So joined a UK carp group

(So just a pre-note this isn't a US vs UK thing . Not saying anyone is better or worse just asking and talking about my own experiences. )

So getting back into messing with carp so figured I'd join a FB group or two just because. Ended up in a few US based and few UK based....... Y'all I gotta ask, why so many friggen dicks on y'all said of the pond when it comes to carp ?! Now I understand fishing culture is a tad different over there  lot of your carp are raised to be trophies,their harder to catch ,stuff is more specialized , their an actual game fish yadda yadda yadda. Now I can totally respect that but Christ I swear the UK groups ( and I'm not bashing y'all in general just the folks doing it) are packed to the brim with these jack wagons that do nothing but go around making snide remarks if your not using an alarm or you using a lower priced reel or even just using a simple hair rig with corn over some double D reverse Ronnie snowman pop up rig or something. It's like if you not using the the most up to date and expensive stuff out there your not a actual carper.And God forbid if you don't have a dang unhooking mat in the picture ? 

Not to mention they do this to young anglers and beginners. I've seen alot if very very poor  language directed at beginners for posting pictures with there fish with some grass stuck to it. Like grown men cussing up a storm, to a kid, online, like what happened to mentoring and all that. 

Then us from the US take so much flak once they figure out where where from. Like I've posted a picture of my rig just saying " hay this it what I'm gonna try " to wake up to a strongly worded message in my inbox about how Americans are so barbaric for using barbed hooks for carp instead of barbless and how unrefined we are and a bunch of other crap ( seemed very very upset about how we usually just use corn on a hook instead of a Bollie and other stuff )from some dude living in the UK . Like it's the only personal message I've gotten but I've gotten and seen alot of comments very similar in nature. Like I get it we do kill them all ( heck last one I caught is in my freezer till I can render it down into fish oil )the time but their kinda prolific in many places and their not really a game fish for us so its different but that never seems to cross anyone's mind . 

I mean don't get me wrong I've had some wonderful chats with some very nice anglers. Had to explain a few things and kinda get a bearing on how thing are different here vs there but where very nice and fun to talk with but seems for everyone of those there's a " tackle tart or bivy queen (apparently that's what their called I've been told ??) acting like their a expert and can talk to anyone any way they feel or a duck hunter (as we call them) there to shoot down anyone whos mirror carp isn't 100% flawless or your not using latest tope tier carp handing accessories. 

Sooo with that rant over anyone wanna explain what's with these guys in the euro/UK groups? I mean we get guys like that in the US groups but not half as bad. Is it like this when your actually on the water or just online ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of carp anglers in the UK aren't really anglers in a broader sense. A bit like driven pheasant shooters aren't really countrysports people. They simply cannot see beyond their own narrow world. 

Wolfie and Ricky ,please join an air gunners page ,and get back to us .

Wolf dog reading that post

Posted Images

A lot of carp anglers in the UK aren't really anglers in a broader sense. A bit like driven pheasant shooters aren't really countrysports people. They simply cannot see beyond their own narrow world. 

I've often thought some of them maybe on the autistic spectrum. If they weren't on a carp lake with 6 named fish in it, trying to catch an individual carp at 6 oz heavier than it was when caught the week before then they would fill their time with something else as obsessive. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
38 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

(So just a pre-note this isn't a US vs UK thing . Not saying anyone is better or worse just asking and talking about my own experiences. )

So getting back into messing with carp so figured I'd join a FB group or two just because. Ended up in a few US based and few UK based....... Y'all I gotta ask, why so many friggen dicks on y'all said of the pond when it comes to carp ?! Now I understand fishing culture is a tad different over there  lot of your carp are raised to be trophies,their harder to catch ,stuff is more specialized , their an actual game fish yadda yadda yadda. Now I can totally respect that but Christ I swear the UK groups ( and I'm not bashing y'all in general just the folks doing it) are packed to the brim with these jack wagons that do nothing but go around making snide remarks if your not using an alarm or you using a lower priced reel or even just using a simple hair rig with corn over some double D reverse Ronnie snowman pop up rig or something. It's like if you not using the the most up to date and expensive stuff out there your not a actual carper.And God forbid if you don't have a dang unhooking mat in the picture ? 

Not to mention they do this to young anglers and beginners. I've seen alot if very very poor  language directed at beginners for posting pictures with there fish with some grass stuck to it. Like grown men cussing up a storm, to a kid, online, like what happened to mentoring and all that. 

Then us from the US take so much flak once they figure out where where from. Like I've posted a picture of my rig just saying " hay this it what I'm gonna try " to wake up to a strongly worded message in my inbox about how Americans are so barbaric for using barbed hooks for carp instead of barbless and how unrefined we are and a bunch of other crap ( seemed very very upset about how we usually just use corn on a hook instead of a Bollie and other stuff )from some dude living in the UK . Like it's the only personal message I've gotten but I've gotten and seen alot of comments very similar in nature. Like I get it we do kill them all ( heck last one I caught is in my freezer till I can render it down into fish oil )the time but their kinda prolific in many places and their not really a game fish for us so its different but that never seems to cross anyone's mind . 

I mean don't get me wrong I've had some wonderful chats with some very nice anglers. Had to explain a few things and kinda get a bearing on how thing are different here vs there but where very nice and fun to talk with but seems for everyone of those there's a " tackle tart or bivy queen (apparently that's what their called I've been told ??) acting like their a expert and can talk to anyone any way they feel or a duck hunter (as we call them) there to shoot down anyone whos mirror carp isn't 100% flawless or your not using latest tope tier carp handing accessories. 

Sooo with that rant over anyone wanna explain what's with these guys in the euro/UK groups? I mean we get guys like that in the US groups but not half as bad. Is it like this when your actually on the water or just online ?

I can talk with a little bit of knowledge on this subject mate.....you are right, most of them are total pricks ! 

I was carp angling from about 1983 and over time the people carp angling changed massively.

While there remained some very good, knowledgeable lads....real countrymen who would have been as comfortable out shooting or ferreting or anything, a new breed of all the gear, no idea type anglers came along.

Happy to sit packed on a lake 10 yds from each other catching stock fish that were no different from the old “put & take” rainbow trout fisheries......throwing shit all over the show like animals.

They have no soul for the pastime, they just want to camp out, get pissed and own stuff !

At the time of the hunting ban, loads of them were all for it because they never, ever saw themselves as field sports men......and they wasn’t !

If they hadn’t have been fishing they would have owned a flash motorbike or some other shit that they were much too old for and bored the f***ing arse off other similar type meat heads about it every week end ! 

Instant bait, instant tackle, instant fish, instant angler !........sitting there catching f**k all every weekend and thinking they are Rod Hutchinson !

I chucked more of those types off lakes than enough when I was a bailiff and it’s one of the main reasons I used to fish mid week or in bigger deserted lakes......take no notice mate, half of them don’t have a clue what they are on about.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 5
4 minutes ago, WILF said:

I can talk with a little bit of knowledge on this subject mate.....you are right, most of them are total pricks ! 

I was carp angling from about 1983 and over time the people carp angling changed massively.

While there remained some very good, knowledgeable lads....real countrymen who would have been as comfortable out shooting or ferreting or anything a new breed of all the gear, no idea type anglers came along.

Happy to sit packed on a lake 10 yds from each other catching stock fish that were no different from the old “put & take” rainbow trout fisheries......throwing shit all over the show like animals.

They have no soul for the pastime, they just want to camp out, get pissed and own stuff !

At the time of the hunting ban, loads of them were all for it because they never, ever saw themselves as field sports men......and they wasn’t !

If they hadn’t have been fishing they would have owned a flash motorbike or some other shit that they were much too old for and bored the f***ing arse off other similar type meat heads about it every week end ! 

Instant bait, instant tackle, instant fish, instant angler !........sitting there catching f**k all every weekend and thinking they are Rod Hutchinson !

I chucked more of those types off lakes than enough when I was a bailiff and it’s one of the main reasons I used to fish mid week or in bigger deserted lakes......take no notice mate, half of them don’t have a clue what they are on about.

My mate fishes most weekends. He doesn’t care if he blanks week after week. He just goes to neck Stella smoke joints and just de stress. All country sports have changed and none for the better ??

• Like 3

What pisses  me off  is the syndicates, 600 quid a year to fish a local reservoir that used to be for nowt as a kid all because of a carp named Dave or something. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
26 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

My mate fishes most weekends. He doesn’t care if he blanks week after week. He just goes to neck Stella smoke joints and just de stress. All country sports have changed and none for the better ??

The average carp angler now lasts less than 5 years, it’s a money making merry go round, must have all the top gear, then watch a few heavily edited dvd,s to make it look easy, then sit there disappointed that your not stacking up 30lbers like breeze blocks plus all the hate and jealousy that goes with it before selling all your top end gear on a second hand site for FA because it’s not top of the range any more ??

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, kanny said:

What pisses  me off  is the syndicates, 600 quid a year to fish a local reservoir that used to be for nowt as a kid all because of a carp named Dave or something. 

Syndicates are just like being a member of a little local shoot really mate.

The upside is that people are paying a hefty fee to fish so they tend to be more serious about it, the downside is that it can get used if the owner needs a few quid so he lets in loads of members and you are back to square one except it’s costing a fortune.

The bigger old reservoirs tend to be cheaper because they are hard and most of the new breed don’t want to fish them because they don’t have a clue how to approach something 120 acres plus.

Thats why it’s a shame there’s no carp here, the lakes are gigantic and it would be an amazing challenge to fish them. 

4 minutes ago, kanny said:

Joking aside and back to wolfies point he's right ,what chance do kids have around these crackpots. 

2 minutes ago, kanny said:

Same with the pike fishing, there obsessive… I fished a local pit for donkeys years till they let ppl have a go in the trout pond and one came out a few oz under the record now it’s fcuked and you can’t get on it.. gave up fishing big lakes after that and only fish rivers for wild fish now. 
loads better, I’ll take the kids to a free lake but that’s only so they don’t fall in and drown?

• Like 2
Just now, si brown said:

Same with the pike fishing, there obsessive… I fished a local pit for donkeys years till they let ppl have a go in the trout pond and one came out a few oz under the record now it’s fcuked and you can’t get on it.. gave up fishing big lakes after that and only fish rivers for wild fish now. 
loads better, I’ll take the kids to a free lake but that’s only so they don’t fall in and drown?

Same happened with  Muskham pits  after a couple of really good fish came out, the funny thing is the trent floods it  so they could be long gone anyway lol ?

• Haha 2
23 minutes ago, kanny said:

Joking aside and back to wolfies point he's right ,what chance do kids have around these crackpots. 

None.....and rightly so too.

These people have nothing to offer youngsters.

I was lucky in that carp fishing was really in its infancy when I started and there were some very good lads doing the rounds of lakes, especially in my area which were all the anglers from Essex and Kent.

I remember two lads who were up from Tottenham way, they had spent the previous season on Walthamstow and anyway, I was this skinny 12 year old sat there behind my fibreglass rods not doing very well.

Id been chatting to these two blokes all day and they said “Here son, let us give you a bit of advice” and showed me where to reposition my baits and told me why etc etc

Hey presto, that evening I caught a mirror of 7lb 14oz (funny how I remember that exact fish to this day!) and I was just over the moon !

The lads were equally delighted for me, bare in mind total strangers, and weighed it and took pictures for me.

They said “give us your address and we will post you the photo” and sure enough a month later the photo came through the post !.......I still have it to this day.

Those blokes are as rare as hens teeth now but I’m glad that’s those times are when I did my apprenticeship. 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 8
48 minutes ago, kanny said:

Kids need to catch fish as they don’t have the attention span for carp fishing which in reality is camping with the rods out, my boy had a little whip and would enjoy bagging up on small species, before taking a lap of the lake on his bmx or having a kick around with a ball as he grew up he understood watercraft and appreciated the surroundings, instant carpers are the ones that don’t last, it’s like those that buy a set of ping golf clubs join a club have 3/4 rounds with there mate before throwing them in the garage never to see the light again ??

• Like 2

If I could offer Wolfdog one bit of advice it would be ignore all those carp forums.

Fish and read, make mistakes, refer back and learn to try and understand why what’s happening in front of you on the bank is happening.

There is excellent reading material out there, but I’d push you in the direction of Hutchy, Maddocks and (best of all in my opinion) Jim Gibbinson, specially “Big Water Carp”.......and excellent book that can be applied to all situations and really got me thinking differently back in the day.

Well worth looking for.

Maylin, Hearn, Lane are all about too much lads crack for me but decent reads none the less.

Also, worth looking at stuff from top match anglers (pre carp pond era) to see how they approach building a swim and baiting etc etc 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1