So joined a UK carp group

1 minute ago, WILF said:

If I could offer Wolfdog one bit of advice it would be ignore all those carp forums.

Fish and read, make mistakes, refer back and learn to try and understand what’s happening in front of you on the bank is happening.

There is excellent reading material out there, but I’d push you in the direction of Hutchy, Maddocks and (best of all in my opinion) Jim Gibbinson, specially “Big Water Carp”.......and excellent book that can be applied to all situations and really got me thinking differently back in the day.

Well worth looking for.

Maylin, Hearn, Lane are all about too much lads crack forward me but decent reads none the less.

Also, worth looking at stuff from top match anglers (pre carp pond era) to see how they approach building a swim and baiting etc etc 

Not aimed at Wolfdog at all.. but..

90% of all out carp lads now have missed the vital steps to become a good angler...no watercraft or understanding of why they are doing what they do...

So many look down their nose at you if you are an angler who doesn't camp out and sling a ton of boilies in a lake... but they have no idea how to run a stick float through a river, or bounce a link ledger through etc etc...

2 of the best anglers I've ever known were carp lads, back early 90s they were taking 40lb carp out of our canal when no one even knew they were there...

One of them, I worked with as a kid in the fishing shop, he's dead now but was an encyclopedia of knowledge (once he opened up..lol)...

He wanted to fish for the big carp in thd lower tidal exe, I lived right behind it and had a small punt with a 5hp engine...

We spent a day on the boat depth finding, using a pole with tape at 1ft increments to find deep pools or gravel, mud etc... he quietly caught some big carp after that on the river... I found a deep run under the face bank willow trees, and would wake 50 ft across the river at low water to run a float through, caught some cracking chub and ended up doing a mail mission in the Anglers Mail off it...15lb of fish in 4 hours was the mission...5 chub over 3lb in the first hour..lol 

He taught me loads, and the carp route was where he ended up through tons of experience rather than where he started by spending a ton of money...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of carp anglers in the UK aren't really anglers in a broader sense. A bit like driven pheasant shooters aren't really countrysports people. They simply cannot see beyond their own narrow world. 

Wolfie and Ricky ,please join an air gunners page ,and get back to us .

Wolf dog reading that post

Posted Images

The thing is carp fishing has attracted people who don't really know how to fish. They all set up the same way, all have their gear on display and use whatever bait is in fashion. Then it is just a case of waiting until they get lucky.  As someone has said; it is just camping with fishing rods. 

Fortunately for me there are lots of large carp in the rivers and huge lakes  near me that don't get any attention from the 5xB's s I call them  (boilies, bite alarm, bedchair & bivvie) brigade and that suits my style of fishing. Find the fish then come back another day and fish for them, four or five hours max. Most of them have never seen a bait and I rarely cast more than 7 metres.  The fish average between high teens and low thirties with some mid forties here and there.

20200707_141935.jpg.fa3b319c84191e58f8819d40ebc219c5.jpg

20200707_142015_resize_58.jpg.8808ad2c04f5ca7be8ed5af2f7640ce7.jpg

20210422_121152.jpg.1c13ee60f0c95284c7e7b7be3d73fcd8.jpg

20200821_150531.jpg.390a74abe3f13341b014af0ae6fe8031.jpg

20201215_150116_resize_23.jpg.dbbe4d538cb16015e9ee63d3cc0f2e41.jpg

• Like 7

In the US bowfishing for carp is the same as far as spending money.We are overpopulated with certain  carp though.So bowfishing helps reduce numbers but the spending is the same.Now days they think you need $100,000 airboat with a sorround sound stereo.Enough lights for a jet runway.I still do it the old fashioned way.Small Jon boat,a lurching lamp,one shooter.Thats how I taught my daughter and she still loves it.She got this one the other night(buffalo).I was a proud father.

695311839_Screenshot_20210613-0814122.png.1f0cfcade93083ad7cb178a7274c2e3d.png

The same boys with the big airboats who have to have all the new gadgets,rarely make it over 5 years.

It's not about what you spend on carp,It's about what you know about carp?

• Like 6
5 hours ago, WILF said:

I can talk with a little bit of knowledge on this subject mate.....you are right, most of them are total pricks ! 

I was carp angling from about 1983 and over time the people carp angling changed massively.

While there remained some very good, knowledgeable lads....real countrymen who would have been as comfortable out shooting or ferreting or anything, a new breed of all the gear, no idea type anglers came along.

Happy to sit packed on a lake 10 yds from each other catching stock fish that were no different from the old “put & take” rainbow trout fisheries......throwing shit all over the show like animals.

They have no soul for the pastime, they just want to camp out, get pissed and own stuff !

At the time of the hunting ban, loads of them were all for it because they never, ever saw themselves as field sports men......and they wasn’t !

If they hadn’t have been fishing they would have owned a flash motorbike or some other shit that they were much too old for and bored the f***ing arse off other similar type meat heads about it every week end ! 

Instant bait, instant tackle, instant fish, instant angler !........sitting there catching f**k all every weekend and thinking they are Rod Hutchinson !

I chucked more of those types off lakes than enough when I was a bailiff and it’s one of the main reasons I used to fish mid week or in bigger deserted lakes......take no notice mate, half of them don’t have a clue what they are on about.

Zzzzzzzhhhhhhhhhhhb

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, WILF said:

If I could offer Wolfdog one bit of advice it would be ignore all those carp forums.

Fish and read, make mistakes, refer back and learn to try and understand why what’s happening in front of you on the bank is happening.

There is excellent reading material out there, but I’d push you in the direction of Hutchy, Maddocks and (best of all in my opinion) Jim Gibbinson, specially “Big Water Carp”.......and excellent book that can be applied to all situations and really got me thinking differently back in the day.

Well worth looking for.

Maylin, Hearn, Lane are all about too much lads crack for me but decent reads none the less.

Also, worth looking at stuff from top match anglers (pre carp pond era) to see how they approach building a swim and baiting etc etc 

Wolf dog reading that post

4EF5D364-4285-49E6-B7DE-847334663FDD.gif

• Haha 8
7 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

In the US bowfishing for carp is the same as far as spending money.We are overpopulated with certain  carp though.So bowfishing helps reduce numbers but the spending is the same.Now days they think you need $100,000 airboat with a sorround sound stereo.Enough lights for a jet runway.I still do it the old fashioned way.Small Jon boat,a lurching lamp,one shooter.Thats how I taught my daughter and she still loves it.She got this one the other night(buffalo).I was a proud father.

695311839_Screenshot_20210613-0814122.png.1f0cfcade93083ad7cb178a7274c2e3d.png

The same boys with the big airboats who have to have all the new gadgets,rarely make it over 5 years.

It's not about what you spend on carp,It's about what you know about carp?

Great stuff!!

• Thanks 1

I’ve just recently returned to carp fishing after thirty odd years of barely wetting a line ( save for a couple of jaunts to the Ebro) , and to walk into a tackle shop and see where carp fishing had moved onto was staggering , I’ve never seen anything like it , carp fishing had gone from a pastime to a bloody science ! Where I went in to sort some line , hooks etc , I was still going to use my thirty year old rods , the sight of a million types of hook , every type of line from normal to braid to coated braid to shitcovered fast sinking stick up a fishes arse braid was to much , the two young guys running the place where as welcoming as tooth ache ..the cost of stuff was ridiculous , bed chairs for £500 , little tents £400 ,little radio controlled boats that drop you bait off eight miles away , again hundreds of pounds ..fcuking madness ..

Luckily out here we have a couple of reservoirs and a couple of big rivers were we fish , nothing massive ( biggest I can verify is 24lb) but great sport from wild fish ..I can’t believe what people spend to sit in a tent and watch or listen to alarms for a week at a time all the while delivering a ton of boillies by boat to grossly overweight unfit carp ..

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Not just carp fishing is it . Sea fishing And bushcraft Is same all about what expensive kit you can have or amount . 
but most hobbies if you think about it they try and get you to buy latest gadget or new improved version
 I stopped buying magazines when they went up to a fiver ?

Don't get me going about bushcraft. It seems the chances of you surviving a weekend in the Welsh countryside depends entirely on which brand of £300+ boots you wear and which hand crafted Swedish steel axe you carried. Some of the discussions on their forums make carp anglers seem normal. Some think you need to take a plasma pack for a few days wild camping and others want suggestions on where they can go to get away from it all, but must have 5G coverage. Winkers the lot of them.

• Like 1

The gear they carry you,d think they are moving home.when we was kids it was a running ledger with a square piece of luncheon meat held on with a blade of dry grass.bite alarm were the old style metal arm that bleeps when the line moves it.did nt the guy who caught the record carp on conningbrook????? Get death treats.???

5 hours ago, WILF said:

Fish and read, make mistakes, refer back and learn to try and understand why what’s happening in front of you on the bank is happening.

Well worth looking for.

Maylin, Hearn, Lane are all about too much lads crack for me but decent reads none the less.

I like Ken Townley's articles on the Haith Bait site. Loads of good info' on there especially for the lesser fished waters whers carp aren't preoccupied with boilies.

I personally don’t have anything against people having decent kit, I always use the adage of buy the best kit you can afford and use it.

It’s people  being a total prick I have a problem with ! Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1