Taking the plunge.

34 minutes ago, lurchers said:

My oldest stepson has just done a course for his tickets on the railway lines,he is struggling to get 1 day a week in but it’s always hours away to the job.He doesn’t drive so it’s even worse I’ve told him to bin it and look for something else so he can work 5days a week.

I've always dropped on and found jobs on the books so generally better of on the railway as the overtime rates are better plus you are guaranteed midweek work. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh thank f**k you've told us we've all been so worried

Ironically the guy you’ve constantly been calling a skiver and dole scrounger is probably best placed to answer any concerns you might have …….

I’ve got to the stage in my business now that the price is the price and I don’t lower it for anybody. Pay me what I’m asking or find somebody else. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Just do it you fanny 

The closer to countdown the less chance of it happening. 

I'm still employed by the way so I could easily get up in the morning and drive to London and carry on as usual or I could throw another sickie or two and see how it is. 

My hard hat is down on the job as well so after fish about for one if I'm going to do it. 

Our lass is very dubious, paranoid we'll be skint by the end of the month. ?

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, socks said:

Ironically the guy you’ve constantly been calling a skiver and dole scrounger is probably best placed to answer any concerns you might have …….

Where the feck is he? ?

53 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Thats basically how everyone starts out first off mate, then if theres any shape on him the regular work will come, if he doesnt like travelling and/or working away its not the job for him tho

He loves it when he gets the chance to and won’t mind working away but I said to him how can you hope you even get 1 day a week in.So if he does get the 1 day he has no income coming in that’s why I said look for something else.

3 hours ago, baker boy said:

Well if I get the job Im hoping to next month I'll be taking at least a 10 grand a year hit to be in my own bed every night, thats without the travelling and overtime I'll be losing out on, I dread to think of the full amount or I wouldnt go..?

Are you leaving the railway as well? 

In theory for hours worked this should be a pay rise but as you know when you're self employed especially agency work I won't be getting a wage day in day out. 

21 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

The closer to countdown the less chance of it happening. 

I'm still employed by the way so I could easily get up in the morning and drive to London and carry on as usual or I could throw another sickie or two and see how it is. 

My hard hat is down on the job as well so after fish about for one if I'm going to do it. 

Our lass is very dubious, paranoid we'll be skint by the end of the month. ?

He has had no work this week mate so no money coming in,I couldn’t live like that 

3 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

On paPer I could probably waLk onto a site managers / project managers job 

in reaLity , id be awful and get sAcked

are you actually any good in the machine? 

Like I said I wouldn't say I'm good, I've only had the ticket two minutes and seldom get to sit in one. 

I know the basics and I'm steady enough but it's just like driving a car, you only really learn once you get on the road. 

If your a manual type of person,sitting on a machine is torture,I have my own 360 s for my own jobs and it bores the bollox off me.a van and fuel is worth a few bob  tho,loading trucks all-day would kill me off,and doing footings and digging around existing services is quite a skill full job.i find it quite tiring working around lads all-day with the 360,s,I suppose it's concentrating alot.id say its long hours too,not like other trades on site,the 369 guys are thier first thing till last.but if you feel you need a change go for it,plenty of work about atm.pick and choose what you want.once you get in to it you will be wanted flat out that's the problem.good luck with it

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

If your a manual type of person,sitting on a machine is torture,I have my own 360 s for my own jobs and it bores the bollox off me.a van and fuel is worth a few bob  tho,loading trucks all-day would kill me off,and doing footings and digging around existing services is quite a skill full job.i find it quite tiring working around lads all-day with the 360,s,I suppose it's concentrating alot.id say its long hours too,not like other trades on site,the 369 guys are thier first thing till last.but if you feel you need a change go for it,plenty of work about atm.pick and choose what you want.once you get in to it you will be wanted flat out that's the problem.good luck with it

Yes mate that's all I've been used to so it wouldn't bother me if I could mix driving up with doing groundworks.

Been advised to go down that route as on house bashing sites you do a bit of everything on the machine plus the machines are usually on the smaller side so trickier to master, once you crack them you're laughing on the bigger gear. 

There is a lot of good advice on here.I would like to add you need a wife who is devoted.My wife is gamer than me and stuck with me through hell and back.I took the plunge over a decade ago and don't regret it.If the wife ain't happy you ain't gonna be happy.Whether you stay or go.

Another thing I  believe is job security is a myth in my opinion at least in Alabama.

I would recommend 3 to 6 months income saved back.

I haven't made a profit in two weeks.Its just part of it.

Hope this helps.

Good luck ?

• Like 2

Could you make a sideways move and stay on the railway?

......... something closer to home, still on ok money, in an industry that you know?

I don't know if they operate up your way but, have a look at a firm called Rail Freight Services - they supply plant and operators to the rail industry. You might be able to use your 360 ticket and stay in the industry. 

• Thanks 1

It's obvious you will take a different route at sometime ,if being away from home is making you unhappy now ,it will only get worse ,but if you decide to pack it in ,it doesn't have to be now ,make the decision ,then make the preparation to pave the way ,give yourself six\twelve month to prepare financially ,to make contacts ,make yourself busy finding out all your options ,talk to your Mrs and your family ,if your properly prepared it will feel less like stepping off a high kerb ,

• Like 3