Newbie Advice

Hello I hope this is in the correct section, Im really into my ferreting and after Convincing my other half we have agreed to get a lurcher. I never owned a dog before so ideally I'm looking for something that is forgiving and can Learn with me if that make sense so what mix of breeds would you surgest. I also have 3 kids and a baby on the way can you have a working dog aswell as a family pet or is it one or the other. I know the Internet is fall of info but has anyone got some good surgestions for a book that's worth a read? Atb chris

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Chris, given the county that you are intending to work in,..I would think seriously about some kind of whippet based hybrid.? I catch a few rabbits in East and West Sussex, and as you know, it

All my dogs were brought up with my kids and was pets when kids were little id find them asleep in the dogs bed with the dogs dogs loved the kids kids loved the dogs but also grafted most nights on la

I wouldn't trust any dog round little kids mate always supervised ?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mooseontheloose said:

Hello I hope this is in the correct section, Im really into my ferreting and after Convincing my other half we have agreed to get a lurcher. I never owned a dog before so ideally I'm looking for something that is forgiving and can Learn with me if that make sense so what mix of breeds would you surgest. I also have 3 kids and a baby on the way can you have a working dog aswell as a family pet or is it one or the other. I know the Internet is fall of info but has anyone got some good surgestions for a book that's worth a read? Atb chris

Hi Chris, given the county that you are intending to work in,..I would think seriously about some kind of whippet based hybrid.?

I catch a few rabbits in East and West Sussex, and as you know, it is extremely heavily wooded...

Such a terrain can sometimes harbour good amounts of conies,..and the facts are, when you are rabbiting in ditch bottoms, deep old hedgerows. brash, etc, there is no need for a very large jukel...As for keeping your rabbit dog as a family pet,..well, I've always liked my dogs around me ,  and as long as your chavies are fully aware that it is a dog, and not a toy, you should be ok...

Mind you, in certain cases, it is wise to have a kennel available, a quiet place where the dog can experience some down time, on its own..?

Try not to make things complicated ,.there is no secret to making a nice ferreting lurcher,.I am sure you will have some good old times this season..?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Hi Chris, given the county that you are intending to work in,..I would think seriously about some kind of whippet based hybrid.?

I catch a few rabbits in East and West Sussex, and as you know, it is extremely heavily wooded...

Such a terrain can sometimes harbour good amounts of conies,..and the facts are, when you are rabbiting in ditch bottoms, deep old hedgerows. brash, etc, there is no need for a very large jukel...As for keeping your rabbit dog as a family pet,..well, I've always liked my dogs around me ,  and as long as your chavies are fully aware that it is a dog, and not a toy, you should be ok...

Mind you, in certain cases, it is wise to have a kennel available, a quiet place where the dog can experience some down time, on its own..?

Try not to make things complicated ,.there is no secret to making a nice ferreting lurcher,.I am sure you will have some good old times this season..?

IMG_0305.JPG

Thanks mate for the advice, I was thinking a Bedlington whippet would the terrier make it abit head strong or are they pretty laid back? Regarding the sprogs it will be installed in them that messing about as such won't be tolerated and the kitchen will have a gate on so he or she can have some down time. I've looked online and the prices of lurchers are mental is this due to covid and hopefully prices will become more sensible. 

• Like 1
Just now, Mooseontheloose said:

Thanks mate for the advice, I was thinking a Bedlington whippet would the terrier make it abit head strong or are they pretty laid back? Regarding the sprogs it will be installed in them that messing about as such won't be tolerated and the kitchen will have a gate on so he or she can have some down time. I've looked online and the prices of lurchers are mental is this due to covid and hopefully prices will become more sensible. 

Beddy whippets be descent mate but sometimes are hard to get them from ditch bottoms lol 

Lads on here should be able to point  you right direction for type you need mate ? 

• Thanks 1

All lurchers make great pets around kids mate as they grow up with them and once out in the field they know there job once trained.If it’s just rabbits you are interested in go for a pure whippet or a beddy whippet but if beddy whippet go for a 3/4 bred just for that bit more speed.Some 1st xs can yap when chasing hence a 3/4 whip 1/4 beddy.I can’t see the prices coming down very soon so you can either sit it out or pay the money.But mind you there are some lads on here selling for top dollar but won’t admit it so be cautious in we’re you getting it from.

5 minutes ago, lurchers said:

All lurchers make great pets around kids mate as they grow up with them and once out in the field they know there job once trained.If it’s just rabbits you are interested in go for a pure whippet or a beddy whippet but if beddy whippet go for a 3/4 bred just for that bit more speed.Some 1st xs can yap when chasing hence a 3/4 whip 1/4 beddy.I can’t see the prices coming down very soon so you can either sit it out or pay the money.But mind you there are some lads on here selling for top dollar but won’t admit it so be cautious in we’re you getting it from.

Thanks mate for the advice, I'm in no rush I'd rather wait for the right dog but a 1k plus to me seems silly money considering the price pre pandemic but if anyone is selling the right type of dog at the right price it will have a forever working home so feel free to message me lol :)

• Like 1

All my dogs were brought up with my kids and was pets when kids were little id find them asleep in the dogs bed with the dogs dogs loved the kids kids loved the dogs but also grafted most nights on lamp ferreting and with the terriers.i think bringing them up together it worked mate so dog from a pup they get used to family life and working and benefit from both

• Like 6

I would say collie whippet grey but i don't trust collies around kids I've had a couple in the house but are saluki types and been with the kids since 6-8 week old. My first d9g was a beddy  whippet grey and was ace I'd have another in a heartbeat but 99% are just bred for the money now not from working stock. D9nt rush in and buy one wait for the r8ght litter to come up at the sensible price 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Kalibrgun said:

I would say collie whippet grey but i don't trust collies around kids I've had a couple in the house but are saluki types and been with the kids since 6-8 week old. My first d9g was a beddy  whippet grey and was ace I'd have another in a heartbeat but 99% are just bred for the money now not from working stock. D9nt rush in and buy one wait for the r8ght litter to come up at the sensible price 

How come you don't trust collies around kids if you don't mind me asking

Find something who's parents do what you want and ask as many questions as you can about them but also check the parents temperament out and have a look at the environment there kept in is it clean ect and are they wormed up to date that should give you a indication and if your not happy about something walk away good luck in your search if possible some one of here might come with you for a potential viewing 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mooseontheloose said:

How come you don't trust collies around kids if you don't mind me asking

I've had one that was a cnut  and saw another would nip the lads kids on the legs we put it down to herding instinct but wouldn't trust any dog alone with kids only takes switch to flick and could be the i know lads will and won't agree but how can you predict what an animal will it won't do  just some breeds are a bit more tolerant of being climbed on and pulled about than others l. My pup at the min will go to her bed if the kids start being kids but I've drilled it into her not to play with them or jump about them. Puppy nips will get harder the more the grow 

11 hours ago, Kalibrgun said:

All my lurchers apart from 1 had collie in the 1 that didn't was a greyhound deerhound 1st Cross and never had a problem.at the min I have a lab that thinks he's a kid hes 5 my youngest lad is 6 and they disapear in garden playing together on there own when we go on walks they are like best mates I think its all down to how they are brought up together when lab was a pup and lad was around 1 they'd be in paddling pool together if took 1 out other one used to start kicking off haha ? ? so have always interacted and this helps massively rather than shutting in a cage I think

• Like 2

I agree completely I use the cage for nights 

1 hour ago, Councilestatekid said:

All my lurchers apart from 1 had collie in the 1 that didn't was a greyhound deerhound 1st Cross and never had a problem.at the min I have a lab that thinks he's a kid hes 5 my youngest lad is 6 and they disapear in garden playing together on there own when we go on walks they are like best mates I think its all down to how they are brought up together when lab was a pup and lad was around 1 they'd be in paddling pool together if took 1 out other one used to start kicking off haha ? ? so have always interacted and this helps massively rather than shutting in a cage I think

I agree with what you’re saying mine r same always into things with kids I personally find it easier to house train your not walking in little puddles or presents puppies leave u through the night while everyone upstairs in bed

96001A98-6610-4640-BDDD-14E3AF1C6B50.jpeg

ACCE0D28-0E39-42D5-B804-9AF30FE213A3.jpeg

• Like 1