Ever seen a working Afgan??

Was at a job in a customers property the other day an noticed 3/4 runners out in the back yard . Thought nowt of it an carried on with what I was doing. Looked up again and there’s an Afgan hound there with em. Got cracking to the customer about it an they told me they’d had it from a pup as more of a pet really , but were Gona give it a go in the field for abit of crack along side the others (all working dogs) 

Told me it’s had a few runs whilst out for a walk / mooch with the others and it’s a fair old sight seeing it in full stretch and described it as looking like a flying carpet in full flow haha?

would be interesting to hear if anyone has ever seen or heard of a working Afgan or maybe a lurcher with it in its make up ??

6 minutes ago, AndyD89 said:

Was at a job in a customers property the other day an noticed 3/4 runners out in the back yard . Thought nowt of it an carried on with what I was doing. Looked up again and there’s an Afgan hound there with em. Got cracking to the customer about it an they told me they’d had it from a pup as more of a pet really , but were Gona give it a go in the field for abit of crack along side the others (all working dogs) 

Told me it’s had a few runs whilst out for a walk / mooch with the others and it’s a fair old sight seeing it in full stretch and described it as looking like a flying carpet in full flow haha?

would be interesting to hear if anyone has ever seen or heard of a working Afgan or maybe a lurcher with it in its make up ??

Seen a few youtube vids with afghans/tazi in, in some of the mountainous regions that they're native to.  Looked a fair bit different to the modern show strain.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Seen a few youtube vids with afghans/tazi in, in some of the mountainous regions that they're native to.  Looked a fair bit different to the modern show strain.

Aye av seen a few bits on YouTube with them, like u say look pretty far removed from what u might find here

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Haven't seen a working Afghan but my mate has one that puts his two red cattle dogs to shame as a guard dog. He rescued him after someone dumped the dog in a stormwater drain.

Haha this person did say that this dog does have a tendency to be abit “stroppy”  ?

• Like 1

Saw an Afghan x Greyhound in Appleby years ago, nicest looking dog I've seen, but the owner assured me it couldn't catch a rabbit in a 'phone box !!!

The show stuff should never be compared to the working stuff in Central Asia.

Cheers.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

My sister had one back in the 70s the most brain dead untrainable mut I’ve ever come across , sulukis are einstiens compared to these usless animals

By me they 3 of the crap things, the temps are bad on them, don't think they got any recall, always on a lead, and there very nasty animals. I bumped into this couple with them few back, was blind corner by the wood, Buck was loose heard the barking growling etc, got to the corner, Buck stood in front of this male dog, he didn't do nothing just looked at,  both were loose, called him to me, he started to come to me, that sly twat tried  bite him, Buck just turned round to it put his head over its neck growling, the couple going nuts, that dangerous dog crap, said that thing you got dangerous, not my dog, good job Buck got good temp, or she been one less dog, I think there worst of all the pure sights hounds. 

1 hour ago, bird said:

By me they 3 of the crap things, the temps are bad on them, don't think they got any recall, always on a lead, and there very nasty animals. I bumped into this couple with them few back, was blind corner by the wood, Buck was loose heard the barking growling etc, got to the corner, Buck stood in front of this male dog, he didn't do nothing just looked at,  both were loose, called him to me, he started to come to me, that sly twat tried  bite him, Buck just turned round to it put his head over its neck growling, the couple going nuts, that dangerous dog crap, said that thing you got dangerous, not my dog, good job Buck got good temp, or she been one less dog, I think there worst of all the pure sights hounds. 

Spot on ray this one she had was a nasty barsteward you never get it back if it got off the lead and when on it it would pull you over to get what it wanted , and it was the thickest brainless dog I’ve ever known , it needed a lead injection behind the ear , you just couldn’t do anything with it 

• 4 weeks later...

Many years ago I lived in Bow, and behind our block of flats was an old disused works that was just hotching with cats. One of the families on the estate had an Afghan that would lie out at night on the grass between our block and the works, and it would nail any cat that came over the wall. In the time I lived there it must have done for tens, if not hundreds of them.

• Haha 3