So joined a UK carp group

1 hour ago, mushroom said:

P.s. aren't carp an invasive species in the states?

Yeah ricky beat me too it lol. Common and grassies have been labeled as naturalized in most states but are still considered a trash fish by most. At best some will consider them a rough fish though. 

Silvers and big heads are the real problem. 

• Like 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of carp anglers in the UK aren't really anglers in a broader sense. A bit like driven pheasant shooters aren't really countrysports people. They simply cannot see beyond their own narrow world. 

Wolfie and Ricky ,please join an air gunners page ,and get back to us .

Wolf dog reading that post

Posted Images

12 hours ago, WILF said:

If I could offer Wolfdog one bit of advice it would be ignore all those carp forums.

Fish and read, make mistakes, refer back and learn to try and understand why what’s happening in front of you on the bank is happening.

There is excellent reading material out there, but I’d push you in the direction of Hutchy, Maddocks and (best of all in my opinion) Jim Gibbinson, specially “Big Water Carp”.......and excellent book that can be applied to all situations and really got me thinking differently back in the day.

Well worth looking for.

Maylin, Hearn, Lane are all about too much lads crack for me but decent reads none the less.

Also, worth looking at stuff from top match anglers (pre carp pond era) to see how they approach building a swim and baiting etc etc 

Yeah I gotcha. Honestly the only reason I'm in these groups is I find it pretty interesting. O like trying new things even if it doesn't work. Keeps it interesting ya know. Really I can just go to most ponds I know with a bag of dog food and some corn and catch about any ca p in there but again I get kinda bored quick lol.

I will say though do enjoy the cinematography of alot if the UK /euro carp fishing videos.

3 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Yeah ricky beat me too it lol. Common and grassies have been labeled as naturalized in most states but are still considered a trash fish by most. At best some will consider them a rough fish though. 

Do y'all have many silver down your way?

Ok and another thing , is it true these ponds will have little lodges by the bank with toilets and even hot tubs ?! I saw one guy complaining about how bad some facility were for lack of bathrooms and he mentioned how his favorite place had these amenities. I find it.......odd. like your in a really classy place here if you go to a state park and there's a public toilet a hundred or so yards up the bank that's not been used by the local meth heads in the last 24hr to smoke up.....I think I kill some.of these boys if I too them to some of my spots ?

Edited by Wolfdog91
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Do y'all have many silver down your way?

My GF says when her and her folk fish the river their a big problem,jumping out the water in all. But I've never fished on the river so I wouldn't know first hand lol ? 

Apparently you can catch them with a hook though

7 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

The Polish eat them ?

One of my best mates (obviously Polish) tells me he remembers his grandad and dad used to catch and keep them in the bath for Christmas day ?

• Haha 1
Just now, mushroom said:

The Polish eat them ?

One of my best mates (obviously Polish) tells me he remembers his grandad and dad used to catch and keep them in the bath for Christmas day ?

Yeah my  work mate says the same , grimm Xmas that ?

• Like 1
Just now, mushroom said:

The Polish eat them ?

Lol apparently their supposed to be really good if you know how to prepare them. I know alot of people who love fried buffalo ribs ( a buffalo being basic our native veron of a common carp). I know the Russians like them for soup and apparently they make a good curry as well. Again you have to know how to prepare them though

Apparently the silver's and bighead are actually highly saught after in Asia as food. Makes me wonder why it hasn't become big money to catch and re sell them )

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

My GF says when her and her folk fish the river their a big problem,jumping out the water in all. But I've never fished on the river so I wouldn't know first hand lol ? 

Apparently you can catch them with a hook though

Thanks I haven't ever heard of anyone fishing for them.

If y'all start having problems with silver's holler at me.Id be glad to drive down and thin em out.

6 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Lol apparently their supposed to be really good if you know how to prepare them. I know alot of people who love fried buffalo ribs ( a buffalo being basic our native veron of a common carp). I know the Russians like them for soup and apparently they make a good curry as well. Again you have to know how to prepare them though

Apparently the silver's and bighead are actually highly saught after in Asia as food. Makes me wonder why it hasn't become big money to catch and re sell them )

Big money, I saw a documentary about it mate

7 minutes ago, kanny said:

Yeah my  work mate says the same , grimm Xmas that ?

I've eaten a lot of Polish food (majority is fuucking lovely, especially eating pickled anything and pickled fish with mum's homemade vodka ?) but I'm not eating carp! ?

Edited by mushroom
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, mole trapper said:

I've just finished an eleven and a half hours over two days cutting mine.  That's why I have no time for fishing ?

One day I  will get down to visit you,  been saying that for about 12 years now ?

You know that you can get motorised  mowers these days? ? 

If you ever get around to it you will be more than welcome. 

Edited by Nicepix