dross heads,..if you do not walk,.they will eventually kill your soul, and that would be criminal...?

I have always walked my own path,..it has been so hard, and my poor temperament and inner Demons have definitely made the walk far harder than it should have been...

But, I've learned my lesson....bit late I know, but there ya go..

I wish you good fortune for the future,..stay safe now, regards, OldPhil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4
21 hours ago, Greb147 said:

I'm on the verge of jacking by job in but I'm suffering from cold feet, really unsure what to do. 

I've been working away for the last few months and getting fed up of it. I know it's part and parcel of being on the railway but after recently having a bairn it's taking a toll on the Mrs and my old man who's having to take my dog out for me twice a day. 

I've been thinking of jumping gun for a while now, my 4 year old has not been well these last few weeks and is now suffering from a nasty ear infection, I've not gone in to work today as we were at the hospital with her last night. 

Now on work, I've been wanting to get on the excavators and make a career of it, just like the idea of having the freedom and  choice of where I want to work and the fact that it pays decent. 

I know they are the bottom of the barrel but I've joined a few agencies and I'm getting bombarded with offers. 

Now I know it's not digger driving but I've been offered 3 weeks work at Leeds for £19ph on the dumper & roller. 

What would you folk go with, a guaranteed wage, job security, work van & fuel card or the flexibility of going solo and home life? 

Decisions, decisions. 

No one can tell you what's right for you but I've been self employed for ever and can't imagine giving up the freedom. Nows a good time if you are going to do it, there's work everywhere at least round here

• Like 3

@Greb147 Have you not got any supervisors section managers on Network Rail who you have worked with local to where you live who you can have a word with in case there’s anything decent coming up.

I was a self employed motorcycle courier for 15 years best thing I done was getting on with NWR started on the shovel and I’m now on my 6th different job in the last 20 years, the good thing is there’s a lot of scope to do lots of different things I’ve been down the machine road with the road railers and cranes and grab lorries but it’s all mainly nights.

Good luck though mate you will find your way you seem to have plenty of character about you something will turn up your happy with.

And remember the old saying a happy wife is a happy life nothing worse than a moaning Mrs make your decisions wisely. ?

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Greyman said:

same as yourself mate left a cushty number last week easy graft but was working with erseholes...on the A9 dualing doing the dry stone walls now better money but pushed for 5 metres a day 

On 14/06/2021 at 13:39, Greb147 said:

I'm on the verge of jacking by job in but I'm suffering from cold feet, really unsure what to do. 

I've been working away for the last few months and getting fed up of it. I know it's part and parcel of being on the railway but after recently having a bairn it's taking a toll on the Mrs and my old man who's having to take my dog out for me twice a day. 

I've been thinking of jumping gun for a while now, my 4 year old has not been well these last few weeks and is now suffering from a nasty ear infection, I've not gone in to work today as we were at the hospital with her last night. 

Now on work, I've been wanting to get on the excavators and make a career of it, just like the idea of having the freedom and  choice of where I want to work and the fact that it pays decent. 

I know they are the bottom of the barrel but I've joined a few agencies and I'm getting bombarded with offers. 

Now I know it's not digger driving but I've been offered 3 weeks work at Leeds for £19ph on the dumper & roller. 

What would you folk go with, a guaranteed wage, job security, work van & fuel card or the flexibility of going solo and home life? 

Decisions, decisions. 

Tremendous amount of work out there now mate..and better rates than there has ever been..

Just before the 2008 crash the rates were about £13/14 on a dozer..the rates now are between £22/25hr 

360 rates about £18/20hr. 

Ideally you don't want to start on a house building site and that involves some precision to within 10mm for mot for drives/paths etc topsoiling you will have a little more tolerance..

Quarry work or muckshifting is working to the eye so to speak if it looks good to the eye it will do just fine..if you are on a 360 cutting a bench and loading trucks it won't matter if you have an 8ft bench or 10ft it doesn't matter as long as the floor is quite level so the dozer hasn't got to deal with a BMX track type floor.all up and down..if you get it looking nice to the eye.it will make the dozers life easy because he only has to trim the floor etc...

Take a week off work..and accept an agency job on a 360 and see how you get on..if you can't hack it just jack and go back to your job..

One last thing..the only thing stopping you from making a living from driving plant is you..

Here's a few examples mate..

I started work in a local quarry 3 weeks ago.15mins drive from the house..I could easily chase the money and travel about for the dozer rates.

£25 x 10hrs = £250 x 5 = £1250 for 5 days.now take off 20% tax leaves £1000 - £50 Ni leaves £950 once you pay what £100 for digs you got £850 Left. Grub will be £50 that leaves £800..that's good money..but and it's a big but..you are away from home and I don't want to do that..the quarry here is 12hr shifts and 5hrs Saturday..no rain offs as working with rock so consistent work all year..7yrs left there then 20yr extension..and the same place of work every day.i was happy to commute upto 50miles before for work all around the west Midlands.but to be honest I can't be arsed with commuting far now..I want an easy life mate.nice and steady every day.and in the house at 6:10 every night..

Give it a go see how you get on ? and good luck...

911181247_Screenshot_20210615-1954452.png.5b686421e641e139030cd325f79a274a.pngScreenshot_20210615-195715.png.e9215258c5dd1cdcfc05559d47c5e617.png

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, king said:

Tremendous amount of work out there now mate..and better rates than there has ever been..

Just before the 2008 crash the rates were about £13/14 on a dozer..the rates now are between £22/25hr 

Ideally you don't want to start on a house building site and that involves some precision to within 10mm for mot for drives/paths etc topsoiling you will have a little more tolerance..

Quarry work or muckshifting is working to the eye so to speak if it looks good to the eye it will do just fine..if you are on a 360 cutting a bench and loading trucks it won't matter if you have an 8ft bench or 10ft it doesn't matter as long as the floor is quite level so the dozer hasn't got to deal with a BMX track type floor.all up and down..if you get it looking nice to the eye.it will make the dozers life easy because he only has to trim the floor etc...

Take a week off work..and accept an agency job on a 360 and see how you get on..if you can't hack it just jack and go back to your job..

One last thing..the only thing stopping you from making a living from driving plant is you..

I started work in a local quarry 3 weeks ago.15mins drive from the house..I could easily chase the money and travel about for the dozer rates.

£25 x 10hrs = £250 x 5 = £1250 for 5 days.now take off 20% tax leaves £1000 - £50 Ni leaves £950 once you pay what £100 for digs you got £850 Left. Grub will be £50 that leaves £800..that's good money..but and it's a big but..you are away from home and I don't want to do that..the quarry here is 12hr shifts and 5hrs Saturday..no rain offs as working with rock so consistent work all year..7yrs left there then 20yr extension..and the same place of work every day.i was happy to commute upto 50miles before for work all around the west Midlands.but to be honest I can't be arsed with commuting far now..I want an easy life mate.nice and steady every day.and in the house at 6:10 every night..

911181247_Screenshot_20210615-1954452.png.5b686421e641e139030cd325f79a274a.pngScreenshot_20210615-195715.png.e9215258c5dd1cdcfc05559d47c5e617.png

I'd want more then 800 take home for working away

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

I'd want more then 800 take home for working away

That's it mate..although £25 is a good rate..once you factor in digs and food and most importantly being away from home the 800 doesn't seem so good...

Now commuting and clearing £950 after tax and ni is good.working away is a single man's game I think ?

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, king said:

Cheers pal. 

Just a heads up, I did a day for the agency today. 

They are doing muck away and filling jobs on future housing sites. 

With my daughter being under the weather I was going to have a few days off work cos the doctors are pissing me off so trying to get to the bottom of things. 

The agency rang me on Monday desperate for a roller driver, they're paying me £19 per hour. 

Tbh mate with my £100 food allowance I'm dragging more than £800 a week when working away, that's with a Saturday morning as well so nothing amazing. 

My old man has done his best to talk me out of it today. 

He's obviously looking out for me with me having a mortgage and all that, the fear factor has put some serious doubts in my mind. 

What about if the country shuts down again? 

What about winter time when the work drys up? 

Having to buy another car or a work van, tax and insurance? 

Once you've payed all your outgoings is that few extra quid a hour worth it over job security? 

Fcuk knows what to do.