Taking the plunge.

2 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Just going through the maths of things and in all honesty I think I would be slightly down over the year if I don't do any weekends. 

The rates are quite good 18's to 20's per hour but not amazing if you're only getting payed 8 or 9 hours a day. 

Then again it would be a joy not having to do saturday nights, be great having full weekends to myself. 

And agency's don't pay x1.5 mate..it's an easy life I think driving plant..yes you got to put the hours in for a decent wage..but for the uneducated folk out there and I'm one the money is ok I think...I can see me being where I am now for the long term to be honest...it is like groundhog day but that's the same everywhere I think..

How did you get on stripping topsoil..

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh thank f**k you've told us we've all been so worried

Ironically the guy you’ve constantly been calling a skiver and dole scrounger is probably best placed to answer any concerns you might have …….

I’ve got to the stage in my business now that the price is the price and I don’t lower it for anybody. Pay me what I’m asking or find somebody else. 

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, king said:

And agency's don't pay x1.5 mate..it's an easy life I think driving plant..yes you got to put the hours in for a decent wage..but for the uneducated folk out there and I'm one the money is ok I think...I can see me being where I am now for the long term to be honest...it is like groundhog day but that's the same everywhere I think..

How did you get on stripping topsoil..

I know they don't but if you work directly for the client they do. 

I've heard rumours from the supervisor that the boss thinks I'm a good lad so he will probably ask me to work directly for them. 

They are bad payers cards in but not terrible if you go self employed with them. I'll see how it pans out. 

Been toing and froing all weekend about what to do. 

I was sound on it pal, they are muckshifters though so not steady away, it was strip it and load the moxy ASAP for infill. 

11 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I know they don't but if you work directly for the client they do. 

I've heard rumours from the supervisor that the boss thinks I'm a good lad so he will probably ask me to work directly for them. 

They are bad payers cards in but not terrible if you go self employed with them. I'll see how it pans out. 

Been toing and froing all weekend about what to do. 

I was sound on it pal, they are muckshifters though so not steady away, it was strip it and load the moxy ASAP for infill. 

Moxy I haven't seen one of them for years.. time soon flies when you are at it all day mate..

They stockpiling the topsoil or topsoiling the batters etc..

20 hours ago, baker boy said:

Always an option in case the other work dries up..?

My son has had no work off that company I was tell you about for 2wks now mate,I told him to f**k them off as ya can’t live life like that and he has just been set back on at the company at the bottom of our estate.So he is back to making breeze blocks again but it’s £400 a week,better than nothing off that rail company mate.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Cant say I blame him mate, tell him if he still wants track work to try the bigger contract firms mate, theres always weekend work if he wants to bump his money up

He said he registered with one of them that you said but he was waiting for them to get back to him.He’s doing 4 on 4 off back at this place,so I said the weekends you don’t work try on the tracks so ya can make a few more £££

Well guys it's come to crunch time and I've decided to stay where I am for the time being. 

The timing is not right atm for me, the house is up for remortgaging next year and the last thing I need is a year's worth of uncertainty. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Well guys it's come to crunch time and I've decided to stay where I am for the time being. 

The timing is not right atm for me, the house is up for remortgaging next year and the last thing I need is a year's worth of uncertainty. 

Oh thank f**k you've told us we've all been so worried

• Haha 10
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2021 at 17:50, Greb147 said:

Well I lasted another week jacked it in last Friday, am not very computer literate which is a must in today’s world, so yesterday I got up and spent several hours on the internet learning, I joined a local Facebook group in the village I,m moored and put my services up on there in 24hrs I have had 3 jobs come in which will keep me busy for at least the next month or so and have also been offered a full time job with a wood burner installation company knocking out fireplace openings and making them ready for the stove at £20 an hour, as I,ve said before if your willing to graft you will never be left behind and the next door that opens may be the one you have waited all your life for ??

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Well I lasted another week jacked it in last Friday, am not very computer literate which is a must in today’s world, so yesterday I got up and spent several hours on the internet learning, I joined a local Facebook group in the village I,m moored and put my services up on there in 24hrs I have had 3 jobs come in which will keep me busy for at least the next month or so and have also been offered a full time job with a wood burner installation company knocking out fireplace openings and making them ready for the stove at £20 an hour, as I,ve said before if your willing to graft you will never be left behind and the next door that opens may be the one you have waited all your life for ??

Whatever you are going to be, be happy.

If you ain’t happy with something, just don’t do it?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WILF said:

Whatever you are going to be, be happy.

If you ain’t happy with something, just don’t do it?

That was the problem in the boat yard loved the work and the environment but the relationship amongst the staff is totally toxic no trust or loyalty between any of them out of 6 staff 1 is a bully 1 a manic depressive and one a raving narcissist, everyone trying to drop others in the shit while doing the least they can, it all looked lovely and idealistic until you scratched the surface, so I had to get on before I ended up like them ??

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, sid g said:

a proper tax dodger claims nowt pays nowt ,,, ?

Claims everything, so therefore pays nowt, it’s impossible to just live outside of the system, trust me I tried for most of my life but it’s over and we have to adapt and move on, you can only play the system if you are part of the system today, adapt and overcome ??

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Happiness is under rated, I would highly recommend it to anybody, we here once an nocnut knows for how long so make the most

We are finding a few older guys jumping jobs, coming over to us even if for only a few shifts a week, seems there’s a lot of unhappiness in the workplace just now, in lots diff sectors, we have had a chef, accountant an now a fencer all come to us in past few months. All looking for a bit more happiness an less stress in there life’s, I been saying it for years, I may not have a lot material wise but with 4 happy healthy kids an my own happiness, i class myself as a very lucky dude. Nope it ain’t perfect but I do what I want, when I want an it seems to be working, if you don’t like what you doing ( obviously we can’t all sit on couch an wank all day, or work dogs everyday, but you can still be happy in what you have to do to support your family. I’m also lucky I don’t mind me own company haha so work a bit meself at nights an odd days out trapping an stuff with nobody to grip my shite, an when I do work with other folk I get to hand choose em ?

Bang on; my jobs not best in the world but it's easy and I get 3 days off 1 week and 4 the next. Job has very little stress and once my shifts done I'm don, suits me perfect but I'll never be rich

• Like 1

It's crazy, but I spent half of my life dodging regular work, so that I could go hunting,..then I managed to spend the rest of it, getting paid, to go hunting....?

Its a funny old world, and life often pans out, in a different way to you had planned?

Main thing,...most important thing, the critical thing, is,..ya gotta earn some vonga,.. but ya gotta be a happy bunny...

Mind you,..there is always money to be earned, one way or t'other..

Iv'e never put all my eggs in one basket, just in case...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Thanks 1