Taking the plunge.

I'm on the verge of jacking by job in but I'm suffering from cold feet, really unsure what to do. 

I've been working away for the last few months and getting fed up of it. I know it's part and parcel of being on the railway but after recently having a bairn it's taking a toll on the Mrs and my old man who's having to take my dog out for me twice a day. 

I've been thinking of jumping gun for a while now, my 4 year old has not been well these last few weeks and is now suffering from a nasty ear infection, I've not gone in to work today as we were at the hospital with her last night. 

Now on work, I've been wanting to get on the excavators and make a career of it, just like the idea of having the freedom and  choice of where I want to work and the fact that it pays decent. 

I know they are the bottom of the barrel but I've joined a few agencies and I'm getting bombarded with offers. 

Now I know it's not digger driving but I've been offered 3 weeks work at Leeds for £19ph on the dumper & roller. 

What would you folk go with, a guaranteed wage, job security, work van & fuel card or the flexibility of going solo and home life? 

Decisions, decisions. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh thank f**k you've told us we've all been so worried

Ironically the guy you’ve constantly been calling a skiver and dole scrounger is probably best placed to answer any concerns you might have …….

I’ve got to the stage in my business now that the price is the price and I don’t lower it for anybody. Pay me what I’m asking or find somebody else. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Greb147 said:

I'm on the verge of jacking by job in but I'm suffering from cold feet, really unsure what to do. 

I've been working away for the last few months and getting fed up of it. I know it's part and parcel of being on the railway but after recently having a bairn it's taking a toll on the Mrs and my old man who's having to take my dog out for me twice a day. 

I've been thinking of jumping gun for a while now, my 4 year old has not been well these last few weeks and is now suffering from a nasty ear infection, I've not gone in to work today as we were at the hospital with her last night. 

Now on work, I've been wanting to get on the excavators and make a career of it, just like the idea of having the freedom and  choice of where I want to work and the fact that it pays decent. 

I know they are the bottom of the barrel but I've joined a few agencies and I'm getting bombarded with offers. 

Now I know it's not digger driving but I've been offered 3 weeks work at Leeds for £19ph on the dumper & roller. 

What would you folk go with, a guaranteed wage, job security, work van & fuel card or the flexibility of going solo and home life? 

Decisions, decisions. 

If your any good then you will probably get offered a job on the books...I've just taken an agency driver on...£22per HR van/fuel card..you just got to take the plunge mate?good luck?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Decisions, decisions. 

Try it mate...the railways will still be there if its not what you hoped for .

Personally I've never had a "secure" job, been self employed since 19 years old so it doesn't feel like a risk to me,but completely get everyone is different.. 

One thing though, once you are freelancing you still do the hours mate, infact maybe more...but at least you can choose when you do the hours, if you get what I mean.

If you aing afraid of graft, then it'll work, this is the busiest I've ever know it in the building/construction  game so you'll have a load of starts, build a good relationship with  few of them and your away.. 

Good luck

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

If your any good then you will probably get offered a job on the books...I've just taken an agency driver on...£22per HR van/fuel card..you just got to take the plunge mate?good luck?

I'm not good on the 360's as I've just started really, I'm steady and safe and getting better at grading off but I'm far from what I'd call good. 

The thing is, to get good you have to get in them often and the position I'm in at work I can't see that happening. 

The only way I can think of is to take the plunge, I know I will likely get fcuked off sites but it will eventually come. 

It's a difficult decision cos I'm getting payed quite well where I am and I know I will be getting that wage week in week out. 

11 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Try it mate...the railways will still be there if its not what you hoped for .

Personally I've never had a "secure" job, been self employed since 19 years old so it doesn't feel like a risk to me,but completely get everyone is different.. 

One thing though, once you are freelancing you still do the hours mate, infact maybe more...but at least you can choose when you do the hours, if you get what I mean.

If you aing afraid of graft, then it'll work, this is the busiest I've ever know it in the building/construction  game so you'll have a load of starts, build a good relationship with  few of them and your away.. 

Good luck

That's it, when you're on the books and have job safety you get plenty of perks I must admit. 

Half hour dinner breaks can often become over one hour on certain jobs, the same with job and knock. 

Not often you get over £250 for a hour on track and this happens often on the railway, you can have some gruellers mind but you take the rough with the smooth. 

Now I know I'll get a better rate going self employed but I imagine with missed days and such that it all evens out. 

I am a grafter like but not sure that's going to help when driving a digger, I've done the odd bit of building works but my meat and veg is the railway. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Find a nice big site and get on the muck shifting ?I'm no f***ing expert but can operate them , everyday is a school day,you learn as you go along... remember...your only as good as your banksman??

That's it mate, I've turned a few offers down in the past few weeks tbh. 

It's a difficult decision to make, I don't want to be away from my kids but I have to provide for them and keep the roof over their head. ?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Mate if you've got some time left on your rail tickets jump ship and give it a go, fckn railway aint going anywhere, you can always get back on track just dont burn any bridges

These guys pay the best I've had so that's the difficult one, racking my brain it is. ?

You got 20k or so aside mate to cover you out happens  I'd do it  ? but you have mortgage etc to pay young family mate and sometimes grass isn't always greener on the other side  ?

But he who dares Rodney he who dares ??

• Like 2

Ironically the guy you’ve constantly been calling a skiver and dole scrounger is probably best placed to answer any concerns you might have …….

• Haha 10

If you don't give it ago mate you will always look back and wished you had at leased tried. I was on the buildings for so years then went self employed then a main contractor. When the building went tits up back in the recession in Thatcher's day I worked in maintenance in a factory on the cards, then after some years they closed the factory and was laid off. Well by then I was in my sixty's no f****r wants to know you, done some real dip shit jobs agency work for crap money. Thought f**k this and went self employed doing anything gardening, odd jobs, work on farms and driving machines. Felt I was living again chose when  I worked I even cut out Fridays, customers respected you and became friends. I did that till I was 66 and they still ring from time to time trying to get me to do the odd job. I don't because I know it would never end Lol. Might help with a little machine job just for the hell of it.

Give it a go mate.

Just one thought though, keep your Books in order seen so many fall foul of that. HRMC were once going to do an investigation on me and that dropped it, my accountant could not believe it an ask if he could have a copy of the letter. He told me in all his career he had never known that and said the only thing I can think of is I had told him I wanted my books straight. 

Good Luck with it. It's a good life. Atb.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 3
17 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

That's it mate, I've turned a few offers down in the past few weeks tbh. 

It's a difficult decision to make, I don't want to be away from my kids but I have to provide for them and keep the roof over their head. ?

I hear you mate,was subbing for £28 HR..working away,no life..job on the books for £15 just under £18 now,they payed for my tickets,van,fuel card and payed holidays...best of all,I'm home every night?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sid g said:

depends on who and what you owe a lot to be said for a secure job and a good wage these days , i went self employed when i was 22 i managed to retire at 50 and tit about doing what i wanted for a few year thing is if its in you whatever job you do you still take the silly hours and working away what ever job your in my mates lad was away doing shop fitting stuck it for a few year on good money cleared his debts  then jacked took a 450 quid a week job home every night with the mrs n kids  and no weekends ,,, 

I've had this mortgage since 2017 so still a way to paying it off. 

I'm not going to lie I've been terrible with money in the past so not got much savings. 

Just been taking to a lad at work and he's trying to talk me out of it. 

I don't mind doing weekends but detest Saturday nights even though they can be short shifts. 

Always reckon it’s easier to regret something you did, rather than something you didn’t. As been said, life is short, and so if you’re that unhappy, make the change.
If it was me I’d want to get enough cash saved to cover me for at least a couple of months, just in case it takes a while to get going. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

• Like 2

My oldest stepson has just done a course for his tickets on the railway lines,he is struggling to get 1 day a week in but it’s always hours away to the job.He doesn’t drive so it’s even worse I’ve told him to bin it and look for something else so he can work 5days a week.