A week to the day after receiving the awful news I decided to pay my own little tribute to my old buttie John - or 'gobby' as he was affectionately known to us by taking a walk out with the lurchers to the forestry and moors above our little village where we spent most of our childhood. In no time time at all those long forgotten memories came flooding back to me, like the time we miraculously found in pound note as we were literally in the middle of nowhere - we invested that wisely in pop and crisps when we got back home ?. Also, the time we saw a couple shagging in the forestry and crept up behind them until they realised they were being watched by 5 or 6 cheeky kids, never forget the woman screaming at us "F*ck off you little perverts" and Gobby shouting 'you've got a massive minge luv' as we ran away lol. The time we actually caught a rabbit, skinniest excuse of a rabbit you ever saw but we were absolutely chuffed to bits and talked about it for years. The time we had to walk down the mountain in pitch blackness because my little russel had gone to ground on a fox or rabbit and not for one nano second did anyone consider leaving him there to find his own way home. Was a very poignant couple of hours with a few laugh at loud moments as I remembered things that we said or did and few 'lump in the throat' moments. It did make me realise though that growing up in a small, scruffy mining village where most families were just about managing but people had pride and respect in our very, very tight knit community and looked out for and supported each other in times of hardship. We were very lucky to be able to spend hours on end up the mountain picking wimberries, blackberries, wild strawberries, hazelnuts and anything else we could get our hands on so we actually had a very rich upbringing which shaped the Men we became, this has been reflected in the comments on here that have described gobby as someone who would go out of his way to help anyone. We've lost a good 'un lads but he'd want us to crack on with our dogs and teach our kids the good old fashioned values that have sadly became quite rare in today's me,me, me society.

I'll definitely miss our very opinionated office chats about politics, society, lurchers and whatever else we decided- we called him 'gobby' for a reason??

• Like 13

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi, I’m John neice, I’ve just had this link sent to me by someone that knew my uncle.which may I add( thank you soo much) . words can’t describe how we’re feeling right now, but all your lovely commen

Having grown up with John he was a lifelong family friend, was best man at my Brothers wedding and a work colleague to myself for the last few years. As young kids our little gang spent god knows how

Walshie,  Can you change the comp title on here mate .. From now on its the "JohnnyBoy charity Fishing match"....  

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

We went for a walk up there yesterday was nice to be back ! Seems to be a few rabbits come back a seen a fox 

Allright Ow, yeah, they were hit really hard by mixi but have slowly started to re-populate, used to get a few jet black one's off there years ago.

Well, made the long drive home yesterday. Me and John were very close mates for a lot of years, sadly when I moved away we drifted further apart, but sadly that’s life. I’ve got so many good memories of the times we spent together, some I’ll share here at some point. But we spent a hell of a lot of time stomping hills and fields together and occasionally even stranger places like Alton towers! His kids were a big part of my life for a lot of years. I went to see Wales 1234 and the two of us went to see John’s Mrs and kids. They were pleased to see us, and as heart breaking as it was, it always amazes me the resilience of children. Following that we went for a walk up John’s mountain above the town he grew up in, where we spent so much time chasing stuff with the dogs and putting the world to rights. We remembered John and the good times we had. I could hear his voice and laugh up there and I’m sure that’s where he will be. 

• Like 7

I meant to say above, the main thing that the kids asked when we saw them, is could anyone who has any photos and especially videos with John in them, could they please forward them to me or Wales1234 (drop one of us a pm for a number), so that we can pass them on. The idea of forgetting things like the sound of their dads voice is a hard one, but there must be a few videos out there of John at the fishing competition etc which would be lovely for them to have. 

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I meant to say above, the main thing that the kids asked when we saw them, is could anyone who has any photos and especially videos with John in them, could they please forward them to me or Wales1234 (drop one of us a pm for a number), so that we can pass them on. The idea of forgetting things like the sound of their dads voice is a hard one, but there must be a few videos out there of John at the fishing competition etc which would be lovely for them to have. 

Is your mailbox full mate says you can not receive mail.

I have a few Photos from the last to comps.

PM me your number mate.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I've messaged Owain mate, will send pics etc i have and also get Sean C to send me pics from Cornwall comp, there were some good ones of us all in the sea on the kayak messing about and some of us fishing off the rocks...

Will sort this week mate.. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NEWKID said:

I've messaged Owain mate, will send pics etc i have and also get Sean C to send me pics from Cornwall comp, there were some good ones of us all in the sea on the kayak messing about and some of us fishing off the rocks...

Awesome Kev. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SINDASOX said:

I have just clicked on the link to donate, but it says donate through  "facebook pay "....i haven't got that....can i do it through paypal....???

SINDASOX

Same as …any other way ? ..

21 hours ago, welshphil said:

A week to the day after receiving the awful news I decided to pay my own little tribute to my old buttie John - or 'gobby' as he was affectionately known to us by taking a walk out with the lurchers to the forestry and moors above our little village where we spent most of our childhood. In no time time at all those long forgotten memories came flooding back to me, like the time we miraculously found in pound note as we were literally in the middle of nowhere - we invested that wisely in pop and crisps when we got back home ?. Also, the time we saw a couple shagging in the forestry and crept up behind them until they realised they were being watched by 5 or 6 cheeky kids, never forget the woman screaming at us "F*ck off you little perverts" and Gobby shouting 'you've got a massive minge luv' as we ran away lol. The time we actually caught a rabbit, skinniest excuse of a rabbit you ever saw but we were absolutely chuffed to bits and talked about it for years. The time we had to walk down the mountain in pitch blackness because my little russel had gone to ground on a fox or rabbit and not for one nano second did anyone consider leaving him there to find his own way home. Was a very poignant couple of hours with a few laugh at loud moments as I remembered things that we said or did and few 'lump in the throat' moments. It did make me realise though that growing up in a small, scruffy mining village where most families were just about managing but people had pride and respect in our very, very tight knit community and looked out for and supported each other in times of hardship. We were very lucky to be able to spend hours on end up the mountain picking wimberries, blackberries, wild strawberries, hazelnuts and anything else we could get our hands on so we actually had a very rich upbringing which shaped the Men we became, this has been reflected in the comments on here that have described gobby as someone who would go out of his way to help anyone. We've lost a good 'un lads but he'd want us to crack on with our dogs and teach our kids the good old fashioned values that have sadly became quite rare in today's me,me, me society.

I'll definitely miss our very opinionated office chats about politics, society, lurchers and whatever else we decided- we called him 'gobby' for a reason??

Great write up that. I think that’s why everyone at the fishing comp gets on so well. All had similar upbringings. Keep visiting the woods and the mountains. More memories will come back. Just don’t get caught being a little pervert ?

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, NEWKID said:

I remember Johnny catching a wave on my sit on top kayak. It took him all the way into the beach! He actually looked like he knew what he was doing! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4