Taking the plunge.

3 hours ago, Greyman said:

Well I lasted another week jacked it in last Friday, am not very computer literate which is a must in today’s world, so yesterday I got up and spent several hours on the internet learning, I joined a local Facebook group in the village I,m moored and put my services up on there in 24hrs I have had 3 jobs come in which will keep me busy for at least the next month or so and have also been offered a full time job with a wood burner installation company knocking out fireplace openings and making them ready for the stove at £20 an hour, as I,ve said before if your willing to graft you will never be left behind and the next door that opens may be the one you have waited all your life for ??

Well in there mate?

• Like 1

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh thank f**k you've told us we've all been so worried

Ironically the guy you’ve constantly been calling a skiver and dole scrounger is probably best placed to answer any concerns you might have …….

I’ve got to the stage in my business now that the price is the price and I don’t lower it for anybody. Pay me what I’m asking or find somebody else. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, South hams hunter said:

Bang on; my jobs not best in the world but it's easy and I get 3 days off 1 week and 4 the next. Job has very little stress and once my shifts done I'm don, suits me perfect but I'll never be rich

( suits me perfect but I”ll never be rich ).        Don’t know about that, that tent of yours looked a bit special with your inflatable couch ?

I'm getting to the stage of slowing down,been trying to go sea fishing for years,all I'm doing is working its getting out of the habit,I feel guilty if I'm not working,feel like a lazy bugger.when I see them fukkers sitting in Costa mid-week supping coffee I think you useless prats.a man needs the monies,to live a nice life.

10 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

I'm getting to the stage of slowing down,been trying to go sea fishing for years,all I'm doing is working its getting out of the habit,I feel guilty if I'm not working,feel like a lazy bugger.when I see them fukkers sitting in Costa mid-week supping coffee I think you useless prats.a man needs the monies,to live a nice life.

Trying to do that ourselves mate, both starting lesser hours, 1/3 rd, income down but better lifestyle, it's hard to break the cycle ?

Cheers, D.

11 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Trying to do that ourselves mate, both starting lesser hours, 1/3 rd, income down but better lifestyle, it's hard to break the cycle ?

Cheers, D.

Yup mate difficult,I would find it hard changing jobs were I worked longer hours for less money than I'm on now.i don't think I could handle that.most jobs are finish at 5,or 5.30pm.its also changing your spending habits,when we all go out with the kids it gets out of hand,seafood,cocktails for girls,milkshakes,beers,pizza,steaks,you name it,bar tabs 100 quid within 5mins of entering the place ffs.hahaaaa

I don't know what it's like elsewhere but round here a good handy man could earn a good living. 3-4 times a week I get asked to recommend someone to do some pest proofing, bird proofing solar panels, cutting trees and undergrowth back etc. Our kids a chimney sweep and he often doesn't have time to fit bird cowls or patching up fireplaces. We fell out with our usual odd job man and we are really stuck for someone to recommend. I've got half a dozen jobs at home need doing plus mums hedges need cutting and a shed knocking down. 

If I was out of work at the minute or starting again I'd be getting a van, trailer, decent set of ladders and just freelancing it. Get in touch with local tradesmen and businesses and offering my services 

Edited by DIDO.1

Mate of mines got a terrace house he's selling, he's just phoned to say he wants in tarting up, bit of painting, new skirts on 2 walls. He can't find a decorator to come within 6 weeks! 

Had a advert out for LGV vacuum tanker drivers for almost a month now Mon-Fri 7-4 £15ph flat, over time paid at 1.5 and x2 and only had 5 applicants, one didn't even have a LGV licence! Contacted 4 only 2 responded, only 1 out of the 2 turned up for the interview and didn't want the job. Certain sectors are struggling to recruit at the moment and cant see that changing for a while, 18 months of free money for a lot of people and they cant be arsed to get back in the market. For the grafters its great can name their price, one transport company in Bristol has increased drivers pay by 25% just to retain them.       

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

Had a advert out for LGV vacuum tanker drivers for almost a month now Mon-Fri 7-4 £15ph flat, over time paid at 1.5 and x2 and only had 5 applicants, one didn't even have a LGV licence! Contacted 4 only 2 responded, only 1 out of the 2 turned up for the interview and didn't want the job. Certain sectors are struggling to recruit at the moment and cant see that changing for a while, 18 months of free money for a lot of people and they cant be arsed to get back in the market. For the grafters its great can name their price, one transport company in Bristol has increased drivers pay by 25% just to retain them.       

Seen the same job advertised at 60k per year driving them on Indeed.

I got my hgv years ago last time they were desperate and money was improving. Within 12 months they had flooded the country with foreign drivers and money dropped away to nothing. 

I'd probably recommend hgv driving as a career but let's be honest....the money and jobs won't last as the government will find a way to flood the country with more cheap drivers rather than cultivate a well train happy native workforce. Probably offer free driver training to African boat people. All the the foreigners, how can you silly English survive without them ?

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Seen the same job advertised at 60k per year driving them on Indeed.

Potential earning I suspect and probably ADR but yes rumour has it the shortage is so severe ASDA are paying upwards of £25 p/h and the usual prepare yourself for food shortages has started.

43 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I got my hgv years ago last time they were desperate and money was improving. Within 12 months they had flooded the country with foreign drivers and money dropped away to nothing. 

I'd probably recommend hgv driving as a career but let's be honest....the money and jobs won't last as the government will find a way to flood the country with more cheap drivers rather than cultivate a well train happy native workforce. Probably offer free driver training to African boat people. All the the foreigners, how can you silly English survive without them ?

Agree, average age of a UK LGV driver is 53 apparently.

31 minutes ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

Potential earning I suspect and probably ADR but yes rumour has it the shortage is so severe ASDA are paying upwards of £25 p/h and the usual prepare yourself for food shortages has started.

Agree, average age of a UK LGV driver is 53 apparently.

What’s an LGV driver mate, I’m assuming light goods ie under 3.5 ton ??

44 minutes ago, Greyman said:

What’s an LGV driver mate, I’m assuming light goods ie under 3.5 ton ??

Large goods vehicle, but you are right it can also mean light goods vehicle, its hard work keeping up mate I still call it VOSA instead of the DVSA ? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Mate of mines got a terrace house he's selling, he's just phoned to say he wants in tarting up, bit of painting, new skirts on 2 walls. He can't find a decorator to come within 6 weeks! 

iam selling a flat now and aye decorators are hard to get hold of just now...and one i got was most miserable fcucker iv ever met...when this thread was started i jumped from a cushty number into a big walling job more dough but shoved for metres...guy was subbed to was total prick so now bck where i was before no hassle decent money and most important he wants quality not quantity so its a nice chilled gaff to work

• Like 1