So joined a UK carp group

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of carp anglers in the UK aren't really anglers in a broader sense. A bit like driven pheasant shooters aren't really countrysports people. They simply cannot see beyond their own narrow world. 

Wolfie and Ricky ,please join an air gunners page ,and get back to us .

Wolf dog reading that post

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Nicepix said:

The thing is carp fishing has attracted people who don't really know how to fish. They all set up the same way, all have their gear on display and use whatever bait is in fashion. Then it is just a case of waiting until they get lucky.  As someone has said; it is just camping with fishing rods. 

Fortunately for me there are lots of large carp in the rivers and huge lakes  near me that don't get any attention from the 5xB's s I call them  (boilies, bite alarm, bedchair & bivvie) brigade and that suits my style of fishing. Find the fish then come back another day and fish for them, four or five hours max. Most of them have never seen a bait and I rarely cast more than 7 metres.  The fish average between high teens and low thirties with some mid forties here and there.

20200707_141935.jpg.fa3b319c84191e58f8819d40ebc219c5.jpg

20200707_142015_resize_58.jpg.8808ad2c04f5ca7be8ed5af2f7640ce7.jpg

20210422_121152.jpg.1c13ee60f0c95284c7e7b7be3d73fcd8.jpg

20200821_150531.jpg.390a74abe3f13341b014af0ae6fe8031.jpg

20201215_150116_resize_23.jpg.dbbe4d538cb16015e9ee63d3cc0f2e41.jpg

I'm on me way ?

I done banger racing as a one of the youngest drivers,19 yrs old I recall.they used to give it Charlie big nuts,spray painted motors,etc,4.2 litre jags,tuned up engines,etc ....I used any ole banger but got decent cut tyres,"power is nothing without traction"!.I'd tell them. Won my first race 2nd meeting.all the gear no idea

4 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Geeeeeezzzzzuuuuz guys, three pages ! ? Hope y'all don't mind I take a little minute to respond to all this ?

Don't bother responding. Just get yourself a bow and go shoot the fckers!!! 

3 hours ago, Astanley said:

Wolfie and Ricky ,please join an air gunners page ,and get back to us .

Ugh I'm in one airgun group and it's like mostly UK guys and ......yeah it's difficult at times ?

11 hours ago, WILF said:

I can talk with a little bit of knowledge on this subject mate.....you are right, most of them are total pricks ! 

I was carp angling from about 1983 and over time the people carp angling changed massively.

While there remained some very good, knowledgeable lads....real countrymen who would have been as comfortable out shooting or ferreting or anything, a new breed of all the gear, no idea type anglers came along.

Happy to sit packed on a lake 10 yds from each other catching stock fish that were no different from the old “put & take” rainbow trout fisheries......throwing shit all over the show like animals.

They have no soul for the pastime, they just want to camp out, get pissed and own stuff !

At the time of the hunting ban, loads of them were all for it because they never, ever saw themselves as field sports men......and they wasn’t !

If they hadn’t have been fishing they would have owned a flash motorbike or some other shit that they were much too old for and bored the f***ing arse off other similar type meat heads about it every week end ! 

Instant bait, instant tackle, instant fish, instant angler !........sitting there catching f**k all every weekend and thinking they are Rod Hutchinson !

I chucked more of those types off lakes than enough when I was a bailiff and it’s one of the main reasons I used to fish mid week or in bigger deserted lakes......take no notice mate, half of them don’t have a clue what they are on about.

You know I noticed that ! Alot of these guys seem to be real bunny hugger types ! No real idea on how stuff work from out side their clean kept  mowed little pay lakes. Prime example

Screenshot_20210605-221811_1.png.0d3c08aecd8fcf44c01c76465ceb7de7.png

Like I've never seen Ik guy I'd consider actual outdoorsmen say crap out their ass like this.  Seem like they would happily vote against something they have no understanding of simply because they don't think it's right. Honestly I don't see how y'all do it ! Like here if you fish your probably also hunt or trap run does ect or are at least cool with it.its like a big family kinda. Over there seems like eveyone is off on their own and dosent care about the other guys so long as their not messed with. 

And don't get me stared on these guys with their obsession with buying everything. Christ ask about bait you get ten dude throwing out links to twenty different bait companies ?

3 hours ago, Nicepix said:

I've just cut the grass Jamie. You'll be welcome to pitch a tent on it. It's 28c at the mo'  ?

I've just finished an eleven and a half hours over two days cutting mine.  That's why I have no time for fishing ?

One day I  will get down to visit you,  been saying that for about 12 years now ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wolfdog91 said:

You know I noticed that ! Alot of these guys seem to be real bunny hugger types ! No real idea on how stuff work from out side their clean kept  mowed little pay lakes. Prime example

Screenshot_20210605-221811_1.png.0d3c08aecd8fcf44c01c76465ceb7de7.png

Like I've never seen Ik guy I'd consider actual outdoorsmen say crap out their ass like this.  Seem like they would happily vote against something they have no understanding of simply because they don't think it's right. Honestly I don't see how y'all do it ! Like here if you fish your probably also hunt or trap run does ect or are at least cool with it.its like a big family kinda. Over there seems like eveyone is off on their own and dosent care about the other guys so long as their not messed with. 

And don't get me stared on these guys with their obsession with buying everything. Christ ask about bait you get ten dude throwing out links to twenty different bait companies ?

Seen some program similar, Alaska state patrol or something but it showed the federal national park police (I forget their real name lol) making a real effort to catch people "body hooking" and coming down really hard on them. So their post about it being accepted over there is bs and a non starter ?‍♂️

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, mushroom said:

P.s. aren't carp an invasive species in the states?

Yes but common carp and grass carp aren't generally considered a problem.Silver carp and bighead carp are the ones that wreak havok on a rivers ecosystem.These are the jumping carp you might have seen on TV.These type can't be fished for as they are filter feeders.They consume most of the phytoplankton in a river system which leaves other fish like minnows to starve and in return bass and catfish have less to eat.

Here some rednecks chasing the "bad" carp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Yes but common carp and grass carp aren't generally considered a problem.Silver carp and bighead carp are the ones that wreak havok on a rivers ecosystem.These are the jumping carp you might have seen on TV.These type can't be fished for as they are filter feeders.They consume most of the phytoplankton in a river system which leaves other fish like minnows to starve and in return bass and catfish have less to eat.

Here some rednecks chasing the "bad" carp

I can't see that video mate. It's geo locked. Thanks for the lesson though, appreciated. You just educated me ??

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

(So just a pre-note this isn't a US vs UK thing . Not saying anyone is better or worse just asking and talking about my own experiences. )

So getting back into messing with carp so figured I'd join a FB group or two just because. Ended up in a few US based and few UK based....... Y'all I gotta ask, why so many friggen dicks on y'all said of the pond when it comes to carp ?! Now I understand fishing culture is a tad different over there  lot of your carp are raised to be trophies,their harder to catch ,stuff is more specialized , their an actual game fish yadda yadda yadda. Now I can totally respect that but Christ I swear the UK groups ( and I'm not bashing y'all in general just the folks doing it) are packed to the brim with these jack wagons that do nothing but go around making snide remarks if your not using an alarm or you using a lower priced reel or even just using a simple hair rig with corn over some double D reverse Ronnie snowman pop up rig or something. It's like if you not using the the most up to date and expensive stuff out there your not a actual carper.And God forbid if you don't have a dang unhooking mat in the picture ? 

Not to mention they do this to young anglers and beginners. I've seen alot if very very poor  language directed at beginners for posting pictures with there fish with some grass stuck to it. Like grown men cussing up a storm, to a kid, online, like what happened to mentoring and all that. 

Then us from the US take so much flak once they figure out where where from. Like I've posted a picture of my rig just saying " hay this it what I'm gonna try " to wake up to a strongly worded message in my inbox about how Americans are so barbaric for using barbed hooks for carp instead of barbless and how unrefined we are and a bunch of other crap ( seemed very very upset about how we usually just use corn on a hook instead of a Bollie and other stuff )from some dude living in the UK . Like it's the only personal message I've gotten but I've gotten and seen alot of comments very similar in nature. Like I get it we do kill them all ( heck last one I caught is in my freezer till I can render it down into fish oil )the time but their kinda prolific in many places and their not really a game fish for us so its different but that never seems to cross anyone's mind . 

I mean don't get me wrong I've had some wonderful chats with some very nice anglers. Had to explain a few things and kinda get a bearing on how thing are different here vs there but where very nice and fun to talk with but seems for everyone of those there's a " tackle tart or bivy queen (apparently that's what their called I've been told ??) acting like their a expert and can talk to anyone any way they feel or a duck hunter (as we call them) there to shoot down anyone whos mirror carp isn't 100% flawless or your not using latest tope tier carp handing accessories. 

Sooo with that rant over anyone wanna explain what's with these guys in the euro/UK groups? I mean we get guys like that in the US groups but not half as bad. Is it like this when your actually on the water or just online ?

Unfortunately most uk fb carp  groups are full of dickheads , they slag each other off and constantly back bitching lol don’t pay them any mind mate there dicks and just ruin it for everyone else , there are lad out there who will do there best to help young lads starting out , the majority tho will take it as an opitunity  to brag about how you need this and that when really you need a stick a hook a line and some  bait 

• Like 2