2 hours ago, lurchers said:

You must of got the wrong one the mate as hand on heart ours didn’t hence why I ran them for 30yrs,

I remember back here in northern Ireland about 92 there was a lot of amazing chat and amazing feats done by a deerhound X saluki bull and his name was king...bred by another man in northern Ireland who done a lot of coursing and bred some top class hare dogs... But he didn't own the dog only bred him..  Now this dog was supposed to have done this and that and everything in between..was owned by what I would describe as 90% of the posters on this site...a well over weight biggest bragger full of shit hardly ever out semi dog peddler type...you couldn't buy anything of him to you reached in your hip pocket for the wallet but he had access to plenty of quarry il give him that...he lived rural thought us city men were a bit wet...he was the type might get out about 11 on a Sunday morning thinking he was doing some work... We were Monday Wednesday and Sunday on the shovel and a Monday Wednesday Friday night on the lamp men...

Dog was purchased at 5 years old for £150 that here in Ireland was strong money in those days was not purchased by me but by a mate  2 week trial.. best entertainment we ever got for £150... By 3rd day the dog had a new name ... QUEEN... And was returned and ? given straight back and quite a red face we returned so quickly...

I hear men asking about this x is best or this x... The best X is line bred lurchers doing it and doing it and doing it..by men who actually do it... There would be everything in the mix over time... But now breed and work true to type... And that means they can run catch and dispatch... And have consistently been doing it since the line began...

When money comes into play that's when ties are severed, they no longer have access to the real genuine stuff...so now  when services are refused they go to semi decent bitches but no affiliation then past names get thrown about when ousted...

• Like 3

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? Personally,..I believe that the initial hybridisation twixt two different types , whilst being more than satisfactory for most enthusiasts, invariably tempt many of us to go to the next stage, and t

Here's a wee first X wheaten...out X by the greyhound side... But the out X was actually a granddaughter of original site... 13 months old broken to stock... First time out ferreting...bolted 8 she ca

What I did was I told you a story that’s true and there are other witnesses on here. The bitch in question caught all of those things, she was never ever a hare dog, she just had a big enough heart to

Posted Images

I'm out of here  I started this thread to get folks opinions on first xs and what the xs can and do give on there own or as a starting point to put something else to it , most have given honest answers but for some its turned into another slaging match and this is why this forum going down hill and putting lads off posting as whats the point if all certain people can say my x the best the rest is rubbish and start calling each other on open forum  .

Have a good evening 

Atvb to you all 

Mooch

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

One particular animal that wasn't a first cross so is irrelevant to the discussion 

Thats 5/8 bull  stopped a good hare January on open land with law 

Tell me this mate how good can the hare  have been a 3/ 8 grey  wouldn't even bend one  ? 

Bags a rabbits you want me to believe that ? 

Is 5/8 bull its a dog a terrier man uses around a hole isn't it 

Not a winter hare killer with law 

Just making yourself look a plonker now dude. Lol. 

Fury and saluki fan boys are sickly creatures. Lol. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

One particular animal that wasn't a first cross so is irrelevant to the discussion 

Thats 5/8 bull  stopped a good hare January on open land with law 

Tell me this mate how good can the hare  have been a 3/ 8 grey  wouldn't even bend one  ? 

Bags a rabbits you want me to believe that ? 

Is 5/8 bull its a dog a terrier man uses around a hole isn't it 

Not a winter hare killer with law 

I said to you that I had seen one bitch of said breeding do that one time, and that the same bitch was capable of catching some decent bags of rabbits, and we also had success killing deer in the day and on the lamp, and lots of foxes day and night. That is all I said. I did not doubt, that the breeding she was, she was intended to be a terrier mans dog, and she did a lot of that as well. I wasn't suggesting anyone get a 5/8 bull to course hares. Just saying that when you say that every heavily bull blooded dog is useless for anything other than around a hole, i think you're wrong, given what I've seen. That bitch was 5/8 bull, but I've seen enough half xs that were racy enough to be useful rabbit lamping dogs and kill deer, fox etc on the lamp, on the run.

That is all i said, and that is all i claimed. And you called me a liar? I dont like to be called a liar. I am lots of things, but i am not a man who lies about dogs ,least of all dogs that are not or were not my own.

I couldn't care less who had the best dog and who thought what dog was best. But please dont call me a f*cking liar again.

2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

You don’t half talk some shite mate. Without wanting to get into it too much, it’s a bit like saying your saluki crosses are gutless plodders with about as much brain as a rock and the recall of a blind newt. 

?you talk some shite mate 

Was your first reply in this thread to me ? 

7 minutes ago, stop.end said:

I remember back here in northern Ireland about 92 there was a lot of amazing chat and amazing feats done by a deerhound X saluki bull and his name was king...bred by another man in northern Ireland who done a lot of coursing and bred some top class hare dogs... But he didn't own the dog only bred him..  Now this dog was supposed to have done this and that and everything in between..was owned by what I would describe as 90% of the posters on this site...a well over weight biggest bragger full of shit hardly ever out semi dog peddler type...you couldn't buy anything of him to you reached in your hip pocket for the wallet but he had access to plenty of quarry il give him that...he lived rural thought us city men were a bit wet...he was the type might get out about 11 on a Sunday morning thinking he was doing some work... We were Monday Wednesday and Sunday on the shovel and a Monday Wednesday Friday night on the lamp men...

Dog was purchased at 5 years old for £150 that here in Ireland was strong money in those days was not purchased by me but by a mate  2 week trial.. best entertainment we ever got for £150... By 3rd day the dog had a new name ... QUEEN... And was returned and ? given straight back and quite a red face we returned so quickly...

I hear men asking about this x is best or this x... The best X is line bred lurchers doing it and doing it and doing it..by men who actually do it... There would be everything in the mix over time... But now breed and work true to type... And that means they can run catch and dispatch... And have consistently been doing it since the line began...

When money comes into play that's when ties are severed, they no longer have access to the real genuine stuff...so now  when services are refused they go to semi decent bitches but no affiliation then past names get thrown about when ousted...

Seen that umpteen times mate over the years I say it how I see it and never bigged a dog up I remember years ago my mate went to go and look at a deerhoundx up at Carlisle the lad wanted £150 for this dog.We got there and the dog was supposed to be 3yrs old anyway we went out on the lamp to see it run a hare and it was the biggest pile of shite I have ever seen and it was running as if it wasn’t even trying.The lad looked and said what do you think,I started laughing and said it runs as if it’s 13yrs old and a terrier could of caught that hare never mind a lurcher.You could tell the dog was burnt out and was at least 8yrs old.He must of thought he hit the jackpot when we turned up but sick of his life when we walked away ?.

1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

Ok mate. You crack on. Just remember to turn the lights off when you leave ? 

Whats that suppose to mean 

You and your disciples boycotting the  hunting life ? 

Don't listen to my  shit we  won't go on lads ?

Here's a wee first X wheaten...out X by the greyhound side... But the out X was actually a granddaughter of original site... 13 months old broken to stock... First time out ferreting...bolted 8 she caught 4 .. by end of day she was listening... Marking and not chewing them up but catching and just sitting... Was great to watch to be honest... But it's in her whole linage if that makes sense ?

IMG20210605125048.jpg

• Like 12
4 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Cocker/Bull ? - Got no use for a first cross lurcher of any type these days.

In yesteryear those early Bull bloods were right up there using quality bull blood. Same with Beddys and quality Rillington stuff. The pastoral boys may say the same with their faves, and though i've owned a couple i couldn't tell you if collie crosses were better then or now.

Give me sommat line bred, off proven gear and i'll be happy. ?

That's about the truth of it ?