The Cornish & The English

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love Cornwall... I'm a Devon man (Pic of my bro enjoying the corniche life today!)  

All shit pics, my brother will have to send me some.... Estimated 80lb - 90lb

Doom doom doom.... f**k it...Sun on my face, my Dad, my bro and my son on a boat and I caught a shark which was big enough to put me in the club...but released it without measuring... life is her

Posted Images

There's a lot of them, the farther West you go, the Cornish are very proud of their heritage, some fanatically so.

Some tales of how some put broken glass on beaches, untill you point out that Cornish families use the beaches as well ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

Was there a pirate connection to Cornish history? Remember hearing something on the grape vine as to the origins of the unique accent.

One of the actors who played a pirate in the early days of "talkies" was from Cornwall and so, to this day, people often put on a Cornish accent whenever they impersonate a pirate.

Agree with the previous posts. I lived in Cornwall for three years in my early twenties while I studied Fine Art at Falmouth School of Art. I absolutely loved living there and have been trying (for the intervening thirty years) to get back to live in the West Country. Personally, I prefer Dartmoor, but there's definitely a certain something about living in Cornwall. I felt as though I was completely disconnected from the rest of England. It was as though, while watching the news, it was something which was happening in another country. Lovely slow pace of life too...I've been told that Ireland is similar.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, mole trapper said:

Couple of my mates truly hate anyone outside of Cornwall,  even devonians are classed as filthy English. I love winding them up by saying it doesn't matter as long as your west country ?

Know some Cornish lads and the crack all the time which is better is comedy gold 

3 hours ago, Neal said:

One of the actors who played a pirate in the early days of "talkies" was from Cornwall and so, to this day, people often put on a Cornish accent whenever they impersonate a pirate.

Agree with the previous posts. I lived in Cornwall for three years in my early twenties while I studied Fine Art at Falmouth School of Art. I absolutely loved living there and have been trying (for the intervening thirty years) to get back to live in the West Country. Personally, I prefer Dartmoor, but there's definitely a certain something about living in Cornwall. I felt as though I was completely disconnected from the rest of England. It was as though, while watching the news, it was something which was happening in another country. Lovely slow pace of life too...I've been told that Ireland is similar.

Try the Forest of Dean ?

• Like 1

Inwouldxnargvueb that you will not get a stronger identity thaN the Scottish English border region. 

its totally unique historically stretching back as faR as the 1600s 

to this day it’s very normal for lads to wear a Scotland top or England and be from the other side of the border 

the reiver families have largely stayed impartial over the years in Anglo border wars or would be taken as mercenaries to fight against their own countrymen . The aRmstrong family could put 5000 men into battle in horse. They were English and fcought mainly for the Scottish side. 

in the little town I come from , hardly one of my mates hasn’t a Scottish parent or grand parent.

the legacy of common riding , totally unique to the uk happens every summer from Annan to berwick 

it’s a very primordial thing seeing upwards of 5 6 hundred men on horseback waving flags 

A very underrated part of this great country

• Like 3
4 hours ago, mole trapper said:

Couple of my mates truly hate anyone outside of Cornwall,  even devonians are classed as filthy English. I love winding them up by saying it doesn't matter as long as your west country ?

When we moved down here we were living in a very Cornish enclave, we got loads of shit about taking Cornish jobs and the like.

Now they are happy because we're not Poles, Portuguese or Romanians ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, dytkos said:

When we moved down here we were living in a very Cornish enclave, we got loads of shit about taking Cornish jobs and the like.

Now they are happy because we're not Poles, Portuguese or Romanians ?

1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Exactly!  " When they came for the midlands ... "

1 hour ago, dytkos said:

Going to have to explain that one to me please mate?

Based on that famous thing about, to paraphrase;  ' When they came for the X's. I said, they are not my people, my concern, etc.' Yeah?

And so I see it with the current, ongoing invasion. As long as the brown kunts aren't washing up in 'Your' backyard? What's everyone else big problem with them?

The sweaties are a prime example of this. They think Hadrian's Wall will keep them back.

Cornwall / The West country in general has, thus far simply not witnessed the metastasis. So, they 'can' still be cocky; " Gooooarn! Fukk off, ye grockels! Fukkin blow ins! This is Our land! "

They'll come though. And, as they do? Those 'Proud Celts' will welcome even Poles, with open arms. Never mind white people, like you, whose first language is English. Better than living next door to a load of islamist paki's.

So, as I say; 'The Midlands ~ that growing brown stain on the map ~ is far away. Places like Cornwall can blow their trumpet. 

As they did when 'They' came for the Midlands.

Clear now? :)

• Thanks 1